Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Can zero maintainance batteries be used as house batteries

Doc here with an open question to all.

I just heard that my RV is ready to be picked up. After 4 weeks the transmission cable issue is fixed, the Safety Recall on the heater/ac is fixed BUT (and I quote):
"I wanted to let you know we got your Furnace board replaced, and I went and checked the batteries again. They were dead, I had charged them fully when they came back from Ford and after two days were down. Your converter is working properly, however the batteries are testing bad. These batteries carry their own Warranty through Harris Battery (the battery manufacturer). I can give you there contact info and they will deal with you directly."

My question is can the batteries under the steps in the Vegas 24.1 be replaced with ZERO MAINTAINANCE Batteries?

Also, how much of a hassle are battery warranty issues??

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Doc

There is another thread on the Forum where someone has problems getting Harris to honor the battery warranty. If I remember correctly they were told that Harris quit selling batteries to Thor because Thor was wiring them incorrectly, specifically when it came to wiring in an Inverter.

You might want to give Harris a call.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
My 2 cents....

Since your RV is so new, I would first determine what caused the batteries to fail so soon -- assuming that's correct. I would personally hate to invest in new (and expensive) maintenance free batteries to later find something was not working right.

AGM batteries have been used successfully in RVs, but require different charging. I'd check to make sure your converter can be set to optimize AGM batteries (assuming that's what you mean by maintenance free).
Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

THOR #2142
I called Harris Batteries, she told me yes to fill out the Warranty paperwork but that the claim would be denied as it is a Thor problem because Thor is not using the correct charging equipment. However, she would attach another form to the denied application with instructions on how to fill it out and send it to Thor for review.

Okay, even if they quit selling them Thor is still using them! Looks like another series of emails, phone calls and headaches.

What a run a round!

Old 10-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Did Harris mention what exactly makes the Thor charging equipment incorrect?

If Harris happen to be correct, the charger may shorten life of new batteries also.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Not sure. You'll have to search the threads to find the discussion. The way I read the thread Harris was looking for anything to deny warranty coverage for bad batteries.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

THOR #2142
I believe Harris said the converter.

I know the CW staff fully recharged the batteries and when I talked with the service manager she said the Converter was working properly (I did not even ask) but as soon as the charger/generator was turned off the batteries starting dropping. So, to those with more electrical expertize I yield the floor.

I will be sure to try and have each side spell out what they are saying/blaming on this situation.

Doc

Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Here is the link to the Thread where Harris denied warranty coverage due to an Inverter.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ixed-1770.html
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #9

THOR #2142
Dave thanks.

I found several threads. It appears that Harris Battery dislikes the way their batteries are used by Thor Industires to such an extent they just deny warranty coverage. But Thor continues to build with the Harris batteries (that would be need to know information at the time of purchase).

I purchased all kinds of warranties when I got my RV; but what good is a warranty if the company that warranty's the product can turn around and deny warranty coverage?

THis all happend at 4:45PM today so no one was available at Thor once I talked with CW of Statesville and found out I had to call Harris Battery to find out that they will deny the claim as soon as I send it in, but will return it to me with another form to fill out and then send to Thor. I will start calling in the morning and all day Monday.

For those who have been in this rat race before - anyone have good phone numbers for someone up the food chain in Camping World Corporation, Thor Industires and/or Harris Batteries? I have a number for Thor, but just the Warranty Section (left message).

Doc

Old 10-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Dave thanks.

I found several threads. It appears that Harris Battery dislikes the way their batteries are used by Thor Industires to such an extent they just deny warranty coverage. But Thor continues to build with the Harris batteries (that would be need to know information at the time of purchase).

I purchased all kinds of warranties when I got my RV; but what good is a warranty if the company that warranty's the product can turn around and deny warranty coverage?

THis all happend at 4:45PM today so no one was available at Thor once I talked with CW of Statesville and found out I had to call Harris Battery to find out that they will deny the claim as soon as I send it in, but will return it to me with another form to fill out and then send to Thor. I will start calling in the morning and all day Monday.

For those who have been in this rat race before - anyone have good phone numbers for someone up the food chain in Camping World Corporation, Thor Industires and/or Harris Batteries? I have a number for Thor, but just the Warranty Section (left message).

Doc
Doc,

Did you by any chance ask the Harris rep what specific equipment on your coach is causing the problem?

It is aggravating when someone can fire a shot gun blast like that when they probably can't tell you what model converter is installed on your coach.

I'm afraid I would have entered A**hole mode and started asking for specifics. It sounds like maybe a Magnuson Moss complaint needs to be filed with the FTC.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-17-2015, 12:57 AM   #11

THOR #2142
Dave,

I went back to my Component Serial Numbers for what is on my RV. I have a WFCO-8900 Converter. I have written to the company and asked what is the problem with Harris Batteries and their Converter. Then I emailed Harris Batteries and asked what was the problem with their Batteries and the WFCO-8900 COnverter.

If Harris Batteries do not work well with the WFCO 8900 series Converters (to the point that Harris Batteries automatically rejects the warranty claims) then why does THor keep using them?

With the bottom line being, why am I expected to suck it up, smile when I get stuck holding the bag when it quits working?

Doc

Old 10-17-2015, 02:16 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Was your chassis battery fine and just the house battery discharged or was both batteries discharged? (don't want to derail the conversation but I am curious)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:52 AM   #13

THOR #2142
Jamie,

So far no troubles with the chassis battery. While the unit was at the Ford Dealer the house batteries were disconnected while they worked on the unit. When it got back to CW in Statesville the house batteries were dead. They charged them overnight but they went dead the next day. That is when they checked the Converter (Okay) and noticed that the batteries were dropping voltage as they watched once the genarator was turned off.

Their diagnosis: Bad batteries. Now the chase begins, what a rat race!

Doc

Old 10-17-2015, 03:23 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have been involved with similar issue, and have PM DOC on this, but for the sake of common info this is what Harris told me.. "We have stopped selling to Thor because the dealers do not handle the batteries, ie, charge them consistently, and we know there is an issue with the on board charger, it is not strong enough to charge and maintain the lights, etc while on shore power, we will issue you a reject and then take it up with Thor" Case in point: my dealer keeps all the rigs hooked to shore power, so with little usage of onboard 12v systems why did these batteries die? MY take: we HAD A BAD RUN OF BATTERIES AND ARE F?kNG YOU ALL. After spending to much money and time trying to get warranty from CW, a dealer I did not buy the rig from I went to WalMart and got new batteries. Problem solved. $200 Not quite priceless...$350 paid to CW to fix the problem? Ouch, never again. trust me, it is cheaper to just go buy new batteries and send the bill to Thor and bug them if your unit is less then a year old. Why? If your batteries test bad that test us not covered under warranty and will cost you $65-$100! Get the print out of the battery test, and Walmart does those for free... I would add most rigs can take 2 house battery so add the extra if you do any National Park /dry camping Of course you that have researched the web now know to demand new batteries before you take delivery of your new motorhome! And make them have it aligned also! my loss, your gain...
Old 10-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
So far no troubles with the chassis battery.
That's good; replacing that one is a bit more involved than opening up a step.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #16

THOR #2142
No kidding. I looked in there and decided to added one of those water systems to that battery.

If/when the chassis batery goes I believe I will replace it with a Zero Maintanance battery...that or find a shop that employs elfs!

Any recommendation for the spec's for the replacement house batteries? Looks like Petef has been thru this meat grinder before. I will be heading to WalMart later today after I pick up my RV.

Doc

Old 10-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
All

Here is a copy of the Harris warranty.

Looks like section A bullet 3 could be used to void the warranty of all RVs sitting on dealer lots for any time at all. All they have to do is claim deep discharge from parasitic load.

Harris Battery Warranty.pdf
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #18

THOR #2142
Wow,

How can an owner prove that something did not happen before they became the owner? Harris Battery has a great lawyer writing the Warranties.

Doc

Old 10-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Here is the kicker

Were you provided with a separate warranty statement for the batteries at the time of purchase?

If not, then the provisions of the Thor 12/12 warranty should apply and Thor should replace defective batteries. The only batteries mentioned in Thor's warranty as being excluded from coverage are the chassis battery. Thor's warranty also states that components covered by other warranties will have the warranty info included in the packet inside the coach.

I don't know about you but I didn't get a house battery warranty included in a packet inside the coach so Thor's coverage applies as coach batteries are not excluded.

I believe in a situation like this I'd be showing up in a dealers showroom demanding some answers from the sales manager as to why they were not up front as to the warranty coverage of the motorhome and asking why their service department is refusing warranty repairs on a covered component. For my dealer I would time that conversation to occur at around noon or 1:00 PM on a Saturday.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #20

THOR #2142
Dave,

That is good stuff. I believe I will use it in my argument.

Thanks