Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #3999
Steering Fluid Leak

I just bought my Hurricane 34F three weeks ago and I have a power steering fluid leak. The RV dealership said it was a Ford issue and that I would need to take it to a Ford service center for repair. The Ford service guy looked at it and said that the leaking hose, which later I figured out was part # 3A717, seemed to have a bad crimp at the top fitting. That all made sense, but the next thing he said was that the hose had apparently been modified by Thor. I checked with Thor through my RV dealership and they said that was definitely a Ford part. I don't understand this grey area. My plan is to go to a different Ford service center and try again.

Has anyone ran into an issue like this before?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Our 2015 ACE had a power steering leak and Ford found the problem to be a bad power steering pump. Fixed at no charge which was good a $1200 part. Jim.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #3

THOR #3999
Wow! I'm glad they covered the cost for you. The hose I need costs $58. Hopefully that's all I need. Should be covered by the warranty anyway.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild4racing View Post
I just bought my Hurricane 34F three weeks ago and I have a power steering fluid leak. The RV dealership said it was a Ford issue and that I would need to take it to a Ford service center for repair. The Ford service guy looked at it and said that the leaking hose, which later I figured out was part # 3A717, seemed to have a bad crimp at the top fitting. That all made sense, but the next thing he said was that the hose had apparently been modified by Thor. I checked with Thor through my RV dealership and they said that was definitely a Ford part. I don't understand this grey area. My plan is to go to a different Ford service center and try again.

Has anyone ran into an issue like this before?

Thanks!
For some, not all, Ford dealers, that seems to be a standard answer. "It's their fault". Others have fixed Thor issues and did not charge me. Power steering is obviously part of the chassis and there should be no reason that Thor should have touched it. But... you never know!
Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #5

THOR #3999
Agreed. I feel like the Ford service tech just didn't want to deal with it after taking a look. I'm hoping the next Ford location will be more helpful.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #10562
I have a Thor Gemini 2017... just sprung a power steering leak without warning... looks like it came from a reservoir connection. Any one experienced this yet? Doe it take general Tranny fluid?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I would try another Ford dealer, one that works on medium duty trucks.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdriver View Post
I have a Thor Gemini 2017... just sprung a power steering leak without warning... looks like it came from a reservoir connection. Any one experienced this yet? Doe it take general Tranny fluid?
It’s a Ford engine and transmission. The correct oil and fluids should be in your Ford manual that came with the RV. It should be a Ford problem to fix.