Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
??29h Outlaw-Running fridge on propane ??

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. When I turn off generator & try to run fridge on propane the yellow light keeps flashing. I’m at a fair grounds right now & generators have to turn off @ 10pm. There’s no electric either. I would appreciate any comments at all. Thanks.
P.S. can you guess this is my shakedown trip?

Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Fridge must be set to "auto" or "l.p." on the control panel & make sure gas valve is open & gas is going to the fridge, may need to light a couple burners on the stove to insure gas flow.
The best thing is to set the fridge control panel to "auto" & leave it there, that will automatically switch to gas whenever shore power or generator is disconnected & keeps fridge cold while traveling.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 AM   #3

THOR #8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Fridge must be set to "auto" or "l.p." on the control panel & make sure gas valve is open & gas is going to the fridge, may need to light a couple burners on the stove to insure gas flow.
The best thing is to set the fridge control panel to "auto" & leave it there, that will automatically switch to gas whenever shore power or generator is disconnected & keeps fridge cold while traveling.

Thank you for getting back to me. I’ll try turning on the burners on the cooktop. BTW- I did have fridge set to auto but when I turned generator off the yellow propane light started flashing. I don’t have any shore power where I’m camping. I don’t want to use the inverter to power the fridge because i don’t want to drain my batteries.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #4

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
I'm pretty certain that you must still have 12 volt power to the refrigerator to power it with propane. It will just require less 12 volt power operating with propane than if operating strictly 12 volt.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladinwj View Post
I'm pretty certain that you must still have 12 volt power to the refrigerator to power it with propane. It will just require less 12 volt power operating with propane than if operating strictly 12 volt.
Correct the frig circuit board needs 1.5 amps @ 12 volts to operate. Doesn't matter if it is using propane or 120 volts to supply the heat for the absorption cycle to work. Many times if the frig hasn't been run on propane for a week or more, it will necessary to recycle the switch from Off to AUTO several times over a few minutes. This is necessary to purge the propane line. Note: the instructions state the frig operation on propane is unreliable when the frig is above 5,000 ft elevation. So, the store/use switch must be in the use position, the propane valve must be open and the propane line should be purged (light a stove burner - if it the propane shutoff has been off for a while)
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Question: If you only plug in to only a 20 amp power source: will the refrigerator run?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #7

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
I plug RV in to a 10 amp wall socket at home to cool the refrigerator down before trips, so yes it should.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I guess that means that I've got a problem with my Fridge,,,
Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
It may be as simple as air in the propane line. Follow the suggestion to light the stove burners, and leave them on for a few minutes. That should purge any air in the lines, if that is the problem. Yes you need 12 volts to run the refrigerator, even on propane.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It DID take a while to get mine purring away on propane...
The Stove lit up quickly, but the Fridge took at least five tries, before it lit up...
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
The refrigerator runs a very small flame, much much smaller than the stove top, and is therefore, far more sensitive to any propane interruption.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #12

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #4022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshowrv View Post
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. When I turn off generator & try to run fridge on propane the yellow light keeps flashing. I’m at a fair grounds right now & generators have to turn off @ 10pm. There’s no electric either. I would appreciate any comments at all. Thanks.
P.S. can you guess this is my shakedown trip?
We had aprob w ours. The igniter was too close to the burner and we would get mini explosions. Which prevented lighting. The igniter need to be 1/8 to 1/4in above burner.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Sometimes when I disconnect the AC, the yellow light on the fridge blinks. Try turning it off and then back to auto.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #14

THOR #8445
First off -thank goodness & thanks to all the members who took the time to answer my question. I will pay it forward. Shortly after I posted I dropped my phone in the dark outside somewhere in the grass. This was my first dry camping. I wasn’t prepared in my head for dry camping yet. The fairgrounds RV parking was actually a cow pasture. Not one light or lamp post within 1000’. No nothing. Generator had to be shut off at 11pm. And I arrived in the dark with three dogs. But not before I read the reply from Traveling Texans. I lit the burners on my stove & sure enough that worked. I was relieved that I wouldn’t have to leave because my groceries had spoiled.