Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2017, 04:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6238
Ace 30.1 2017 bunk retraction problem

I've got a new ace 30.1 with electric motor driving bunk up and down. This unit has magnets holding the bed up to the roof. The 2 pistons that drive both sides are out of sync so that my right side is bound up. I called tech support and they told me to get it serviced and could not offer me a way to reset the bunk to level. Wife whacked her head on low bunk twice now- so I'm in deep &$$@@ until I get it fixed. On the road near Austin. Any ideas as to how to release the pistons on each side and reset the motors?

Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765

This is a YouTube on syncing the Swintec slide system

In my Axis the slide controller is inside the left side of the cabinet above the sink behind a false wall.

If it is totally bound that one probably won't help. But there are several on Youtube on how the reset the system using the controller or how to detach the motors and push it up.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 AM   #3

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765

This is one on how to manually override the system. There are also several others if you search YouTube.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I am just taking a stab in the dark, but what if you were to disconnect not only the coach battery but the house batteries. I think the magnets are driven by power. Again just a stab in the dark. Let us know the fix.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

Model: Ace 29.4
State: North Carolina
THOR #5890
I had the same problem with my 2017 Ace 29.4. Could not figure out how to fix, so ended up taking to dealer for repair. They had to replace the overhead bunk pistons and motors.

Garry
Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6238
I'll try the complete power shut down once the wife gets up. Thanks
Old 08-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #20216
Overhead Bunk Actuators dissected

Hello fellow Thor Friends. Just wanted to update this thread as I have been searching endlessly to find a solution to our drooping overhead bed.

Spent several hours searching for a controller, measuring actuator lengths, Pushing and holding the bed button up and down and scratching my head.

Here’s some facts on our 2017 ACE 30.1.

There’s no controller! The actuators have two micro switches internally that stop at extension and retraction. There is no adjustment.

My particular situation is the actuators are retracting and extending as they should. Exactly 6 inches. The bed still does not retract enough for the magnets in the ceiling to catch. (Who designed this?)

I am still trying to figure out a solution to “shift” the actuators in by 1/4 inch. Will post my progress here.

Just wanted to let those searching for answers the fact that there is no Controller hiding anywhere in the coach.

More to come.
-Scott
Old 08-26-2020, 02:03 AM   #8

THOR #20216
Fixed that darn Bunk

I finally fixed that droopy bunk. Took some brain wattage. See pix. Basically I disconnected the actuators at the bed frame with them fully extended. Rotated the actuator shaft 90 degrees and re drilled the mounting holes. Bam it retracts enough to be held up by those cheesy magnets. Why or how the bed frame geometry changed is still a mystery. Also why is there no mention of the upper bed electrical system or actuators or operation in the freaking manual? Sigh. Anyway hope this helps someone out there. Now to fix my leaking fresh water tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A701DC3B-BA48-4E00-91C3-F8B73FA99D55.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	25777   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECC46DBA-0366-4608-86F3-156C731D7A5E.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	25778  

Old 10-10-2020, 11:07 PM   #9

State: Tennessee
THOR #15004
overhead bunkbed

I have a 2018 ace 30.4 the overhead bunk makes a lot of noise when trying to raise and I have to help it sounds like motor shot after 10 uses anybody got a heavyduty motor
Old 10-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #10

THOR #20216
Replacement motor

I think this is your only option.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Positioning-Devices-Actuator-0336395/dp/B07JFHG4VV

I’d stock up on them.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
My 30.2 has the same issue. It lifts the bunk to within an inch of the magnets so I just push it up the last inch manually. There are lots bigger issues I have like why does my grass grow so fast??[emoji16]
Old 10-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #12

THOR #20216
Grass master

Yeah we all know the bunk is supposed to get close to the magnets, then you push it up. Duh.

The issue was it wouldn’t stay attached. So we all actually put effort into finding out why and how to fix. And post to help others.

We didn’t just post dumb ass remarks here on the forum. Enjoy morning your lame yard.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #18516
same issue with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwav8tr View Post
Hello fellow Thor Friends. Just wanted to update this thread as I have been searching endlessly to find a solution to our drooping overhead bed.

Spent several hours searching for a controller, measuring actuator lengths, Pushing and holding the bed button up and down and scratching my head.

Here’s some facts on our 2017 ACE 30.1.

There’s no controller! The actuators have two micro switches internally that stop at extension and retraction. There is no adjustment.

My particular situation is the actuators are retracting and extending as they should. Exactly 6 inches. The bed still does not retract enough for the magnets in the ceiling to catch. (Who designed this?)

I am still trying to figure out a solution to “shift” the actuators in by 1/4 inch. Will post my progress here.

Just wanted to let those searching for answers the fact that there is no Controller hiding anywhere in the coach.

More to come.
-Scott
Thanks for this info it really confirmed my suspicions. Thanks for the actuator info on amazon. Your info was welcomed. Thanks
Old 03-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I've been following this thread but this is my first post in it. I have the same problem with my ACE 27.2. The bunk bed will not stay attached to the magnets.

One thing that I found that helped me was. I pulled the mattress from the bunk and noticed several of the screws on the hinge that holds the two bed halves together were loose on each end. I had to use match sticks in several of the screw holes to get the screws to tighten properly.
Once I did that, the bed raises a lot closer to the magnets and helps it stay attached to the magnets.

Tags
30.1 bunk, bunk activator problem, overhead bunk bed trouble