Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 01:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #14127
2017 Thor Aria 3901 Wallpaper Issues

See attached pictures. This is on a 2017 Thor Aria 3901. Significant build quality issues as others have mentioned...but we still love the coach. Any recommendations on how to repair the wallpaper peeling throughout the coach? We live in AZ, so I think the heat may be contributing to its peeling. Can't say for sure though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-02 08.51.51.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	19411   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-02 08.51.07.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	19412  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-02 08.53.33.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	19413  

Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Looks like a heat, humidity issue to me, not a Thor build issue. Did you contact Thor or the dealer who sold you the unit?
Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #14127
It could be heat/humidity for sure. It has gotten worse in the past couple months. I contacted Thor and they are looking into it. Haven't taken it to the dealer (I actually bought the coach used). In the meantime, wondering if I can just reapply some wallpaper adhesive and prevent the curling.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
Answer to that question is YES. You can add adhesive for sure. If you want it permanent you can use woodworkers glue, the yellow stuff.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: California
THOR #791
We have a 2014 Hurricane 32A. The wallpaper is wrinkled or peeling around the entry door, windows and cabinet corners, also peeling inside of the cabinets. The wallpaper was glued right on to plywood which probably soaked up much of the glue that was used. This is a very poor technique when installing wallpaper!
We live in Ca so moisture/humidity is not an issue. Heat could be, my garage is not large enough to store my coach indoors. Most rigs are stored outdoors, this should not be an issue. Just a crappy install.
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Roadmaster F & R Sways, Safe-T-Plus, Koni's
hexrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #6

Model: Venetion
State: Nevada
THOR #19899
Having the same wallpaper issue. I am in Las Vegas I am sure its heat. I was thinking of just taking the paper down and painting the plywood. Anyone else consider this or even better tried it. I would love to hear your thoughts
Old 02-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #7

THOR #791
Taking the paper off to paint may be a good idea. Big job however! I used wallpaper glue to fix ours. Not perfect but it stopped the progression of the peeling. On another reply the respondent states it's not a Thor issue. I beg to differ, other coaches do not have this issue. Thor builds as quickly as possible thus quality suffers.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Jkfirecap has the right attitude:
Find a way to make yourself happy instead of layming blame.
Layming blame is a fine thing when under warranty and a promise was made.

It Is your rv, yours alone, with no other affiliation.

Be happy. MAKE yourself be happy.
It's a small percentage of the purchase price to have those walls redone to your exact liking.

Some of us here, you'll never read of our confoundment about Thor and build quality or John Deere and build quality or mercedes and build quality.

You'll only find blurbs written and pictures posted of how we made our rv ours .

Do you know why some 8 year old BMW or mercedes or maserati sells for 80% below new retail?
Broken things and ratty ass work is why.

FIX THE RV OR HAVE YOUR EXTENDED WARRANTY FIX THE RV.
If wall paper is a grousing point, selling might be best.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfirecap View Post
Having the same wallpaper issue. I am in Las Vegas I am sure its heat. I was thinking of just taking the paper down and painting the plywood. Anyone else consider this or even better tried it. I would love to hear your thoughts
If you decide to take this approach: we'd love to see the results.../
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Look up:
Automotive body wrap.
Fantastic stuff.
So many colors and textures and completely waterproof.
Woodgrain to chrome, and installs easily or remvove the panel and take it to a pro.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=car+body+wrap&ref=nb_sb_noss

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #11

THOR #791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Jkfirecap has the right attitude:
Find a way to make yourself happy instead of layming blame.
Layming blame is a fine thing when under warranty and a promise was made.

It Is your rv, yours alone, with no other affiliation.

Be happy. MAKE yourself be happy.
It's a small percentage of the purchase price to have those walls redone to your exact liking.

Some of us here, you'll never read of our confoundment about Thor and build quality or John Deere and build quality or mercedes and build quality.

You'll only find blurbs written and pictures posted of how we made our rv ours .

Do you know why some 8 year old BMW or mercedes or maserati sells for 80% below new retail?
Broken things and ratty ass work is why.

FIX THE RV OR HAVE YOUR EXTENDED WARRANTY FIX THE RV.
If wall paper is a grousing point, selling might be best.
I wish I could have a better outlook on Thor but my experience has left a sour taste. We've had many many issues;

*The cabinet hinges pull out from the pressed wood anchors at their base. Our mirrored doors nearly fell off which would have sent glass shards everywhere.
*The wallpaper is either wrinkled or peeling everywhere. (We are in So Cal so it's not a moisture issue.) The wallpaper is glued to plywood. Either not enough glue was used or the glue used was crap. Who applies wallpaper directly to porous plywood anyway? Just plain stupid!
*The large slide-out hole was cut out of square and the slide stopped working. I had to spend thousands of dollars to have someone replace the whole guide system and motors they had to jury rig it so it would work properly. It had been in the shop multiple times under warranty for this repair. They simply did not want to knowledge what the real issue was. I had to take it to a third party to get an honest diagnosis and repair, by this time it was out of warranty.
*The exterior ladder comes loose all the time and constantly need to be re tightened. This also was looked at under warranty. I was told it was fixed but I was lied to and repairs were shoddy.
*The PLASTIC kitchen and bathroom faucets broke which I replaced myself with higher quality ones.
*The water pump was noisey; I had to replace that with a more quieter unit.
*The chassis A/C will not blow out of the dash vents, only works at the defroster vents.
*The propane regulator failed and had to be replaced.
*There is a short in the TV cable system somewhere; we are unable to get a picture without snow.
*The spring loaded cabinet door supports come loose because they are screwed into cheap pressed wood, constantly needing repair.
*Moldings at the top of the slide on the interior are dislodged when the slide is moved out as it is out of alignment. One cracked needing repair, it fell off when on the road nearly hit my daughters friend in the head!
*The miss-aligned large slide-out damaged the linoleum floor from an upholstery staple that was used (not seated all the way) on the bottom of the dinette , indented and scratched the flooring.
*Driver window rattles like crazy on the highway.
*Hydraulic hose connections for the leveling system were loose from the factory which flooded the pump area and the ground with hydraulic fluid.
*Front windshield curtain hangers were rusted from the factory damaging the cloth loops that hang the curtain.
*The upholstery is beginning to crack everywhere, bad batch of material. Thor says the company they used is no longer in business, will not fix it.
*Lights in the dashboard were not working, fixed under warranty.
*The main entry door latch was very hard to open if heated up by sun exposure. Wife could not open the door.
*Backup light was mounted upside-down and filled with water from a wash or rain.
*One of the hood latches fell off on the highway somewhere.
*Headlights were badly miss-aligned.
*Chassis HVAC blower motor squeaks at any speed.
*Some of the adjustable cabinet shelves cannot be adjusted because the shelf is not wide enough to meet the PLASTIC shelf supports, or the cabinet was made too wide. I don't know which it is?
*Bathroom fan not installed correctly, made a bunch of noise, come to find out the frame was bent and had to be replaced.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrays View Post
I wish I could have a better outlook on Thor but my experience has left a sour taste. We've had many many issues;

*The cabinet hinges pull out from the pressed wood anchors at their base. Our mirrored doors nearly fell off which would have sent glass shards everywhere.

*The wallpaper is either wrinkled or peeling everywhere. (We are in So Cal so it's not a moisture issue.) The wallpaper is glued to plywood. Either not enough glue was used or the glue used was crap. Who applies wallpaper directly to porous plywood anyway? Just plain stupid!

*The large slide-out hole was cut out of square and the slide stopped working. I had to spend thousands of dollars to have someone replace the whole guide system and motors they had to jury rig it so it would work properly. It had been in the shop multiple times under warranty for this repair. They simply did not want to knowledge what the real issue was. I had to take it to a third party to get an honest diagnosis and repair, by this time it was out of warranty.

*The exterior ladder comes loose all the time and constantly need to be re tightened. This also was looked at under warranty. I was told it was fixed but I was lied to and repairs were shoddy.

*The PLASTIC kitchen and bathroom faucets broke which I replaced myself with higher quality ones.

*The water pump was noisey; I had to replace that with a more quieter unit.

*The chassis A/C will not blow out of the dash vents, only works at the defroster vents.

*The propane regulator failed and had to be replaced.

*There is a short in the TV cable system somewhere; we are unable to get a picture without snow.

*The spring loaded cabinet door supports come loose because they are screwed into cheap pressed wood, constantly needing repair.

*Moldings at the top of the slide on the interior are dislodged when the slide is moved out as it is out of alignment. One cracked needing repair, it fell off when on the road nearly hit my daughters friend in the head!

*The miss-aligned large slide-out damaged the linoleum floor from an upholstery staple that was used (not seated all the way) on the bottom of the dinette , indented and scratched the flooring.

*Driver window rattles like crazy on the highway.

*Hydraulic hose connections for the leveling system were loose from the factory which flooded the pump area and the ground with hydraulic fluid.

*Front windshield curtain hangers were rusted from the factory damaging the cloth loops that hang the curtain.

*The upholstery is beginning to crack everywhere, bad batch of material. Thor says the company they used is no longer in business, will not fix it.

*Lights in the dashboard were not working, fixed under warranty.

*The main entry door latch was very hard to open if heated up by sun exposure. Wife could not open the door.

*Backup light was mounted upside-down and filled with water from a wash or rain.

*One of the hood latches fell off on the highway somewhere.

*Headlights were badly miss-aligned.

*Chassis HVAC blower motor squeaks at any speed.

*Some of the adjustable cabinet shelves cannot be adjusted because the shelf is not wide enough to meet the PLASTIC shelf supports, or the cabinet was made too wide. I don't know which it is?

*Bathroom fan not installed correctly, made a bunch of noise, come to find out the frame was bent and had to be replaced.

Unfortunately that’s not unusual for pretty much any RV at any price. Most of these items are DIY repairs. Sure you shouldn’t have to but it’s easier to fix it than be miserable. ducksface is a bit hard nosed about it but he’s right. Just fix it and go enjoy your coach. Mine (SOB) nearly always has something that needs fixing. For something as big as your slide problem I wonder why you didn’t get it fixed during the warranty. Thor would have taken care of it.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #13

THOR #791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Unfortunately that’s not unusual for pretty much any RV at any price. Most of these items are DIY repairs. Sure you shouldn’t have to but it’s easier to fix it than be miserable. ducksface is a bit hard nosed about it but he’s right. Just fix it and go enjoy your coach. Mine (SOB) nearly always has something that needs fixing. For something as big as your slide problem I wonder why you didn’t get it fixed during the warranty. Thor would have taken care of it.
Thanks. I am pretty handy and have fixed the issues I am capable of fixing and do enjoy our times out. The slide was repaired under warranty but not correctly. Thor was not going to spend any more time and money according to the dealer and I was told it was fixed. One year later it stopped working while we were camping.
The dealer in Westminster Ca. who serviced it went out of business and the Camping World near me has a terrible reputation. I took it to a third party and they found the gears and the tracks of the Lippert system had been chewed up from misalignment. They had to replace the whole slide-out system and make modifications so it aligned correctly. The box or the cut-out was not made correctly at the factory. It was just a matter of time before failure occurred.
In making repairs throughout the coach I find missing screws, screws not completely seated and many examples of hurried and poor workmanship. If only slightly more effort were put into quality control many issues could have been avoided. It just bothers me that it is so sloppily done. To me this was a large investment and I expect more from for my money. That's just me.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:32 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
2017 Thor Aria 3901 Wallpaper Issues

Wow!!! [emoji51]
Any ways back to the wall paper topic. My opinion would be to peel the paper and prime and paint the wall. I’ve seen makeovers that look amazing with what some colors can do. And to get away from the drab brown colors on the interior. That wallpaper can also be a mold trap.
Vinyl wrap wouldn’t be the way to go as vinyl needs a good substrate to adhere to. Some easy Google search will tell you just that.
“Wood is not the best choice for Vinyl
Actually unsealed wood, plywood and even painted plywood are not good substrates for vinyl. Vinyl is an adhesive backed film that is expected to last for years outdoors in all kinds of weather. To achieve that longevity, the adhesive must have a firm bond with the substrate. This requires the use of very smooth substrates like glass, corrugated plastic, foam core, and painted aluminum. Rough surfaces like unfinished wood will not provide a sufficient bond with the adhesives used on vinyl films. The vinyl may stick initially, but sooner or later (probably sooner), it’s going to come off.”
Paint it... it’s quick and easy.
Just my opinion.