Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Do try retracting it with the generator running. It worked for me. Awning went out perfectly and often just stopped when trying to retract. But would work with higher voltage. That seemed “wrong” to me so talked to the Solera folks and they didn’t seem surprised. They sent me a new motor without any issues and said that probably would take care of it. I never got around to replacing the motor because it worked fine if the coach was plugged in or the gen was running. I traded the coach with the spare motor in one of the cabinets.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #22

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Awnings take a lot of juice and they will stop if you don't have enough power to bring them back in so definitely have your generator running period or plugged into Shore power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Do try retracting it with the generator running. It worked for me. Awning went out perfectly and often just stopped when trying to retract. But would work with higher voltage. That seemed “wrong” to me so talked to the Solera folks and they didn’t seem surprised. They sent me a new motor without any issues and said that probably would take care of it. I never got around to replacing the motor because it worked fine if the coach was plugged in or the gen was running. I traded the coach with the spare motor in one of the cabinets.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I should add that the fellow at Solera explained to me that the gas cylinder on my awning was “trying” to extend which makes the awning extend readily but needed to be compressed when retracting and that is why it would go our well and get stuck going in. FWIW.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #24

Model: 22FE
State: North Carolina
THOR #9348
I had a camping trailer with the same type awning as I have not on my Thor Freedom Elite and it quite. On the awning where the motor is there is a little black plug abut about a half an inch long, pop it out and underneath is a bolt, can't remember what size but put a socket on it and turn, all mine was frozen and a few turns the awning worked with the switch If your motor goes out you and lower and close your awning this way but would recommend a drill with the socket on it.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #25

State: Alaska
THOR #12752
I did that but the motor completely shi# the bed. Getting ready to install the new motor.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:22 AM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #10397
It happened to me also. Luckily it was under warranty. Needed a new motor
Old 05-15-2020, 02:12 AM   #27

Model: chateau 29G
State: South Carolina
THOR #12638
My 2018 chateau awning quit a few weeks ago,after contacting Solera i got some generic answer about the motor being no good,but after following the voltage from the fuse box out i am reading 8.2 volts at the switch..and 0.03 at the motor when the switch is activated.Since no voltage is going to the motor i cannot say it is at fault.I want to replace the switch but all of them online show 4 wires in the back and mine has 6 wires..anyone know where i can find a replacement switch for the 29g ?? Thanks..