Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Your A/C, Water Heater, Microwave, and anything plugged into the wall plugs like at home are all operating off 120 Volt AC. AC current comes from the park pedestal or your generator. So when you unplugged you cut off the AC current going to the RV.

The AC current also goes to your Converter where it is distributed to your AC circuits through the circuit breakers in your converter. The Converter also (as its name implies) converts the 120 VC current into 12 V DC. The 12VDC is routed through the Converter's fuses into the DC circuitry throughout the RV. It also send 12 VDC to the house batteries to charge them (and also to the chassis battery to charge it when the engine isn't running).

When you are not plugged into external AC or your generator is not running, then 12 VDC is provided to the RV from the house batteries. 12VDC is used by the RV for ceiling lights, awning motor, fan motor in your furnace, thermostat, many sensors throughout the RV (refrig sensors, furnace ignition system, water pump, slide motors, smoke and propane detector, and holding tank heaters).

I don't know if you have an inverter -- but if you do an inverter converts 12 VDC into 120V. So if you were "boondock" camping and had no outside power or were not running the generator, the inverter would convert 12 VDC from your batteries into 120 VAC. However, there is no way your batteries would last long trying to provide power for your A/C, TVs, water heater, and microwave.

Here is a link to a basic guide to power in and RV. How electricity is routed, how and when batteries are charges, and how AC and DC are related in an RV can get pretty complex. This guide will help you understand some of the basics. http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #22

State: Illinois
THOR #11013
Thanks GMC. That helps a lot. I guess we just never noticed before plugging in at campgrounds. Like I said we are dummies when comes to all this. But thank you everyone for not making me feel too stupid. All of you are awesome. Blessings to you all. And happy RVing,
Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #23

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Your A/C, Water Heater, Microwave, and anything plugged into the wall plugs like at home are all operating off 120 Volt AC. AC current comes from the park pedestal or your generator. So when you unplugged you cut off the AC current going to the RV.

The AC current also goes to your Converter where it is distributed to your AC circuits through the circuit breakers in your converter.
The Converter also (as its name implies) converts the 120 VC current into 12 V DC. The 12VDC is routed through the Converter's fuses into the DC circuitry throughout the RV. It also send 12 VDC to the house batteries to charge them (and also to the chassis battery to charge it when the engine isn't running).

When you are not plugged into external AC or your generator is not running, then 12 VDC is provided to the RV from the house batteries. 12VDC is used by the RV for ceiling lights, awning motor, fan motor in your furnace, thermostat, many sensors throughout the RV (refrig sensors, furnace ignition system, water pump, slide motors, smoke and propane detector, and holding tank heaters).

I don't know if you have an inverter -- but if you do an inverter converts 12 VDC into 120V. So if you were "boondock" camping and had no outside power or were not running the generator, the inverter would convert 12 VDC from your batteries into 120 VAC. However, there is no way your batteries would last long trying to provide power for your A/C, TVs, water heater, and microwave.

Here is a link to a basic guide to power in and RV. How electricity is routed, how and when batteries are charges, and how AC and DC are related in an RV can get pretty complex. This guide will help you understand some of the basics. Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
The converter has absolutely nothing to do with the A/C system. It just happens to be in the same box. The A/C system has a breaker that feeds the converter. The converter is a battery charger that feeds the 12 volts systems and charges the battery.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
This got a little messy, but likely it was just a slight typo originally:

The AC current also goes to your Converter where it is distributed to your DC circuits through the DC circuit breakers.

And then, when we abbreviate Air Conditioning it is "A/C". When we talk about Alternating Current it is "AC".

Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
This got a little messy, but likely it was just a slight typo originally:

The AC current also goes to your Converter where it is distributed to your DC circuits through the DC circuit breakers.

And then, when we abbreviate Air Conditioning it is "A/C". When we talk about Alternating Current it is "AC".

Tomatoes. Potatoes. AC in: DC out
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Well Djrmar6, I sure wish I lived closer to you. It's clear you guys need a little guidance and I'd love to help you get over that hump. But alas, I'm in NC so you're a bit too far away.

Do you have any friends with RV's? If so, it might help to spend some time with them and bounce questions/answers between each other. Or maybe there is a class being offered somewhere that you can take?

This forum is a great resource but I think you guys need a little "hands on" if you will. Anyhow, best of luck and I hope you get your problems squared away soon!

Jim
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #27

State: Illinois
THOR #11013
Thank you so much SQUERLY. Yes we do need some hands on and I will be looking into a finding a class.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #28

THOR #2601
cavie -- On my converter (and probably all converters) one side contains all the fuses that connect to all the 12 VDC wiring (circuits) in the entire RV. On my converter pictured, that is the right side with the fuses. Thus firstly the converter provides distribution to the 12 VDC system. In addition, the other side of the converter (on mine that's the left side with the circuit breakers pictured) contains all the circuit breakers on the 120 VAC wiring (circuits). Both sides are visible on the attached picture of my converter.

So the converter is the distributer of all the 120 VAC in the RV. Then thirdly, the converter takes the 120 VAC coming from the pedestal or the generator through the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and converts it to 12 VDC to go through the fuses into the 12 VDC circuits. So in essence in addition to being the device that converts AC current to DC current, it also provides 12 VDC to charge the batteries, and finally is the device that distributes both 120 VAC and 12 VDC to the electrical wiring in the RV.

So above when I said "The AC current also goes to your Converter where it is distributed to your AC circuits through the circuit breakers in your converter." the AC I was referencing was not the Air Conditioner. The AC was referencing all the 120 VAC wiring (circuits) that the converter distributes the 120 VAC to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter CBs & Fuses.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	19178  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
cavie -- On my converter (and probably all converters) one side contains all the fuses that connect to all the 12 VDC wiring (circuits) in the entire RV. On my converter pictured, that is the right side with the fuses. Thus firstly the converter provides distribution to the 12 VDC system. In addition, the other side of the converter (on mine that's the left side with the circuit breakers pictured) contains all the circuit breakers on the 120 VAC wiring (circuits). Both sides are visible on the attached picture of my converter.

So the converter is the distributer of all the 120 VAC in the RV. Then thirdly, the converter takes the 120 VAC coming from the pedestal or the generator through the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and converts it to 12 VDC to go through the fuses into the 12 VDC circuits. So in essence in addition to being the device that converts AC current to DC current, it also provides 12 VDC to charge the batteries, and finally is the device that distributes both 120 VAC and 12 VDC to the electrical wiring in the RV.

So above when I said "The AC current also goes to your Converter where it is distributed to your AC circuits through the circuit breakers in your converter." the AC I was referencing was not the Air Conditioner. The AC was referencing all the 120 VAC wiring (circuits) that the converter distributes the 120 VAC to.
Except that is not your converter. It is a distribution panel that contains a converter. This is the converter inside that distribution panel.

It may also look like this:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #30

State: Alaska
THOR #16109
We also had issues with our automatic transfer switch. It burnt up all the wires in the coach. But we had smoke and it was scary.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #31

THOR #2601
I have the WFCO 8900 Power Center. Converter and cooling fan is on the bottom. Power distribution center on top with 30 amp Main Circuit breaker, 9 AC and 11 DC branch circuits with circuit breakers on AC circuits and fuses on DC circuits. The whole thing is contained in a single large brown box.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 08-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
same happened to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrmar6 View Post
I love this site. Have always helped in past but it seems every time we get ready to take off in our 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. There is an issue. Today it’s none of TVs come on. Microwave. Or AC. We had a new electrical converter installed about 1 year ago. In house batteries are fully charged. I also noticed the outlet in bathroom doesn’t light up. Can someone give me some insight on what’s happening. I did check all breakers. HELP!!

I have a Thor Hurricane 29X. What caused mine was a bad outside outlet. It took the electrician quite a while to trouble shoot to narrow it down to that. Strange that one outside plugin would knock so much out. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #33

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3169
What DOES work? Anything?
Old 08-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #34

THOR #3169
Sometimes everything electrical in my RV would work and at another campground nothing came on or maybe half on. For a long time I blamed the campground. However, it wasn’t them. On the outside I changed the receptacle on the RV and my cord’s plug that goes into it. That fixed it. It was just a bad connection.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #35
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
I love this site. Have always helped in past but it seems every time we get ready to take off in our 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. There is an issue. Today it’s none of TVs come on. Microwave. Or AC. We had a new electrical converter installed about 1 year ago. In house batteries are fully charged. I also noticed the outlet in bathroom doesn’t light up. Can someone give me some insight on what’s happening. I did check all breakers. HELP!!
YOU DID …. SWITCH FROM STORE TO USE ? sometimes the obvious is overlooked !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #36

Model: Windsport 34E
THOR #13360
Quote:

The AC current also goes to your Converter where it is distributed to your AC circuits through the circuit breakers in your converter. The Converter also (as its name implies) converts the 120 VC current into 12 V DC. The 12VDC is routed through the Converter's fuses into the DC circuitry throughout the RV. It also send 12 VDC to the house batteries to charge them (and also to the chassis battery to charge it when the engine isn't running).

Here is a link to a basic guide to power in and RV. How electricity is routed, how and when batteries are charges, and how AC and DC are related in an RV can get pretty complex. This guide will help you understand some of the basics. Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
Excellent post
Admin this one might be worth making a sticky. It covers the basics and is in plain enough language that most will be able to learn the electrical stuff.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #37

Model: Vegas
State: Alaska
THOR #1728
Power adapter

Quote:
Same thing happened to my Vegas it was the 110 adapter plug that went bad.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:47 AM   #38

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
I had that problem in a Vegas. I had the local RV guy look at the problem and said he had to replace the AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH. It is located on the 25.2 to the left of the fridge behind the bottom big drawer. He found it was wired wrong. Almost all of my wiring had been install wrong. House batteries were and emergency start has never worked.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #39

State: Quebec
THOR #2688
Quote:
I bought a small meter that I plug on outlet at the left of entry, I always check and make certain it is in the green zone. About $20
Old 08-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #40

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Djrmar6,
One thing we keep relearning is that if we are running the AC, the Microwave and the DW decides to blow dry her hair that is too much for the 30Amp service and it trips the breaker. We seem to have to relearn that one at least once a year!

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote