Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2018, 01:56 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post
Hello all, again...

I was about to have the dealer deliver my various parts (PDI issues), but today discovered yet ANOTHER lack of PDI attention, i.e. the engine AC doesnt work (does not cycle on). You'd think they'd have discovered this during their drive to the RV show in 100 degree weather...

Does anyone happen to know what the Axis engine AC refrigerant capacity is? Non-cycling low-side pressure is approx. 55 @ 70 degrees. I attached a pic, but of course it's rotated after my upload. This is the ONLY forum I've used that does this, and for being a continual problem, is ridiculous.

I'm thinking it's low, and not having enough pressure to engage the AC compressor clutch. I'm hoping there isn't a leak...

Haven't driven it a mile since bringing it home. I feel like I have to go over every inch of this "RV" in order to feel safe in it.

Also, I think there may be many of us who are not happy with having to use our emails & passwords. If this was a secure site, I'd be okay with it. But, it's not. Noltice the red triangle with the "Not secure" warning... I had to log in 3x while attempting to post this.
Pretty sure it is not a Ford unit. My Axis is not. Thor confirmed this. Also sent me a link for the company that makes it and a PDF for the complete manual.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
When you try to run the a/c does the compressor clutch engage?
I'm not sure of fords but almost all a/c clutch fuses are 10amp and would be in the fuse box with all of the oem ford fuses.
If you can find someone with a good quality scan tool (I have the snap on)
but I can bypass all switches and sensors and engage the compressor to rule out a bad compressor clutch, wiring, fuses and the only thing left would be either low on Freon or either the low or high pressure sensor which can be read with the scan tool, get your vin number and call any ford service dept and ask how much Freon the system is supposed to have in it.
So the only problem left is how much is in the system, if you know anyone with a a/c recycling machine most shops dealers and small shops would have them ask the to pull out all the Freon see how much you get, I would put some a/c dye in the system first and recharge it and run it for awhile then look for the dye.
Thanks. Will see if my harbor freight scanner will do it. Im hoping to locate the AC clutch fuse to see if its fuse is in. Been busy this week.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #23

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor Industries has 17+ factories. Each factory operates independently. To criticize Thor Industries without a representative sample of their work is unfair. Many of us with Plant 750 coaches have never been back to a dealer for any coach repairs or warranty work. Unfortunately, I have been involved in two wrecks with my coach. Thor supplied my RV repair place (Iron Horse RV) with the required body parts and pieces in less than two weeks; including a repaint in January, I was back on the road in three weeks.

Thor plant 750 does not turn out perfect coaches, but any dealer worth his/her salt will use the Thor supplied PDI checklist to correct the few defects that factory eluded the factory inspectors. I spent a year researching Thor dealers before I chose one 615 miles from home. In three years and 27,000 miles, I have not regretted that decision to make the six day trip to drive and live in my coach for two days before leaving the dealer's delivery area and returning home.
Yeah well... You don't care for your 87 year old father w/Parkinsons and 83 year old elderly diabetic mother 24/7, do you? Well, I do...
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #24

THOR #13661
On another note...

My Harbor Freight scan tool doesnt have the AC funtion. I did check the AC clutch fuse and relay in the Ford fuse box. Are there any other fuse and/or connection locations on an Axis? Can't see crap in that engine compartment.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor Industries has 17+ factories. Each factory operates independently. To criticize Thor Industries without a representative sample of their work is unfair. Many of us with Plant 750 coaches have never been back to a dealer for any coach repairs or warranty work. Unfortunately, I have been involved in two wrecks with my coach. Thor supplied my RV repair place (Iron Horse RV) with the required body parts and pieces in less than two weeks; including a repaint in January, I was back on the road in three weeks.

Thor plant 750 does not turn out perfect coaches, but any dealer worth his/her salt will use the Thor supplied PDI checklist to correct the few defects that factory eluded the factory inspectors. I spent a year researching Thor dealers before I chose one 615 miles from home. In three years and 27,000 miles, I have not regretted that decision to make the six day trip to drive and live in my coach for two days before leaving the dealer's delivery area and returning home.
Quote:
Yeah well... You don't care for your 87 year old father w/Parkinsons and 83 year old elderly diabetic mother 24/7, do you? Well, I do...
Why would you respond that way to someone trying to give you information?

If you have other commitments that keep you from RVing, then don't RV.

If you have problems with your brand new Axis that covered by warranty and you can't fix it, then take it to a dealer.

If you don't think this site is secure, then don't log in.

It appears you are the type that always has something to complain about.

If you encounter an obstacle then spend your energy figuring out how to overcome it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #26

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post

1. If you have other commitments that keep you from RVing, then don't RV.

2. If you have problems with your brand new Axis that covered by warranty and you can't fix it, then take it to a dealer.

3. If you don't think this site is secure, then don't log in.

4. It appears you are the type that always has something to complain about.

5. If you encounter an obstacle then spend your energy figuring out how to overcome it.
1. You shouldn't be giving any advice on "commitments" and RVing. Frankly, that was awfully rude comment to give to a Medal of Valor recipient...
2. Im working on that... Thanks.
3. I used a different PW, Thanks again.
4. I guess I expect something safe, and in good working order, for $75k
5. Adapting and overcoming. Thanks for the concept, As a retired Sniper, I wish would've heard of it sooner... What would I do without you. Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
1. You shouldn't be giving any advice on "commitments" and RVing. Frankly, that was awfully rude comment to give to a Medal of Valor recipient...
So it wouldn't be rude if you weren't a Medal of Valor recipient? Not that I thought it was rude, you're the one who brought up your other commitments in your post.

I don't need to blow my own horn regarding my career in the service to understand what you have been used to, and I also understand about external commitments as I also take care of my 93 year old WWII 30 year retired Navy father with dementia. It certainly limits our use of our coach. Unfortunately, $75K is not a lot to spend in the MH arena and although we all would like to not deal with lack of quality and simple attention to detail issues in the RV industry these days, it is a fact of life.

I have made my share of complaints and snide remarks about Thor as have many other users here and I analogize for my last post directed at you but your comment just appeared unnecessary and rude.

I hope you get your issues resolved and are able to enjoy your coach soon.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #28

THOR #13661
Quote:
So it wouldn't be rude if you weren't a Medal of Valor recipient? Not that I thought it was rude, you're the one who brought up your other commitments in your post.
It was rude, dude... How many elderly are rotting in old folks homes and forgotten about. I'm taking mine with me, and I'm in my prime. Can you blame me for ASS-U-R ing that I provide a safe vehicle?

"Horn toot" - I'm also an ASE Certified Mechanic, which is why I like to do as much of my own work as possible. As you've read over your Thor tenure, quality is lacking. Peruse my repairs since post #1. If you don't like my posts, block me.

Apology accepted. You're the kind that need to REALLY think about things before you say them. JMHO
Old 01-07-2019, 11:09 PM   #29

THOR #13661
"$75K is not a lot to spend in the MH arena and although we all would like to not deal with lack of quality and simple attention to detail issues in the RV industry these days, it is a fact of life."

It's a fact of life because sheeple allow it.

Listen, solving many of these problems are simple. For example, Thor has been using "Command Electronics" tail light lenses for years, despite countless leaky lense complaints (mine being one of them. Brand new and water soaked wood under my lenses.

It's a CLEAR design flaw that is accentuated with those crappy thin foam gaskets that water flows right by the gaps between the top screws. My fix will last 50 years... Command Electronics needs to redesign them with 4 holes top and bottom, not 3, OR Thor needs to use extra thick butyl tape. Im not the only one to observe this. So, rather than fix it, Thor chooses to keep using them. Hence, willful and culpable.

That's just 1 of many examples.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Michigan
THOR #11639
No dash AC on my unit

Quote:
Hello all, again...

I was about to have the dealer deliver my various parts (PDI issues), but today discovered yet ANOTHER lack of PDI attention, i.e. the engine AC doesnt work (does not cycle on). You'd think they'd have discovered this during their drive to the RV show in 100 degree weather...

Does anyone happen to know what the Axis engine AC refrigerant capacity is? Non-cycling low-side pressure is approx. 55 @ 70 degrees. I attached a pic, but of course it's rotated after my upload. This is the ONLY forum I've used that does this, and for being a continual problem, is ridiculous.

I'm thinking it's low, and not having enough pressure to engage the AC compressor clutch. I'm hoping there isn't a leak...

Haven't driven it a mile since bringing it home. I feel like I have to go over every inch of this "RV" in order to feel safe in it.

Also, I think there may be many of us who are not happy with having to use our emails & passwords. If this was a secure site, I'd be okay with it. But, it's not. Noltice the red triangle with the "Not secure" warning... I had to log in 3x while attempting to post this.

We bought a 2018 Vegas 25.5, sister model.
Our MH had no dash air either. The dealer took time to work through a number of issues one at a time, result is if Thor had quality control I would have not went through the pain.
Dealer took these steps.
1. Found a Ford dealer that would look at it 50 mile away. AC was not charged so Thor authorized them to charge but still would not turn on, Ford stopped there. Ford delivers to Thor without charge, Thor forgot this.
2. The dealer had to work with Thor service and received a hand sketch of wiring diagram to identify the wrong purple wire was connected.
3. Now the AC would cycle and then required a recharge to set correctly.

Thor said it was the delivering dealer's issue and taking no responsibility. Shame on Thor.

I went to Big Foot to have hydraulic lever system and was close to Thor so went for factory tour. If i would have went for tour first I would not have bought a Thor.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 AM   #31

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero85 View Post
We bought a 2018 Vegas 25.5, sister model.
Our MH had no dash air either. The dealer took time to work through a number of issues one at a time, result is if Thor had quality control I would have not went through the pain.
Dealer took these steps.
1. Found a Ford dealer that would look at it 50 mile away. AC was not charged so Thor authorized them to charge but still would not turn on, Ford stopped there. Ford delivers to Thor without charge, Thor forgot this.
2. The dealer had to work with Thor service and received a hand sketch of wiring diagram to identify the wrong purple wire was connected.
3. Now the AC would cycle and then required a recharge to set correctly.

Thor said it was the delivering dealer's issue and taking no responsibility. Shame on Thor.

I went to Big Foot to have hydraulic lever system and was close to Thor so went for factory tour. If i would have went for tour first I would not have bought a Thor.
Im not surprised. My dealer drove the RV in 100 degree weather to the RV show and they didnt notice no AC? The driver from Thor who put 2k miles on it didnt use it either?

PDI guy told me he went through the water system, until we witnessed him trying to lift the kitchen sink cover (which was glued to the sink). My wife and I laughed, and new he was full of BS about testing it.

Then, the same guy tells me its legal, and sanctioned by Thor, to drive with the rear bed extended on a 25.2 - on the highway... I was like

I could on and on about my dealership experience. For example, the salesman told my wife that the rear bed is down while the 25.2 is in motion with the slide closed. she reminded him that it was important, since my folks will be accompanying us... Well, that was a lie...

Don't even get me started with that polymer ripoff, which I said I didnt want, and then they said they already did, but there were for sale stickers all over it, so how did they polymer under those stickers etc...???

You're not the first to mention the famous purple wire mis-wire. Does ANYONE know where this mis-wire is located?

If any other Thor Pumpers want to bash me, don't... I'm not in the mood.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #32

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:

If you have other commitments that keep you from RVing, then don't RV.

If you have problems with your brand new Axis that covered by warranty and you can't fix it, then take it to a dealer.

If you don't think this site is secure, then don't log in.

It appears you are the type that always has something to complain about.

If you encounter an obstacle then spend your energy figuring out how to overcome it.

Who cares if it’s secure
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #33

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I don't know if you have dash AC controls, I lost the thread of the thread back at security. BUT I had AC issues at delivery. The problem ultimately was a loose wire connection to the fuse block that is located in the bin below the driver. I believe it's a white #10 that supplies power. It wasn't tightened at assembly. I'd check that and all all connections on that block.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #34

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
I don't know if you have dash AC controls, I lost the thread of the thread back at security. BUT I had AC issues at delivery. The problem ultimately was a loose wire connection to the fuse block that is located in the bin below the driver. I believe it's a white #10 that supplies power. It wasn't tightened at assembly. I'd check that and all all connections on that block.
10-4 Thanks. Will check.