Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #8104
97 Thor Residency Chasis Battery Won't Stay On

Folks new user. This is my second Thor residency, I just got it a week or two ago.

A few days ago when I tried to turn the chassis batter connector to the use mode (above the door entrance). The light comes on but does not stay on. When pushed off occasionally we get rapid clicking from the starter solenoid (located on the front of the firewall). If you have someone hold the batter connector in the on position, you can start the RV. It cranks hard so I'm thinking the battery is good, it's only a year old. When turning the key to the start position the rapid clicking of the solenoid happens as well, it's at the A/C on step. Once running the light on the battery connector stay illuminated.

I cleaned up the fuses on the solenoid, checked the connections with my electrical box. I've got 12v coming from the battery, when the solenoid is energized I've got 12v on the outbound post. I've attached a picture of the unit.

I'm thinking change the solenoid, but generally when they fail they just stop working. I'm wondering what's making it jump on and off in the rapid clicking fault.

What components of the system am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
The pictures didnt work for me. The sound you describe sounds like a bad connection. A loose wire terminal or dirty battery post connection. It may work for a small load but when you try to use a bunch of amps the connection breaks and you get that grrrrr sound.