Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 01:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Challenger house batteries not charging while driving

The house batteries on my 2015 Challenger are not charging while driving. They do charge on shore or gen power and both batteries tested good. Does anyone know where the BIRD is on the Challenger 37TB? And are there any breaker/fuses I should be checking?

2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:33 AM   #2

State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Tom and Lisa - wow. Had a very similar problem (I really believe it is the exact problem) with our 2015 Challenger 37TB last month. If you are charging with Shore and Generator power but not with the automotive alternator - it is probably the Trombetta relay/solenoid. Check out the info at the post below. I put up pics, wiring diagrams and lots of other folks contributed (to include Thor Warranty Service). In a few words, the Trombetta relay/solenoid - working with the BIRD - closes after about 30 seconds allowing engine alternator current to pass through and charge the house batteries. If the Trombetta relay/solenoid doesn't close, no current through to the batteries. The Trombetta (see the pics to see what it looks like) is located at the back of the house battery compartment on the mounted with 2 screws. The BIRD (again see the pics) is about 6" to the right and on the back side of the same metal frame work.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...sue-10928.html

I am also including a link to an Ebay seller for a Trombetta relay. I tried to buy one off Amazon and I wound up at Ebay (Amazon kept sending a intermittent vs continuous relay). I don't like buying at Ebay but this seller was fast and less expensive than anywhere else.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TROMBET...53.m2749.l2649

Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

THOR #4486
Thanks bigben. The wiring diagram will be a big help and I will be ordering the Trombetta. Even if it turns out to be a different fix, at least I have one on standby. My first course of action is to clean all the terminals and connections. I've seen documentation that recommends this step as a bad ground can lead to the same symptoms.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 03-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

THOR #1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Thanks bigben. The wiring diagram will be a big help and I will be ordering the Trombetta. Even if it turns out to be a different fix, at least I have one on standby. My first course of action is to clean all the terminals and connections. I've seen documentation that recommends this step as a bad ground can lead to the same symptoms.
I would do a simple check at the trombetta. On the trombetta, take the lead off that goes to your house batteries. Then I would check for voltage, with the motor running, on the same side that you just took the battery cable off. If you have 13.6 Volt or most anything over 13 volts, your trombetta is working. If you have no voltage the trombetta is not closing. Most likely this caused by the trombetta not the BIRD.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #5

THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I would do a simple check at the trombetta. On the trombetta, take the lead off that goes to your house batteries. Then I would check for voltage, with the motor running, on the same side that you just took the battery cable off. If you have 13.6 Volt or most anything over 13 volts, your trombetta is working. If you have no voltage the trombetta is not closing. Most likely this caused by the trombetta not the BIRD.
I will give that a try. With just testing the house batteries with the engine running, how many volts should I be reading on a meter?
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 03-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #6

THOR #1020
Check the voltage at the automotive battery, generally it is somewhere around 14 volts. If you want to check the function of the Trombetta solenoid, disconnect the house battery side - as your looking in at the battery compartment - it is the large terminal on the right. Without disconnecting the battery cable, you will get a reading from the house batteries, even if the solenoid is open. Voltage going through the converter/charger (generally a WFCO 55) will be at 14.2, 13.6 or 13.2 depending on the state of battery charge.

You can read the other post to get specific clarifications but I'll hazard a guess - it is your Trombetta.

Note: I am kinda cautious around electricity - so I take the terminal off with the battery disconnect turned off, the inverter turned off and the engine off. Then I put a bit of tape around the terminal to make sure I cannot arc the power out to the a body ground.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #7

THOR #4486
bigben - You were right on the money. Once I replaced the Trombetta solenoid the house batteries started charging from the alternator once I heard the new Trombetta make a "click" sound which took about 30 seconds then the inverter display went to 14.X volts. My goal is to buy another Trombetta to have as a onboard spare. Thanks for all you help.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 03-29-2018, 01:59 AM   #8

THOR #1020
Super - glad it worked out. Ain't this site the bomb!!