Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
AC Unit Dripping

2018 Windsport 29M, single roof top AC unit (13.5K btu). I have witnessed several times during a very heavy rain that I will get a few drips of water coming from the inside grill into my kitchen. Also, following a real “gully washer” I got drips when the AC unit shuts off (unit was running during the rain storm).
No other leaks noticed at any time.
Is this just a function of rain getting into the unit from the exterior vents on the unit and then making its way to the interior grill and dripping out or do I have an issue? It’s not a lot of water.
Thanks.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The Colman A/Cs have a drip tray that collects the humidity that the evaporator coil removes from the air. There is a tube that is attached to the rear of the drip tray that leads to a collection basin at the rear of the a/c just in front of the condenser. The reason for all this plumbing is so the condenser fan can sling the moister on the condenser and improve the A/Cs efficiency. There is probably a blockage in the tray, tube or overflow in the collection basin. Also it the A/C was not level when installed or the coach not close to level the water will not drain properly, so the system cam be overwhelmed on hot humid days.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #3

THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The Colman A/Cs have a drip tray that collects the humidity that the evaporator coil removes from the air. There is a tube that is attached to the rear of the drip tray that leads to a collection basin at the rear of the a/c just in front of the condenser. The reason for all this plumbing is so the condenser fan can sling the moister on the condenser and improve the A/Cs efficiency. There is probably a blockage in the tray, tube or overflow in the collection basin. Also it the A/C was not level when installed or the coach not close to level the water will not drain properly, so the system cam be overwhelmed on hot humid days.

Thx for the info. The confounding piece is that it ran fine all day in the hottest part of the day; the was moisture running down the side of the RV during the day so not sure about a blockage. Only was an issue after the hard Tstorms. Also, unit is level, hence the question.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:24 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Also snug down the four long bolts from the inside of the RV. These are the bolts that hold the entire AC on your roof. The gasket between the AC and your roof can get crush enough that if the bolts are not tight enough it will let rain or normal AC drainage into the RV of its sitting just right.

Do not over tighten them.... just snug them down some.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Also snug down the four long bolts from the inside of the RV. These are the bolts that hold the entire AC on your roof. The gasket between the AC and your roof can get crush enough that if the bolts are not tight enough it will let rain or normal AC drainage into the RV of its sitting just right.

If doing the above does not work, I would replace the foam gasket.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
If doing the above does not work, I would replace the foam gasket.

Thanks for the tip, will check it out.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #14989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Is there something the owner can do to correct? I have a drip from front unit that drips outside and runs off of the side of the unit. I have a new 29M Windsport.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsport_29_M View Post
Is there something the owner can do to correct? I have a drip from front unit that drips outside and runs off of the side of the unit. I have a new 29M Windsport.
Too many units. Did you mean?
"I have a drip from front Air Conditioner that drips outside and runs off of the side of the coach."

If that's the case there's nothing to correct. That's the way it's supposed to work. The best you can do it either tilt the coach with the levelers so the drip does not go where you don't want it to go, or, install gutters on your coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I thought about using eternal bond tape on the roof to help re-direct the water to the front or back ... that way its always in the same spots (one in each corner of the RV) and confine the black streak to one of 4 spots.

I would think it would work well unless your really bad out of level (or while driving).

I wonder if anyone has tired 4 hoses taped to the roof (One for each drain hole on the AC drip pain) but I would hate for one to clog and cause a leak inside the RV?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsport_29_M View Post
You can use a condensate pump and route the condensate to the gray water vent stack. That the way the expensive diesels do it. <https://www.rvproductsshop.com/parts-accessories/standard-height-condensate-pump-49233-5091.html>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #14989
Thank you Ace. I am new to the MH. I wasn't sure if there was a problem. I was trying to be proactive.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #18612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

This fixed my leak today. They weren’t even hand tightened it seems. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:24 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurnwald View Post
This fixed my leak today. They weren’t even hand tightened it seems. Thanks for the tip!
I had that exact problem, and snugging those bolts solved it. Like yours, ours were quite loose.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote