Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #12479
Access to generator

Thor 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE.

Having multiple problems with the generator. Will ask about those issues once my main problem is solved. That problem is: the generator is installed so close to the RV's access door that the generator's cover cannot be removed for inspection and problem diagnosis. Have checked to see if the generator can be moved away from the door without success.

Any ideas? Just praying we don't have to take it to CW as we have already been down that bumpy road with other issues.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
If in warranty, Thor will authorize a shop to perform repair. You do not need to go to CW. If out of warranty, take it where you like. It does sound like some sort of install issue so it won't be an easy fix.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #3

THOR #12479
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
If in warranty, Thor will authorize a shop to perform repair. You do not need to go to CW. If out of warranty, take it where you like. It does sound like some sort of install issue so it won't be an easy fix.
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering if the generator shop would deal with the install issue or send me to CW to fix that first?
Old 12-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If your FE is out of warranty: Camping World should be out of the picture.
If it's a warranty issue: the generator repair shop should be able to contact Thor directly, and sort this out for you.
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you had a chance to look at other 26HE's on dealer lots to see if they all are built that way? (If they are it is unlikely that any dealer will modify it under warranty.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Most gens have a 2 year/2000 hr. Warranty from onan
Old 05-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #15296
[QUOTE=lucita white;159034]Thor 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE.

Having multiple problems with the generator. Will ask about those issues once my main problem is solved. That problem is: the generator is installed so close to the RV's access door that the generator's cover cannot be removed for inspection and problem diagnosis. Have checked to see if the generator can be moved away from the door without success.

Any ideas? Just praying we don't have to take it to CW as we have already been down that bumpy road with other issues.

I did not see a response to your question. I think I may end up having the same problem accessing the generator. Were you ever able to find out how?
Old 05-10-2020, 02:06 AM   #8

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
[QUOTE=frankgtx;233603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucita white View Post
Thor 2018 Freedom Elite 26HE.

I did not see a response to your question. I think I may end up having the same problem accessing the generator. Were you ever able to find out how?
I was ready to say...
Easy to get off turn the 2 knobs lift straight up pull the bottom out drop it down
Then I looked at one on RVTrader, If yours looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5e530c712742ac63f31d29ef.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	23665  
Old 09-23-2020, 10:56 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #14070
I found this thread when looking for an answer on how to get to my generator. I’m coming up on 50 hrs and want to change the oil, but... uh... is there something I’m missing here? I can’t get to anything from the bottom. This is unserviceable!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5391.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	26275
Old 09-24-2020, 12:56 AM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I believe that you have two access buttons(upper right and upper left) on the generator that you push in and then the front cover just lifts up slightly to remove the cover. You will then have access to change the oil and do maintenance. There are a couple of YouTube videos that will show you how to remove the cover.

Paul
Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 AM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
There is an oval access plate to get to the oil drain plug. Two star screws if memory serves. No oil filter on the 4000kW units. It’s easy.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:13 AM   #12

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Had this problem once before.....
After turning the latch to the open position, instead of trying to let the door fall toward you from the top, keep it closer to the genset and push the door up to release it from the bottom. Then after the bottom part is free allow it to drop between the MH door frame and the genset frame before trying to extract it. At this point you should be able to remove the cover from the compartment.