Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
house batteries not charging

2015 thor windsport hurricane 34f. Click image for larger version

Name:	20171123_163013_resized.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	7907 during the writing of my problem I actually found most of the solution, but thought id' run it by someone else.
sitting in my driveway I found leveling jacks wouldn't work,said low volts, no other issues,checked house batts,4.5 volts,whoa, all other 12v functions work fine,found batts wont charge with engine running,gen wont start,i'm hooked to shore power,output of converter is 14v.fusebox had 12 or 14 volts (don't remember which) all fuses and breakers good. I found a box under the bed that was between batts and converter,(turned out to be the store/use switch relay) it had 14 volts on input side and 4.5v on batt side.the red wire (fused)for the relay was hooked to the batt (output) side.(so the relay will only work if the batts have approx. 12volts.
turns out someone hit the store switch,the batts were isolated so they didn't charge even though hooked to shore power.so, they only way to charge my batts is to externally charge the batts enough to hit the "use" button, or change the red wire to the converter side of the relay but it seems then it would only work when the converter is on(gen or shore power).
maybe the answer is don't mess with the store/use button. any thoughts? also,should my house batts charge with engine running?

Old 11-24-2017, 12:40 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
The house batteries will charge with the engine rerunning but I'm pretty sure only if set to "in use".

May have to put a charger on it. I didn't realize it took that much for the in use/store switch to work. Good to know.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
When use/store is in use, house batteries will charge from engine alternator. Gives you the ability to keep things like refrigerator going when on the road without killing house batteries.