Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrmar6 View Post
Thanks GMC. That helps a lot. I guess we just never noticed before plugging in at campgrounds. Like I said we are dummies when comes to all this. But thank you everyone for not making me feel too stupid. All of you are awesome. Blessings to you all. And happy RVing,
You are NOT a dummy! If you are then I am in the same boat with you. I did the same thing one day. I could not understand why the lights worked but the ac wouldn’t come on. My husband is the one who finally determined the breaker had tripped at our house. Keep asking questions and reading these posts. The people in this forum are awesome! Have a wonderful trip!

Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrmar6 View Post
I love this site. Have always helped in past but it seems every time we get ready to take off in our 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1. There is an issue. Today it’s none of TVs come on. Microwave. Or AC. We had a new electrical converter installed about 1 year ago. In house batteries are fully charged. I also noticed the outlet in bathroom doesn’t light up. Can someone give me some insight on what’s happening. I did check all breakers. HELP!!
Sounds like a ground fault issue. I had some plugs that were out and a tv that was black and found resetting the GFI in the bathroom did it. It may be tripped or needs replacing. It's a simple job you can do yourself if that's the problem.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #43

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3169
30 amp trip

We have the same problem. We forget sometimes and it blows. AC and just about any heat making appliance will trip it.

If you find an answer other than cutting off AC when using small appliances, please let me know.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #44

Model: Outlaw 23h
State: New York
THOR #13693
I have a thor outlaw toy hauler and have had many similar issues. One lesson I learned was that you cannot turn on ac or micro etc when plugged into a my house as it is not a 30 amp outlet. Fuses / breakers blew. There was a breaker inside one of our drawers where we put our clothes. Wish I could learn how all this works. I still have no idea what the difference is between inverter or converter and where to look when things dont work. Any lessons out there?
Old 08-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #45

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
- a CONVERTER converts 120v shore power DOWN to 12v power for all of your onboard 12v lights, 12v fans, 12v furnace fan, 12v water pump, etc., so that those are no longer drawing directly from the battery bank, and at the same time CHARGES the battery(s)

This is pretty stock on most ANY small to medium size RV, whether trailer, pop up, CLass C or B or A...

- an INVERTER does just the opposite: it uses BATTERY power to make 120v power to it's outlet, where you plug items in, such as a residential fridge, or to a sub-panel within your RV, where some or all of your outlets will be powered by it, when not on shore power or the generator.
An inverter is typically part of RVs that have a residential 120v fridge, and larger motorhomes and RVs that also want to provide off-grid 120v power to some or all of the outlets in the RV, all the time, such as for the microwave, device charger outlets, cpap machine outlets, and all the outlets to your TVs and satellite receivers, etc.

Since most RVs only have the CONVERTER, you would need to be plugged into shore power, or a generator, to have 120v power to all the outlets, air conditioners, etc.
This is a little less convenient while traveling, or while parked off-grid, but it's a simple way to provide electricity when the 120v power is available otherwise. You have use of your 12v devices and items and appliances ALL the time, though.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #46

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
I had that problem in a Vegas. I had the local RV guy look at the problem and said he had to replace the AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH. It is located on the 25.2 to the left of the fridge behind the bottom big drawer. He found it was wired wrong. Almost all of my wiring had been install wrong. House batteries were and emergency start has never worked.
We could not get the EMERGENCY START to work, and the SHORE POWER or GENERATOR would not charge the CHASSIS battery. Found out the BIRD in out 2016 VEGAS was wired wrong from the factory. Got brave (with the help of my voltmeter and lots of BIRD diagrams from the forum) and rewired the connections to the BIRD. Everything has worked as its supposed to for the two years since...

Gets scary sometimes cutting and rewiring..
Old 08-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #47
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinez View Post
I have a thor outlaw toy hauler and
Wish I could learn how all this works. I still have no idea what the difference is between inverter or converter and where to look when things dont work. Any lessons out there?

TurnerFam gave a good description of the Converter/inverter...

If you haven’t already, even though you don’t have an Axis/Vegas, download Ed Felker’s manual... Many of the principles apply to most of our rigs, even if locations will be different.
He included descriptions on how the components work.

Beyond that, ask questions. Many happy to share knowledge/experience.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote