Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alaska
THOR #12752
2018 Freedom Elite Awning Stopped Working

Hello everyone - I just purchased a 2018 22fe from a private party. So far so good, but earlier tonight when I was putting the awning back in it suddenly just stopped working; no noise from the motor or anything. I checked the fuse box and no LED's were lit up. Checked the switch and seemed all wires were firmly connected. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! - Shane

Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

A few thoughts: When you checked the wires at the switch did you measure any voltage? (Do you have a voltmeter?). There may be an inline fuse behind the switch--something to look for.

If you have voltage at the switch, do you have voltage at the motor?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #3

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Congratulations and welcome.

A few thoughts: When you checked the wires at the switch did you measure any voltage? (Do you have a voltmeter?). There may be an inline fuse behind the switch--something to look for.

If you have voltage at the switch, do you have voltage at the motor?
Thank for the kind words and reply. I don't have one, but will borrow one and will report back. Have the motors been known to fail this quick? Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Pull the patio awning switch out from the panel. Usually the is a 5 amp fuse attached to the rear of the switch.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #5

THOR #12752
I pulled the switch again and didn't see any fuses behind. I also ran a test light on the wires and got no light. Shouldn't some of these wires have constant power?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wires.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	12280   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Switch.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	12281  

Old 08-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #6

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
New guy here. Been lurking for a while. I have a 2018 26HE. Had a problem with mine on the last trip. After a little research I learned that you can actually roll the awning up in the wrong direction. It will appear to be malfunctioning. The fabric attached to the RV should wrap from the top first. If it's opposite, you did the same thing that I did.

Not sure if this is the same issue. maybe it will help.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Ditto on the awning on my previous TT...I hit the switch in the wrong position once and it actually retracted on the extend switch..but OP said his quit while he was retracting it. Did it stop half way in?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #8

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
i have a 2016 22fe. that is a weak switch. i have replaced it twice. called thor and they sent me a new one. and yes you can roll up in reverse. also had to replace motor once..had an independent rv dealer do that. all schematics and part numbers are on LCI web site..also try extending the awning on battery and not shore power. i think 12v switch has a problem there as well...all in all was never a show stopper. there is a small hole in cover on motor side that you can use drill and 7/16 nut driver(i think) to retract in case it happens again...i carry a step stool for that.

patrick
Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #9

THOR #12744
Here is the video that explains what I was describing.

I also had this happen when retracting. It appears to just stop when rolling up. At the time I was all packed up and ready to head out. I would wait a few seconds and it would try and retract a little more. Motor is completely silent when it stops. No errors anywhere else. I actually managed to roll the entire thing up in the wrong direction...

pjciii, good reminder about the 7/16 nut driver or socket. I figured that if it ever happened I could hopefully find someone in the RV park with a ladder.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #10

THOR #12744
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Ditto on the awning on my previous TT...I hit the switch in the wrong position once and it actually retracted on the extend switch..but OP said his quit while he was retracting it. Did it stop half way in?
Yes it quit while retracting. I would scratch my head for a few minutes and try it again. It would move a little more and stop. There is too much tension when rolling up in the wrong direction. I eventually got it completely rolled up in the wrong direction. It took almost 30 minutes to get it completely rolled up...

I had made another post with a link to a youtube video that explains it, but I guess it has to be approved first. I'll try posting a pic. This is what it looks like when it is rolled up in the wrong direction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 4.07.36 PM.png
Views:	310
Size:	991.0 KB
ID:	12290  
Old 08-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Try retracting it with the generator running or the shore power connected. My Freedom Elite awning often wouldn’t retract unless the voltage was WELL above 12. But it worked great with the gen running.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #12

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Is this the only 12v item not working?
Yes there should be 12vdc constant on one pair of wires and perhaps jumpered to another terminal. The common terminals would feed the motor correct polarity for one direction when pushed and opposite polarity for reverse direction when pushed in the other direction. If the ignition is on it locks out the awning and slide and perhaps other stuff. Don't want them moving when the coach is cranked.
Check the fuses with a meter to see if there is power coming out of the fuse box.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #13

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Force_dude View Post
Hello everyone - I just purchased a 2018 22fe from a private party. So far so good, but earlier tonight when I was putting the awning back in it suddenly just stopped working; no noise from the motor or anything. I checked the fuse box and no LED's were lit up. Checked the switch and seemed all wires were firmly connected. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! - Shane

I have a 2014 Freedom Elite 23U with similar retraction problems. The awning extends fine but take 4 or 5 steps to retract. The complete awning was replaced in June 2018. I have spent a good deal of time trying to find a new switch. My awning replacement did not include a new switch or wiring. I am not sure whether the issue is poor contacts in the awning switch or dead spots in the motor winding. The issue has been there right since replacement. I thought the RV dealer had not tested the unit after the replacement and it was returned from the pickup lot. Got it home and the same issues have raised their head about every second time the awning is retracted.

Rocky
Old 08-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #14

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
New guy here. Been lurking for a while. I have a 2018 26HE. Had a problem with mine on the last trip. After a little research I learned that you can actually roll the awning up in the wrong direction. It will appear to be malfunctioning. The fabric attached to the RV should wrap from the top first. If it's opposite, you did the same thing that I did.

Not sure if this is the same issue. maybe it will help.
CORRECTION...I was pulling it back in and I believe I did it in the opposite direction as well! Doh! What did you do to correct this? Thank you for the info as I believe this may be the issue.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:41 AM   #15

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Correction I was actually pulling it back in the opposite direction. Grrr
Old 08-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #16

THOR #12744
Quote:
CORRECTION...I was pulling it back in and I believe I did it in the opposite direction as well! Doh! What did you do to correct this? Thank you for the info as I believe this may be the issue.
That picture that I posted is from today! It has been like that for four weeks. I'm parked in a spot where I can't extend it right now. I have verified that it will roll out. All that needs to be done is to extend it all the way out, and then retract it the correct way. I've got a trip planned next weekend. Glad I could help.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:40 AM   #17

THOR #12752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
That picture that I posted is from today! It has been like that for four weeks. I'm parked in a spot where I can't extend it right now. I have verified that it will roll out. All that needs to be done is to extend it all the way out, and then retract it the correct way. I've got a trip planned next weekend. Glad I could help.
So do you hear the motor still activating? Mine completely stopped. That’s my current dilemma. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:52 AM   #18

THOR #12744
Quote:
So do you hear the motor still activating? Mine completely stopped. That’s my current dilemma. Thanks.
Yes. At least the last time I tried it the motor was working. You could try to manually extend it all the out to correct the rotation. There is a removable cover on one end. Inside is a place to attach a 7/16 socket. That is the manual adjustment. Maybe extend it all the way out and see if it will retract with the motor once it's turning the right way.

The day that it happened to me I thought it was tension in the fabric that was stopping it from moving. I didn't know it was rolling up the wrong way. Had the wife press the switch wihile I stood on top of a picnic table helping it. I'm sure I looked like an idiot.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #19

THOR #12752
So after more troubleshooting the motor on the awning stops because the gears are slipping. Ordered a new one on eBay for $108 incl shipping. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	511D3837-00E9-436F-B99F-3254868C9209.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	12309  
Old 08-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #20

State: Florida
THOR #8828
Quote:
I have a 2017 Chateau with the Solera awning. Mine did the same thing on the third use. Stopped 3/4 of the way in. It was the motor. The dealer replaced it and told me they have had to replace a few motors on the Solera awnings. I’ve had no trouble since but I now know to carry my power screwdriver and sockets to manually retract it. (Don’t carry a ladder-I stand on the picnic table to reach it )
I hope that helps.