Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 AM   #1
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Battery Drain

I went to pick up my RV Today after two weeks in storage and the coach batteries are dead. I had it the switch in the store position. I’m sure this has been discussed before but I am trying to figure out what the parasitic draw is. My Vegas never had this problem while in storage.

Thanks

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Grrrrrrrr! Can't diagnose your problem, but would suggest you install a cut off switch on your coach batteries. You won't know the culprit, but that might solve your problem and save you from a lot of trouble.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #5584
This, absolutely. After burning up a set of coach batteries by SOMETHING drawing them down, I installed a disconnect switch. Now, every time I open the switch, I hear a relay disconnect! Something was drawing a lot of power.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #4
Kev

THOR #3918
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. That was the way I was leaning. Now for a stupid question do I need two disconnect switches since I have two batteries? Is there one you recommend?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I put a knife disconnect switch on the negative battery post and like Hikes in Rain I use it every time I store the coach. It’s a 100% mechanical disconnect. Simple and bullet proof. You only need one even if you have two coach batteries. Two if you also want to disconnect your chassis battery. I don’t.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Hey, no stupid questions! You only need one disconnect. There's only one positive connection to the coach from the two batteries and only one negative from the two batteries to the ground. The disconnect goes on the negative where it goes to ground. Here's a vid:
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #7

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #5584
Mine's not wired that way. I put my switch on what looked like the grounding cable (negative to the chassis). Still had power. Hmm.....

Just for giggles, moved it to the other battery negative post. Still had power. Hmm...again.

Got another switch, one on each battery. Opened both, heard the relay click, no power.

My rig has has positive cables coming off each battery, and negatives off the inboard one, heading off into the coach. I'm not smart enough to trace them all down, but it seems each battery is wired to power different "stuff", rather than the two batteries wired in parallel. Came from the dealer this way.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:25 AM   #8
Kev

THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I put a knife disconnect switch on the negative battery post and like Hikes in Rain I use it every time I store the coach. It’s a 100% mechanical disconnect. Simple and bullet proof. You only need one even if you have two coach batteries. Two if you also want to disconnect your chassis battery. I don’t.
Like you Pete the chassis battery is no problem. It’s the coach batteries that seem to go dead.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:11 AM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #4631
Vegas radio/camera system was my drainer if I had CD loaded and somehow even though the unit seemed turned off before storage, somehow radio pulling power.
While unit new on dealers lot the battery was dead and when charged immediately the radio blared, so it was left on inadvertantly. Just a clue from my experience.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #10

Model: Outlaw
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I went to pick up my RV Today after two weeks in storage and the coach batteries are dead. I had it the switch in the store position. I’m sure this has been discussed before but I am trying to figure out what the parasitic draw is. My Vegas never had this problem while in storage.

Thanks
This seems to be a flaw in design with Thor. The main engine battery will drain completely as well. There is a safety switch that is to stop this from happening which seems to be a weak part in engineering. I had to have this relay replaced. The problem I have found is very few repair places has anyone who has any knowledge to diagnose problems. I have found an experienced mechanic in Florida who has performed numerous repairs on the Thor units.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:32 AM   #11

Model: 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #10667
Battery Drain 2018 Chateau 24f

I have experienced severe battery drain twice now in the 2 weeks I have had the coach. In both cases the Use/Store switch was in the Use position. With everything turned off the battery would drain in two days. If one is dry camping this could be a problem. I installed a current monitor and pulled fuses to find the drain. The propane/smoke detector pulls .1 amps. The audio/video circuit pulls .5 amps. Does anyone know what could be drawing power. The radio is OFF. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Does your coach have auto gen start? If so make sure it is off. The generator will not charge your batteries when in store mode but the AGS will still try to operate. I learned from experience...seems to be my best teacher lately.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
Mine's not wired that way. I put my switch on what looked like the grounding cable (negative to the chassis). Still had power. Hmm.....

Just for giggles, moved it to the other battery negative post. Still had power. Hmm...again.

Got another switch, one on each battery. Opened both, heard the relay click, no power.

My rig has has positive cables coming off each battery, and negatives off the inboard one, heading off into the coach. I'm not smart enough to trace them all down, but it seems each battery is wired to power different "stuff", rather than the two batteries wired in parallel. Came from the dealer this way.
I had the exact same thing going on with mine...
I'm letting the dealership figure out where to put the bayonet switch.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:48 AM   #14

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9512
Circuit breaker

Instead of installing a cutoff switch for each battery, wouldn't it be sufficient to simply push the trip button / circuit breaker on each battery (which makes the little flag pop out)? That should cut the power without having to install another switch?

Am I missing something?

By the way, my rig was in storage for 1 month (no power) and my house batteries are completely dead
Old 10-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
I am having a mysterious draw on my coach batteries....I can put my volt meter on the battery and watch it go from 12.30 to 11.30 in 5 minutes or less. I had put two new agm optima sealed batteries in, two years ago. I wonder if they have gone bad? Camping World installed a new converter last July. Wonder if that has something to do with it?
As long as I am on shore powe everything find.. but forget boondocking till I get this figured out.
Thoughts?
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote