Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 39
THOR #12082
30 amp with two roof airs?

When on Generator I can run both airs! I understand that on shore power I can only run one air at a time. There is a switch under my bed that I assume lets me switch airs from front to back. My problem is I can not switch on my back air on shore power!! I can find no reason it will not switch on? Is there a fuse? Has anyone else had this issue? I have a 05 Hurricane 31'..

Any comments welcome
__________________

__________________
rogers.dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,253
THOR #8860
Not knowing the specifics of your rig: I'd have to guess that the 30 amp service just isn't enough "juice" for the job, and you'd need to upgrade the system in order to run both at the same time.
__________________

__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 39
THOR #12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Not knowing the specifics of your rig: I'd have to guess that the 30 amp service just isn't enough "juice" for the job, and you'd need to upgrade the system in order to run both at the same time.


My problem is I cant switch to run the back air? I understand I cant run both at same time. My problem is I cant get the back to come on when on shore power??
__________________
rogers.dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,798
THOR #4735
try unplugging, THEN switch to the rear AC unit, then plug back in and see what happens...

also, while it's another rving 'myth', you CAN absolutely operate two AC units on 30amps...there's no reason why you can't. Turn off all other breakers in your coach, except the two AC breakers, and then turn one AC unit on, and when it gets up to operation, turn on the other.
While you might not be able to run the electric water heater, the battery charger, or the microwave at the same time, you'll quickly find relief from this rving 'myth'!
__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada.... was WC Georgia, then W NorthCarolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 11,253
THOR #8860
While that does work... doesn't it feel a lot like running down into the basement of your house, and pulling fuses from the circuit box?
To me: this falls into the category of "Possible; but not practical"...
(We had a house with a 60 amp service...)
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,798
THOR #4735
the 'myth' is continually perpetrated in the RVing world for this very reason... folks want to suddenly make more out of it than reality - there is no 'need' to 'run down into the basement to pull fuses' or such nonsense, but the reality is that most newer RVrs don't yet realize the potential of their electrical needs, and how the breaker box addresses those.

The suggestion to turn OFF all breakers except the AC units, at least when you aren't yet knowledgeable about your breaker box, is to eliminate any other 'loads' that may be 'ON', yet not 'seen' by the owner.... such as the Electric water heater element, and the Battery Charger(especially if you have a integrated Inverter/Charger), as either of these could take up enough 'amp' space that trying to run both AC units simultaneously could trip the shore power breaker, or the coach's main breaker.
When this happens, most immediately think that it's somehow 'impossible' to run both AC's on 30amp service, but what they are not seeing are these 'silent' amp users who are the real culprits.

Once you understand your breaker box, and how your coach is segmented within it, and which outlets and devices are powered thru it, you get a much better idea of 'what to do' in situations where only 30amp service is available, but it's 'hot outside!' and you want to run both AC units at the same time.

Just the other day, from a personal experience, we parked at a beautiful mountainside campground, which only had 30amp service, yet it was 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity when we arrived.
I plugged in, turned off any 'silent' devices, such as the Charger and the Water Heater, and turned on BOTH air conditioners, one at a time... ALONG with the residential fridge, our computers, several bedside fans, and the TV and receiver.
Both AC units continued to work fine, and continuously, for the next 6 hours as the outside temps began to finally settle down for overnight.

The owner even made a comment that he was sorry that we had to endure the 30amp service, the only one in his park, while it was so hot. He was SHOCKED when I told him I had no problem, and was running both AC units... what!!?
He had bought into the myth, even as a campground owner, AND a long time motorhome owner himself. He had always been 'told' that it wasn't possible, as though you would somehow 'break' your air conditioner if you tried. Crazy.
__________________
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 2,265
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the 'myth' is continually perpetrated in the RVing world for this very reason... folks want to suddenly make more out of it than reality - there is no 'need' to 'run down into the basement to pull fuses' or such nonsense, but the reality is that most newer RVrs don't yet realize the potential of their electrical needs, and how the breaker box addresses those.

The suggestion to turn OFF all breakers except the AC units, at least when you aren't yet knowledgeable about your breaker box, is to eliminate any other 'loads' that may be 'ON', yet not 'seen' by the owner.... such as the Electric water heater element, and the Battery Charger(especially if you have a integrated Inverter/Charger), as either of these could take up enough 'amp' space that trying to run both AC units simultaneously could trip the shore power breaker, or the coach's main breaker.
When this happens, most immediately think that it's somehow 'impossible' to run both AC's on 30amp service, but what they are not seeing are these 'silent' amp users who are the real culprits.

Once you understand your breaker box, and how your coach is segmented within it, and which outlets and devices are powered thru it, you get a much better idea of 'what to do' in situations where only 30amp service is available, but it's 'hot outside!' and you want to run both AC units at the same time.

Just the other day, from a personal experience, we parked at a beautiful mountainside campground, which only had 30amp service, yet it was 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity when we arrived.
I plugged in, turned off any 'silent' devices, such as the Charger and the Water Heater, and turned on BOTH air conditioners, one at a time... ALONG with the residential fridge, our computers, several bedside fans, and the TV and receiver.
Both AC units continued to work fine, and continuously, for the next 6 hours as the outside temps began to finally settle down for overnight.

The owner even made a comment that he was sorry that we had to endure the 30amp service, the only one in his park, while it was so hot. He was SHOCKED when I told him I had no problem, and was running both AC units... what!!?
He had bought into the myth, even as a campground owner, AND a long time motorhome owner himself. He had always been 'told' that it wasn't possible, as though you would somehow 'break' your air conditioner if you tried. Crazy.
Have you checked the voltage while running both??

Jerry
__________________
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...mods-4609.html
Jerry, Maria, and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 556
THOR #11781
Gonna try this tip.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ron1Z's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Florida
Posts: 339
THOR #8069
I agree, it's all about AMP draw. Operating two A/C units drawing about 12 Amps each. Your golden.
__________________
Ron1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 39
THOR #12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
I agree, it's all about AMP draw. Operating two A/C units drawing about 12 Amps each. Your golden.

Not about amps! I would still like to know how come I can not switch off my front air and turn on my back air when on shore power when I can do this when on the generator?
__________________
rogers.dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,763
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers.dwight View Post
When on Generator I can run both airs! I understand that on shore power I can only run one air at a time. There is a switch under my bed that I assume lets me switch airs from front to back. My problem is I can not switch on my back air on shore power!! I can find no reason it will not switch on? Is there a fuse? Has anyone else had this issue? I have a 05 Hurricane 31'..

Any comments welcome
My 2000 Infinity sounds like it was wired in a similar way - a switch by the bed selected which AC would run when on 30A shore power - both were powered by the genny.

Does one position of the switch 'disable' the front AC? Or does it have no effect? I would suspect the switch...

As a side note - At the genny, one leg went to a plug/socket in the genny compartment that allowed 'unplugging' the genny - and plugging in a separate 20A cord just for that second AC - whichever one the inside switch had designated as 'off'...
Don't know if that was standard or a customization - but it was nice...
__________________

__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×