Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2017, 12:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Florida
THOR #6194
Bath door magnets pulled strike plate out - Synergy

In our 2017 Synergy (owned less than a week), the magnets which keep the bath doors closed are too strong. They have ripped out the L-shaped strike plate which is in the ceiling, despite 4 screws.

Has anyone else with a Synergy or Siesta had a similar problem?

If so, any solution for a way to re-secure the plate to the ceiling? Basically the 4 screws have been ripped out, so just putting them back in would be futile.

I have found a way to weaken the magnet, by using multiple layers of electrical tape.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppypaws View Post
In our 2017 Synergy (owned less than a week), the magnets which keep the bath doors closed are too strong. They have ripped out the L-shaped strike plate which is in the ceiling, despite 4 screws.

If so, any solution for a way to re-secure the plate to the ceiling? Basically the 4 screws have been ripped out, so just putting them back in would be futile.

I have found a way to weaken the magnet, by using multiple layers of electrical tape.
Just checked my Siesta (24ST) that plate is very secure, seems to be mounted into framing more substantial than just the ceiling plywood.... Your dealer should handle the repair (warranty) and reinforce the mounting if necessary.
Concern would be that the magnets are not the cause, some force may have been applied to the closed doors prior to delivery.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I'd tend to agree that some 'outside force' helped pull that bracket down the first time... Even rare earth magnets would have a hard time pulling out a bracket with 4 screws... and I'm sure Thor didn't spring for those...

Once loose - no doubt the magnets will pull it out.

A week old unit should be fixed by the dealer as Holligan2 said.
If you prefer not to wait or do it yourself - larger or longer screws... or replacing some wood.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We have those magnets in our Gemini, both on the closed side and the open side. I'm not particularly fond of those magnets, but I guess they do serve a purpose that would difficult to replicate differently.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
My usual solution to screw holes that have lost their holding power is to fill them and start anew. Usually I use a product called Plastic Wood. Basically a fiber material in an adhesive base that dries to a consistency near wood, can be sanded and drilled. If in a hurry, I have put the screws back into the wet material. More usually I let it harden, drill a pilot hole, then reinstall the screws.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #6

THOR #2812
If into a solid wood I've had very good results filling and then drilling with JB Weld wood epoxy. KwikWood Epoxy Putty - 1oz | J-B Weld
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Old 01-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #7

THOR #6194
Thanks!

Thanks for all the good ideas.
We are generally pleased with the Synergy. Since we will have to take her in to get a drawer fixed, we will probably let the dealer do the repair for now. Hoping that the dealer will give Thor some feedback so they can tweak things like the magnet strength.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #8

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Quote:

Puppypaws,
Ours is a 2016 Synergy TT24 that has the two-door setup for the bathroom with the ceiling brackets for the door magnets. We had the same problem and the dealership fixed both brackets by drilling new holes and using more/larger screws and made sure they fastened into the roof trusses. You should still be under warranty so add that to the list until you can get back to your dealer/service shop. How is everything with your Class C Sprinter?
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:00 AM   #9

THOR #6194
Thanks KC

Thanks for the info about how your TT24 was repaired by the dealer. Good to know there is a fix.

Yes, I will definitely take our Synergy back to the dealer when we get back to Tampa.

We are generally pleased with Synergy. Easy to drive. Just getting to know the vehicle. The slider worked well. The heater worked well. The microwave/convection worked well.... made both pizza and popcorn in it with great results.

Its a bit small and we are figuring out how to keep our corgi safe and happy as we travel. Just purchased a mesh safety containment pen to put on the loveseat. (Oh...why are the seatbelts so super short?)

Still need to try the shower.
Our current problems:
The strike plate for bathroom magnets.
The drawer under microwave does not close.
The airbag emblem is illuminated on the dash.

Would love to hear your impressions too. We are novices also.
I also started a FB page for Synergy/Siesta RVs .... feel free to join. I have it so it is private, so just request to join.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/400714753604510/
Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #10

THOR #3433
Puppypaws/Jackie,

We had a 40 ft. 5th wheel before we "downsized" to the Sprinter and it was, and still is, an adjustment. I have no regrets about the Synergy but I wish I had never bought the 5th wheel and Ford F350. That was an expensive lesson!

I have a great dealer that is conscientious about service and the have gone to bat for me with Thor on a couple of occasions. Like anything there are good and bad and the following are merely my observations:

Pros (my opinion only)
Very easy to drive. Now the DW (Dear Wife) says she will help drive!
Very fuel efficient compared to my previous setup
Super easy to refuel
Nimble and maneuverable
Wife and I like the rear twin bed setup with Denver mattresses
More storage space than we will ever need
We really like the cabinets compared to others we saw
Theater seating instead of the sleeper sofa
Decent factory customer service (a.k.a. Customer Care) after the sale.
Extended valve stems on the dual rear wheels
Manual sky light instead of a motor-operated unit
Propane generator and propane tank that is easy to access
Thor didn't get fancy with a bunch of bells-and-whistles that might become problems later
Held up well on our cross-country trip with three cats!
Decent refrigerator that works well
Some folks swear by aftermarket levelers and sway bars but I haven't needed them yet.

Cons (my experiences only)
Very, very poor factory QC. My laundry list is finally getting fixed after 12 months
Small shower, and I am only 5'-10" and 175#
Convection microwave is below the counter top making it hard to operate
No exhaust vent over the cooktop. I have to remove smoke alarm battery when cooking
Small gray tank capacity
Poor A/C air flow in the front cab area. Dealer "fix" wasn't the best but it "will do"
Bathroom door problem already discussed but finally remedied
Need a bit more under sink storage under the Bath sink.
No option for solar but that's a minor thing that will get remedied by me
Wish Mercedes-Benz or Thor would offer an option for better front seats
I would like to see a NOAA Weatherband feature added to the coach radio
More time to use our "Ming" before we get too old and feeble to travel like this

I am still adding and slightly modifying as I go along. So far I added Weathertech vent shades, a Scangauge OBDII unit to monitor the engine, added a dash camera, a Blue Ox tow system for our 2014 Honda CR-V, and am awaiting delivery of a tire pressure monitoring system. I would like to add grab handles at both front doors, add a portable solar setup, and upgrade the coach batteries but like most things it is one step at a time. We probably won't need the Blue Ox and the CR-V that often but there have been a number of times we could have used it when driving to Concord, NC from Beckley, WV to have Ming worked on.

At any rate I hope you get to enjoy your new motorhome. I appreciate the Facebook offer but neither my wife or I participate in that much social media. Computer and technology overload during the regular work day I suppose.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #11

THOR #6194
Great info

Thanks KC for all the info on your impressions and modifications.
Wow. 3 cats! I'm impressed with your cat devotion. Where did you put the litter box?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:05 AM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8RXQ View Post
Puppypaws/Jackie,

I am still adding and slightly modifying as I go along. So far I added Weathertech vent shades, a Scangauge OBDII unit to monitor the engine, .
We too downsized from a 41 foot diesel pusher, to the current Gemini, which is as you said quite an adjustment. Since we too are on the Sprinter chassis, I'm interested in which Scangauge OBDII you added and what telemetry you get from it. Coming from that DP, I would like not only engine temp, but oil pressure, transmission temperature, turbo boost, but so far haven't found one that does much more than coolant temp. Any info you have would be helpful. Where and how did you mount the scan gauge.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:59 AM   #13

THOR #2812
Jackie- Airbag Light- There is a wire under the front seats that connects to the airbag system. That wire was not connected after driver seat was removed by the dealer for a repair. I had an airbag/SRS light until the wire was connected. It does not have much slack and may disconnect when the seat is rotated. Hope it's that easy..
I am a member of your FB page..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #14

THOR #3433
Litter box

Quote:
Thanks KC for all the info on your impressions and modifications.
Wow. 3 cats! I'm impressed with your cat devotion. Where did you put the litter box?
We have two spots for the litter box.

1. Lay a piece of plywood over the step well for litter activities and scoop often!

2. Set the litter box between the twin beds, scoop often and watch your step when you get up during the night.

Litter cleanup is a must and I found a 3-piece broom at Wal-Mart that I am going to try since the floor is vinyl. Camping World advertises a telescoping broom but it didn't look very sturdy.

Yes, you could say a few other things about cat devotion too😷. They are entertaining and they are "family", and we prefer to try to take them along rather than leave them behind. Mickey is somewhat leash-trained and gets to venture outside. The other two just find places to curl up and sleep.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #15

THOR #3433
Scanguage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
We too downsized from a 41 foot diesel pusher, to the current Gemini, which is as you said quite an adjustment. Since we too are on the Sprinter chassis, I'm interested in which Scangauge OBDII you added and what telemetry you get from it. Coming from that DP, I would like not only engine temp, but oil pressure, transmission temperature, turbo boost, but so far haven't found one that does much more than coolant temp. Any info you have would be helpful. Where and how did you mount the scan gauge.
I bought the Scangauge "SGIIFFP" from Amazon and mounted it beside the driver's side A-pillar - beside the left drink holder. That made it easy to route the cable to the vehicle OBDII port. I also bought a cable extender with a 90 degree connector for the OBDII interface because the Scangauge cable interferes with the port drop down door.

I don't get fancy with monitoring, just battery voltage, engine coolant temperature, %LOD engine load, and the transmission temperature. There are a lot of other parameters but those are all I want to monitor on the road for now. You can search this forum for additional info on Scangauge but I found a whole lot more (especially the specific code for transmission temperature) on the Skinnie-Winnies Yahoo Group. Those folks are very active and share a lot of info/experience that have helped me with my Sprinter. Oh, and the transmission temperature is not an actual sensor readout from the transmission but is apparently based off of other parameters or signals but it is helpful information if you tow or encounter conditions that cause additional loading to the engine and transmission.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #12721
Similar problem - door pull handles coming loose

The magnets really are too strong. There are recessed handles held in place with 4 screws in my unit that is pulling loose from the force needed to break the magnetic latch. Does anybody know how the magnets on the doors are attached to the door so I could swap them out for a weaker one ?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #17

THOR #3433
Bathroom door magnets

Rich S,

Before you try to remove the magnets apply a layer or two of plastic (electrical) tape to the magnet face and to the steel angles and see if that helps to reduce the force of the magnet.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #18

THOR #15749
Our seat belts were too short also, contacted Thor , they sent us the correct size, easy to replace. They come in 3 sizes, ours were incorrect.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Hi Ed
I have the Siesta(2018 model) 24ss and love the mh. I just modified the windows to open further(discussed on this forum), added the equalizer hydraulic leveler system and sumo springs front and rear. The leveler system was installed at a local rv shop. I installed the sumo springs (they replace the factory bump stops from Mercedes) and it was an easy job. My coach came with the summit package that included the 100w solar package as well as the mobileye lane assist. I have the diesel generator. My cell is 714 604 7868 and if you would like I can text you some photos of my cheap handling fixes and upgrades. I did have a problem with two tire rims leaking air from bad factory welds. I had to replace both rims. I just added a spring loaded shower curtain and drapes to separate the cab area from the rear in order to keep the cab area cooler while driving. No need to cool the rear while driving unless you have passengers.

Welcome again
Paul
Retired LEO
Old 08-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
My usual solution to screw holes that have lost their holding power is to fill them and start anew. Usually I use a product called Plastic Wood. Basically a fiber material in an adhesive base that dries to a consistency near wood, can be sanded and drilled. If in a hurry, I have put the screws back into the wet material. More usually I let it harden, drill a pilot hole, then reinstall the screws.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
I'd substitute a really strong epoxy; but use the same process...
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote