Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
2018 AXIS engine AC not working. Not surprising...

Hello all, again...

I was about to have the dealer deliver my various parts (PDI issues), but today discovered yet ANOTHER lack of PDI attention, i.e. the engine AC doesnt work (does not cycle on). You'd think they'd have discovered this during their drive to the RV show in 100 degree weather...

Does anyone happen to know what the Axis engine AC refrigerant capacity is? Non-cycling low-side pressure is approx. 55 @ 70 degrees. I attached a pic, but of course it's rotated after my upload. This is the ONLY forum I've used that does this, and for being a continual problem, is ridiculous.

I'm thinking it's low, and not having enough pressure to engage the AC compressor clutch. I'm hoping there isn't a leak...

Haven't driven it a mile since bringing it home. I feel like I have to go over every inch of this "RV" in order to feel safe in it.

Also, I think there may be many of us who are not happy with having to use our emails & passwords. If this was a secure site, I'd be okay with it. But, it's not. Noltice the red triangle with the "Not secure" warning... I had to log in 3x while attempting to post this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181218_150418.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	14661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Not secure.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	14662  

Old 12-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Did you check the Ford manual that came with the coach? (I know when it comes to chassis A/C issues Ford and Thor usually point the finger at each other but I'm pretty sure it is mostly Ford parts).

As far as the non-secure site: The easiest thing to do to make it secure, more or less, is to use a unique password for it and not a copy of any of your other passwords. Then it doesn't matter...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:20 AM   #3

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Did you check the Ford manual that came with the coach? (I know when it comes to chassis A/C issues Ford and Thor usually point the finger at each other but I'm pretty sure it is mostly Ford parts).

As far as the non-secure site: The easiest thing to do to make it secure, more or less, is to use a unique password for it and not a copy of any of your other passwords. Then it doesn't matter...
Jamie,

Will check the book on pressures. I may pull/maintain a vacuum to verify any leak situation before I take it back to the dealer. Sure, adding a can or two of refrigerant may get it started, but I want to know it was diagnosed properly.

As far as this site is concerned, I have 2 issues...

1. The site, itself, is not secure per my browser (see pic). My password has nothing to do with it...

2. GOOD THING I used a different password for this site other than my normal gmail password when I signed up as NewAxisOwner. If i didn't, this non-secure site would ascertain my gmail email addy and associated gmail password, which is now prerequisite to getting back online. Sneaky, IMO...

Call me paranoid, but you can also call me a retired computer crimes police detective...
Old 12-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #4

THOR #13661
Info on site security -

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...indicator&rd=1

Google suggestion for this forum website -

"We suggest you don't enter any private or personal information on this page. If possible, don't use the site.

Not secure: Proceed with caution. Something is severely wrong with the privacy of this site’s connection. Someone might be able to see the information you send or get through this site".
Old 12-19-2018, 01:49 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Oh yeah I know, the site uses no security at all. Just http, not https.

In general all sites are recommended to use https for everything. http traffic is not encrypted and transmitted out in the open (a network monitor such as wireshark (free) can be used to see everything).

On here, however, I don't really have anything that is that critical other than an e-mail address and a name.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 AM   #6

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
On here, however, I don't really have anything that is that critical other than an e-mail address and a name.
Ditto. But, Admin SHOULD have given folks more time to change things around. Not everyone has time to visit this site daily/weekly/monthly etc...

Talk about liability....
Old 12-19-2018, 03:09 AM   #7

THOR #13661
Here's my thinking...

The attached chart shows High Pressure @ 70 degrees to be approx. 150 psi, and since the AC compressor is not working, the system should be equalized @ approx. 75 psi (not the 53 as shown on my gauge). So, Im thinking it's low and needs refrigerant. Looks like a vacuum pull to verify any leaks in the system is in order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Temp-pressure-chart-33776F1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	14663  
Old 12-19-2018, 03:24 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The login page is secure and is the only one that transmits your email address and the password you use for this site, which if it is the same as your email password then you have a problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #9

THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
The login page is secure and is the only one that transmits your email address and the password you use for this site, which if it is the same as your email password then you have a problem.
I don't, but I'm sure others will... I use a different password for every account I have. Others use just one.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #10

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
I hope this helps but I know of one where it had just simply come unplugged where Thor switches over from Ford to their wiring again just trying to help
Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #11

THOR #13661
Widedpread Axis Cab AC Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
I hope this helps but I know of one where it had just simply come unplugged where Thor switches over from Ford to their wiring again just trying to help
Where does it switch over?

I read on this attached thread that it can be either a THOR snafu from mis-wired "purple" wires, or a defective cycling switch etc... In any case, this CAB AC issue seems to be widespread. Hence, it's obvious a THOR cause, since so many AXIS' have been having the same issue.

I have to admit it, guys, I DEEPLY REGRET BUYING THIS PIECE OF CRAP! I should have purchased a quality 5th wheel and use my 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins. At least I'd know I'd make it back in one piece...

Aside from the previously documented issues on my brand new Axis, I'm thinking the house batteries are toast. Took 24 hours to charge both 12v batteries, after having been parked for a few days in my RV drivewaywith the store switch off. i had run the generator for an hour last week, so they should have been pretty well charged. If I dont start the generator weekly, its a PITA to start. The same generator in my toyhauler starts right up after 2 months without any issue.

So, back to the AC, I guess I'll have to check the AC clutch fuse first. Anyone know its location? I know, I'll look online, but to be honest, I am getting tired of running into one Thor mistake after another... I'd sell it in a heartbeat if i could.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...axis-3681.html
Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Did you hear a loud noise on the way home from dealer? Maybe something flew into the engine compartment and cut a hose? I'm certain you checked it out before you wrote the check....right? Surely you didn't buy it at an RV show without driving it...right?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #13

THOR #13661
Kinda hard to drive a RV at a RV show, that's blocked in by 100 others for the weekend. Nothing flew into the radiator, as it does have some pressurized refrigerant in the system.

Plus, it would never happen to mine anyway. Installing rock screen was a top priority (2-piece, so adding windshield washer fluid takes a few seconds).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181120_114001.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	14677   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181120_114022.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	14678  

Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #14

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAxisOwner View Post

I read on this attached thread that it can be either a THOR snafu from mis-wired "purple" wires, or a defective cycling switch etc... In any case, this CAB AC issue seems to be widespread. Hence, it's obvious a THOR cause, since so many AXIS' have been having the same issue.

I have to admit it, guys, I DEEPLY REGRET BUYING THIS PIECE OF CRAP! I should have purchased a quality 5th wheel and use my 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins. At least I'd know I'd make it back in one piece...

Aside from the previously documented issues on my brand new Axis, I'm thinking the house batteries are toast. Took 24 hours to charge both 12v batteries, after having been parked for a few days in my RV drivewaywith the store switch off. i had run the generator for an hour last week, so they should have been pretty well charged. If I dont start the generator weekly, its a PITA to start. The same generator in my toyhauler starts right up after 2 months without any issue.

So, back to the AC, I guess I'll have to check the AC clutch fuse first. Anyone know its location? I know, I'll look online, but to be honest, I am getting tired of running into one Thor mistake after another... I'd sell it in a heartbeat if i could.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your axis we had more than a few problems when we first got it but after we got those fixed we truly love it it's my understanding they all give problems especially Jayco and Forest River that's why I'm with Thor
Old 12-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2018 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #13980
About 20 miles down the road, after buying my "as is, where is" 2018 the AC started making a LOUD buzz. Firs thought it was the compressor, but after getting home & listening, I think it’s the engine fan. It comes on when I press the button with the snowflake icon and stops when I turn off the button.. oddly enough it seems that the AC continues working. It was in the 50' today so it’s hard to tell.
How do you get to anything, pull the dash apart?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #16

THOR #13661
Quote:
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your axis we had more than a few problems when we first got it but after we got those fixed we truly love it it's my understanding they all give problems especially Jayco and Forest River that's why I'm with Thor
My 2006 Forest River Sierra Toyhauler is a BEAST! 106 gallon fresh water tank, gas dispenser etc and I can load 5k lbs in it. For a 21 footer that fits in every campsite, it's hard to let go.

The quality is far better than that of the Axis. I offered to trade it in, but the dealer insulted me with a trade-in price of only $3000.00

See for yourself, as I have it for sale on CL. Honestly, I hope it doesn't sell, so I can keep it. Wife doesnt really want 2 RV's, but I tell her we have a tried and true cross country trek trailer that I'd take to Alaska over and over. The Axis, well, not too much confidence over here... I'll never let my wife take me to an RV show ever again...

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...740807960.html
Old 12-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #17

THOR #3992
Quote:
My 2006 Forest River Sierra Toyhauler is a BEAST! 106 gallon fresh water tank, gas dispenser etc and I can load 5k lbs in it. For a 21 footer that fits in every campsite, it's hard to let go.

The quality is far better than that of the Axis. I offered to trade it in, but the dealer insulted me with a trade-in price of only $3000.00

See for yourself, as I have it for sale on CL. Honestly, I hope it doesn't sell, so I can keep it. Wife doesnt really want 2 RV's, but I tell her we have a tried and true cross country trek trailer that I'd take to Alaska over and over. The Axis, well, not too much confidence over here... I'll never let my wife take me to an RV show ever again...

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...740807960.html
My father-in-law had a Jayco and it was pretty good I did too but I heard the new ones coming off the assembly line or not like the old ones Jayco used to have a real good reputation according dealer he said he has Jayco sitting on the lot waiting for warranty repairs that Jayco are real slow to approve the Forest River I looked at look like a cheap mobile home like it was a F3 not sure was again back in 2016 when I got mine I hope you get it sold fast Life's too short to be unhappy
Old 12-27-2018, 04:02 AM   #18

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
a/c

When you try to run the a/c does the compressor clutch engage?
I'm not sure of fords but almost all a/c clutch fuses are 10amp and would be in the fuse box with all of the oem ford fuses.
If you can find someone with a good quality scan tool (I have the snap on)
but I can bypass all switches and sensors and engage the compressor to rule out a bad compressor clutch, wiring, fuses and the only thing left would be either low on Freon or either the low or high pressure sensor which can be read with the scan tool, get your vin number and call any ford service dept and ask how much Freon the system is supposed to have in it.
So the only problem left is how much is in the system, if you know anyone with a a/c recycling machine most shops dealers and small shops would have them ask the to pull out all the Freon see how much you get, I would put some a/c dye in the system first and recharge it and run it for awhile then look for the dye.
Quote:

Old 12-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #19

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I agree I have a Thor Tuscany 40 with a cummins we bought used last march and it only had 28k miles on it, I went over this thing from front to back didn't find anything wrong other than a few floor lights out and we drove it from ohio to grand junction Colorado and back with no issue's but had I been a member here before I bought it I probably would not have bought it based on what I have seen on Thors quality so either I got lucky or the previous owner got the bugs out.
Quote:
Old 12-27-2018, 05:19 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Thor Industries has 17+ factories. Each factory operates independently. To criticize Thor Industries without a representative sample of their work is unfair. Many of us with Plant 750 coaches have never been back to a dealer for any coach repairs or warranty work. Unfortunately, I have been involved in two wrecks with my coach. Thor supplied my RV repair place (Iron Horse RV) with the required body parts and pieces in less than two weeks; including a repaint in January, I was back on the road in three weeks.

Thor plant 750 does not turn out perfect coaches, but any dealer worth his/her salt will use the Thor supplied PDI checklist to correct the few defects that factory eluded the factory inspectors. I spent a year researching Thor dealers before I chose one 615 miles from home. In three years and 27,000 miles, I have not regretted that decision to make the six day trip to drive and live in my coach for two days before leaving the dealer's delivery area and returning home.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote