Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 24
THOR #14018
2018 Vegas Store/Use Switch

I know this subject has been discussed numerous times but I am just going to summarize how my Vegas electrical system operates as delivered (whether right or wrong).

Store switch ON no shore power. All systems good using coach batteries for power (red light use/store switch illuminated). Batteries at charged state measure 12-12.5 Volts.

Store switch OFF, plug in shore power, Power in coach (red light at use/store switch illuminated. Coach batteries measure same as before 12-12.5 volts)**

**Even though red light at use/store switch is illuminated, coach batteries don't indicate they are receiving any charge/assist from shore power. BUT, if I flip use/store switch (audible relay latch heard), coach batteries immediately show increase in voltage (approx 13 volts) indicating shore power is now charging/maintaining coach batteries.

Store switch ON, plug in shore power, Power in coach (red light illuminated), coach batteries show charging state (approx 13 volts).

Make a long story short, depending on position of use/store switch when shore power is plugged in determines if coach batteries are automatically "latched" through relay for charging state. No problem really except there is no stand alone light or voltage indicator to show if relay is "latched" or not.

I will solve my concern shortly as I am installing a small digital voltmeter (connected directly to coach batteries) so I can determine whether coach batteries are receiving a charge (relay latched). If I am missing something here, let me know.
Tdp
__________________

__________________
tdpinokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,344
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
I know this subject has been discussed numerous times but I am just going to summarize how my Vegas electrical system operates as delivered (whether right or wrong).

Store switch ON no shore power. All systems good using coach batteries for power (red light use/store switch illuminated). Batteries at charged state measure 12-12.5 Volts.

Store switch OFF, plug in shore power, Power in coach (red light at use/store switch illuminated. Coach batteries measure same as before 12-12.5 volts)**

**Even though red light at use/store switch is illuminated, coach batteries don't indicate they are receiving any charge/assist from shore power. BUT, if I flip use/store switch (audible relay latch heard), coach batteries immediately show increase in voltage (approx 13 volts) indicating shore power is now charging/maintaining coach batteries.

Store switch ON, plug in shore power, Power in coach (red light illuminated), coach batteries show charging state (approx 13 volts).

Make a long story short, depending on position of use/store switch when shore power is plugged in determines if coach batteries are automatically "latched" through relay for charging state. No problem really except there is no stand alone light or voltage indicator to show if relay is "latched" or not.

I will solve my concern shortly as I am installing a small digital voltmeter (connected directly to coach batteries) so I can determine whether coach batteries are receiving a charge (relay latched). If I am missing something here, let me know.
Tdp
Use/store should always be on when plugged into shore power or when gen is on. The only time to turn it to store is when its being stored.

Jerry
__________________

__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:20 AM   #3
Member
 
BYoshida's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
Posts: 79
THOR #13067
You've got it right. That light is totally confusing. It means you are getting power from somewhere. It doesn't mean you are connected to your batteries.
__________________
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 3,134
THOR #7035
You've got it right except if you are going to call it a STORE switch then to me when a STORE switch is ON, it is in the STORE position. From your descrition, when you say the STORE switch is ON you are saying it is the USE position.
__________________
The USER Formally Known As TFryman
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
Member
 
BYoshida's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
Posts: 79
THOR #13067
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You've got it right except if you are going to call it a STORE switch then to me when a STORE switch is ON, it is in the STORE position. From your descrition, when you say the STORE switch is ON you are saying it is the USE position.
That's better than when we used to call it a Disconnect switch and you had to turn it on to be connected. That was totally confusing terminology.
__________________
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 24
THOR #14018
Thanks!! You got my point perfectly.
Tdp
__________________
tdpinokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mark4Jesus's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
Posts: 205
THOR #12170
My coach batteries died when I was plugged into shore power because I pushed the Use/store switch twice, disconnecting it. Without checking the voltage at the batteries there is no way to tell if you are in use or store when connected to shore power.
__________________
2018 Axis 25.4
mark4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 1,542
THOR #6411
For those of us with an inverter panel, it is easy to see if the batteries are being charged - 12.8 volts or less on inverter panel = batteries not being charged ; 13.1 to 14.2 volts = batteries being charged.



I also added a volt meter mirror heat switch wiring to monitor the alternator output voltage. If the house batteries are down you can see the BIRD close. The voltage will drop from about 14.1 volts to 13.8 volts
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 3,134
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
My coach batteries died when I was plugged into shore power because I pushed the Use/store switch twice, disconnecting it. Without checking the voltage at the batteries there is no way to tell if you are in use or store when connected to shore power.
One reason why I have a USB outlet/voltmeter right next to my bank of switches. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/USMEI-Waterpr...omotive&sr=1-4
__________________
The USER Formally Known As TFryman
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
mark4Jesus's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
Posts: 205
THOR #12170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
One reason why I have a USB outlet/voltmeter right next to my bank of switches. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/USMEI-Waterpr...omotive&sr=1-4
Great idea, thanks!
__________________

__________________
2018 Axis 25.4
mark4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×