Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #11310
97 Thor Power Box

1997 Thor Pinnacle 32'. When plugged in there is a buzzing sound coming from a metal box mounted under the chassis just inboard of the retractable steps. I can see into the box thru vent holes but can't figure out how to open the box. The deep cycle batteries are not charging and I think the charger is in this box. Any ideas how to access the box?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I see you have no responses so far on trying to access your converter on this old coach. I'll be honest, I dont have a clue either but just for fun I was reading some other owners comments on their old Pinnacle coaches and one of them said there are four plastic caps on the entry steps that cover screws which hold a cover plate over the converter. If this is true it might apply to your coach too. I was reading this info at
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ion-84893.html

Hope this helps you a bit. By the way they said that schematics etc are very hard to come by.......but maybe they are still around that you can contact since it was 2011 posts I was reading. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #11310
Thanks for the info! Today I peeled up the rubber steps, removed the carpet from the face of the steps and was able to remove the wood pieces and access the compartment! Inside the big steel box, which was welded to the frame, was a smaller vented steel box which I presume was the inverter. I checked the output and finally found that the 6v coach batteries ("sealed" type) were dry inside and had gone bad. So much for "sealed" batteries.
I do have schematics but they don't show the locations of the components. I never would have thought about having to tunnel into the steps. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Glad that I was able to help a bit. I actually did a Google search on your coach info and stumbled on the hyperlink in my original response, which just happened to include a discussion on your issue. Sometimes a horse shoe comes in handy. Good luck with your repairs and restoration.

Tags
charger box access