Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #16461
99 Windsport Jacks won't budge

I recently bought a 99 Windsport. The guy i got it from said the hydraulic fluid needs to be changed but otherwise they should still work, just might be a little slow till i do that.

I went through the instructions step by step. All the lights on the controls for the Jacks light up as they should, but nothing happens when i go to extend the jacks. I would think if the problem was with the fluid i would at least hear the hydraulic pump engage and try to do something, but i don't hear anything like it's not getting an electric signal.

I'm thinking at this point it might be a fuse someplace is blown, but i can't find it. Anyone know where i should be looking? Also anything else i should check while i'm working on this? I checked the manual, they have basic operating diagrams but don't specify where on the bus the items listed actually are.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Based on my MH there is a hydraulic pump that gets power directly (through a DC solenoid) from the battery bay with its own DC breaker. So if the pump won't run when tasked to by the panel it could be an open breaker, a bad solenoid, a bad pump motor, or a problem in the control panel/circuits. I'd get out a voltmeter and check the pump motor to see if it is getting the 12 VDC when tasked. Go from there.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

THOR #16461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I'd get out a voltmeter and check the pump motor to see if it is getting the 12 VDC when tasked. Go from there.
Stupid question incoming...

Where is the pump motor? I think this is my major hiccup right now, i just can't find anything. Where should i be looking for breakers, and pumps n such for the hydraulic system?

I'd love to have some sort of site that has a bunch of pictures labeling where all the major maintenance type things are to check them all. I feel so lost just searching around every nook n cranny for things. Or maybe a video that walks through all these places on the bus.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my motor home the leveling jack motor and reservoir are located in a driver's side storage compartment.

Did you start the engine and set the parking brake before trying to raise or lowers the jacks?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
On my motor home the leveling jack motor and reservoir are located in a driver's side storage compartment.

Did you start the engine and set the parking brake before trying to raise or lowers the jacks?
On my 2015 Windsport the compartment is on the passenger side; same compartment as the coach batteries.

The hydraulic pump (at least on my RV) also has two inline fuses, located in the power leads. Recommend you engage the levelers with the engine running so you have a strong power supply as the pump motor draws a lot of current.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

THOR #16461
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

Yea i followed the instructions. I noticed if i didn't have the parking brake on when trying it the red light would come on and not allow operation. All the lights on the hydraulic control pad work like it should, yellow lights on where it wants you to level and all, just when you go to make the hydraulics move the jacks nothing happens.