Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Actually, this thread has some great information...but only for those who don't know everything there is to know. In your finger-pointing analogy above of the frame, hitch manufacturer, Thor, MH owner, etc., where did you account for the "installer" of the hitch??
I go with human error most of the time.... there is, and will always be a % there.. next I go with experience … nothing would ever happen to that hitch till someone hooks something to it..I go to the dunes a lot. and it seems the norm there to way way way over load trailers...I sit in my camp chair by the fire and do the math of how much is loaded into a 20' box trailer...watch over loaded motorhomes pull in with front wheels barely touching the ground...no one goes across the scales and checks their load to see tongue weight GCVW...15000 lbs pulled with RV 5000 hitch , 3500 drop, and 3500 lb ball....yeah , it'll work and get you to the dunes... but stuff like this happens and they wanna point the finger..... the guy that towed the jeep was more the last straw..and he never chaecked anything.... as you can see from the rust that the problem was there already....I hate the fact that that facebook page is allowed... you can only bash thor???? thor lovers not allowed... and you have to bash real good in your first post or you don't get in the place....the way forums work is you post a problem, and you get help with the problem on how to fix it and most of the time get educated on what you are doing wrong,... I personally go way over board when towing,.. I order triple axel trailer for every thing that 3 will fit..I've been putting 235 85 tires on class C's forever... those little 225-75's are way too small and get hot a nd blow out...not everytime,.. but it does happen.... I had American force make me a set of 22.5 wheels so I could put 22.5s on my f53

Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #42

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
My first question with most issues people have..."Have you tried tightening the loose nut behind the wheel first?".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #43

THOR #12329
Here's a better video of that 26he pulling a 24' box trailer...

Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #44

THOR #12329
Quote:
My first question with most issues people have..."Have you tried tightening the loose nut behind the wheel first?".

LOL, yes, failure to do so cause's a lot of swaying and ill handling down the road...
Old 03-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #45

THOR #12329
Quote:
Actually, this thread has some great information...but only for those who don't know everything there is to know. In your finger-pointing analogy above of the frame, hitch manufacturer, Thor, MH owner, etc., where did you account for the "installer" of the hitch??
I stand corrected here, the frame extensions would be a thor issue...sorry...
Old 09-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #26670
At least you had two bolts.
Mine don't even have that. just some tack welds and that's it.
time to start sending complaints to DOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Finally got around to checking out my hitch and glad I did. Looks like Thor ran out of bolts and left out the 3rd bolt on each side of the hitch. So, I dropped by the hardware store and got a couple and installed them. It may have been ok with two bolts, but if there are three holes................. better safe than sorry.
I removed and relocated the wire tie.
Attachment 15453
Old 09-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #47

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobinacan View Post
At least you had two bolts.
Mine don't even have that. just some tack welds and that's it.
time to start sending complaints to DOT.

I once bought a new pickup truck and paid the dealer to install a class 3 receiver. It was designed to have three bolts on each side but due to production tolerances two bolts on one side and one on the other didn’t fit so they just left them off and it only had three total. It only took about 15 minutes with a rat tail file to fix it but I was totally honked off. I called the dealership manager and he called me a liar. I called the hitch manufacturer and they were very supportive said it happens all the time. They offered to send me the proper grade missing bolts. It’s not just Thor!
Old 10-08-2023, 01:12 AM   #48

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
Yesterday I was talking to another RVer next to me and he showed me his hitch on his new 2022 Miramar. He was disconnecting his car when he noticed the hitch moved up and down. Inspecting it closer there was 1 bolt on one side and 2 bolts on the other with the nuts ready to fall off. No lock washers either. Ready for a disaster, he was so lucky.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:52 PM   #49

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Charles T Flood shared his first post.
2 hrs
We have 2016 outlaw towing a Jeep, just had our frame rip and hitch drag on ground,very dangerous, please check where your trailer hitch attaches to frame. Talked to thor,and Transportation safety office, thor will not respond, Not looking for them to do anything but make sure they get the word out. NOT HAPPY WITH THOR!!!!

Attachment 15103

Attachment 15104

Attachment 15105

Looks like some rust could have been involved or defective material. Does not look like a weld let go.
This is NOT a Thor only problem. I had the same thing happen on my 1996 Tiffin Allegro on a Chevy P30 Chassis. the problem was caused by a custom hitch extension I had built to allow me to carry four bikes and still tow my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The extension added about 18" in line with the original receiver and the tow bar was level. Apparently, the extra weight of the bikes, bike rack, and extension plus the leverage given by the 18" of extension was enough to compromise the extended frame on the chassis. With the same result shown in the photos of the posters RV. The bikes, rack and extension towbar total was probably about 200# well within the 500# tongue weight the hitch should have been able to handle. I believe part of the problem was that the Frame extensions were not of the same quality steel as the frame which contributed to the failure of the hitch mounting.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote