Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
z28

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #9536
Basement Locks Rusting

So my wife and I have owned our 2018 Thor ACE sine August 2018 and I observed that emery lock cylinder on all of the basement doors are all beginning to rust. Is this a defect in the chrome? I wonder if this is a warrantable item. ?
Thanks
Mark

Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm guessing that it sin't, but you should definitely call your Dealer and ask them about this.
Good luck, and please let us know what they say!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28 View Post
So my wife and I have owned our 2018 Thor ACE sine August 2018 and I observed that emery lock cylinder on all of the basement doors are all beginning to rust. Is this a defect in the chrome? I wonder if this is a warrantable item. ?
Thanks
Mark
From our experience this is something that Thor might send to you direct. I know some on the forum have indicated that Thor wants you to go through your dealer but we have had good luck going direct to Thor and they ship the parts to us direct. I should state that all of the parts are simple repairs so worth a try.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
z28

THOR #9536
So I called Thor directly, they say it is normal for the environment I live in and to spray the lock cylinders with WD40, we all know this is only a bandaid especially for a 2018 model year coach. I will take it up with Camping World, hopefully I will be satisfied with their solution
Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
And even if CW were to replace each and every lock, they would probably rust again, so why not follow Thor's advice and spray with WD40, it will save you the lay up time to replace all the locks which in all probability will rust again. The WD40 will probably remove the rust on the locks you have now.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
z28

THOR #9536
I agree, but why would every lock cylinder on the right and left side begin to rust on a 2018, I don’t live near salt water and the coach is parked in covered storage
Old 04-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
All of mine corroded pretty badly because the RV was driven on salted winter roads. I used graphite lock spray on them, and they are functional.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
I guess it's too much to ask that RV manufacturers build their products using materials that will withstand the elements that they are supposedly designed to operate in.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:35 AM   #9

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Following our Northeast winter cleaning the basement doors I noticed rust on the lock to the TV compartment. Upon closer inspection and removing the lock I noted the internal door (material between the internal and external laminate) was very wet. Couple things I noticed, Thor didn't put a rubber seal on the exterior of the lock cylinder. The second and probably more of a culprit to the wet door material is the two small weep holes in the frame of the door (you can feel them if you run your fingers under the frame). The frame of the door sits very close to the frame of the opening and water sits between the two and due to the relative closeness the holes actually allow the water to wick up into the door. I went on CH751.com and ordered some new locks and made sure they have rubber seals. As for the frame holes I'll seal them and caulk the lower door frame to keep moisture out as I'm sure this frame around the exterior laminate allows water to enter.

Tags
basement, lock, rust