Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #1499
ACE Annual Maintenance - air filter problem

I have several weeks before we go out again so thought I would start on my list of annual maintenance. I decided to start with the engine. Performed all of the visual maintenance and then changed the oil and filter. The final item is the air filter. For the life of me I can't get the top off of the air filter box. No problem unsnapping the three front hooks and loosening the cover. However, there seems to be no way to get the top cover completely off the box in order to switch filters. I need help! Anyone else performed this operations? How?

Thanks.
Jeff

Old 08-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, I own a 2013 ACE 30.1 (Ford V10) and have the same question about changing the air filter. Last week my response from Thor on this tpoic was to talk to Ford since the air filter is part of their chassis. My response to Thor was that changing the air filter is not a problem on a bare chassis......it only becomes a potential space and procedural issue when the motorhome is placed on top of the Ford chassis. No response from Thor so far.

I can release the top of the air filter box and push it back slightly to release the rear of the lid a bit, but the air tube behind the air box (which appears to have the Mass Air Flow sensor attached to it) is very hard to push back/move. I have not tried to remove the dog house or release the air hose clamp behind the air box as yet, in hopes that a simple procedure (that will not break anything especially the MAF sensor) has already been discovered by someone else. Any confirmed procedures for what should be a very easy process? Thanks
Old 08-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
We have the same issue with our 30.2 ACE. We would appreciate any suggestions on this.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Same on the 2015 Hurricane! I gave up as there is only 6 K Miles so far, but will have to address it again soon!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

THOR #2631
air filter maintenance

I have searched many web forums etc and there are many people wondering how to get access to their air filters in a variety of coaches with the newer square style air box (3 clamps on front) and proximity to wiper gear box and motor. I found one post on a Ford truck forum that said you loosen the hose clamp on the air tube (just behind the air box) and release the three front lid clamps, lift the front lid up and push back enough to clear the wiper gear box and motor. I am not sure if the air pipe on the back of the air box will slide inside the air tube to the engine (or the reverse - to allow the lid to move backward toward the engine) when this large hose clamp is loosened. I have concerns about just how far any air pipes will move because of the MAF (mass air flow) sensor location on the side of the air tube behind the air box. I only have 5000 miles on my 2013 ACE 30.1 and a pending trip, so likely the filter is fine and I don't really want to cause a problem prior to our trip. Maybe this will be an end of season checkout/update.

I also pulled the doghouse and the air tube is pretty rigid right from the firewall to the throttle body (and no other connections). There is a large clamp on the air pipe where it connects to the throttle body......but I hope disconnecting this is not required for what should be a simple procedure.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #6

THOR #2631
ACE Maintenance Engine Air Filter

Now that a new travel season is here again, time to determine how to access the engine air filter on our 2013 ACE 30.1 which I left off last Fall without a solution (low mileage coach). Turns out that on this V10 air box there are three rectangular tabs moulded into the bottom half of the air box spaced along the rear edge. The air box lid has three corresponding rectangular cutouts along the rear lid edge that fit over the moulded tabs when re-attaching the air box lid to the air box bottom. Refer to attached pictures showing the tabs and lid holes.

On our coach just release the three clips along the front of the air box and as you lift the front of the lid push back hard to release the three rear edge lid holes from the tabs at which point the air filter can be accessed. The air tube does not easily move but there is just enough room between the air box lid and ACE windshield wiper motor in front to get the job done. Hope this helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Box Lid Rear Holes.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Box Rear Edge 3 Retainers.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	2018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Air Box Parts Breakout.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	2019  
Old 05-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #7

State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
Thank you for this info!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #8

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Jav. Man thanks. Tried it as described. Worked. My blood pressure actually went down.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:33 AM   #9

THOR #2631
Smile

Glad the air box info helped out. Getting the air box lid back on again can be a little challenging too. Just make sure you engage the three tabs along the back fully first before closing up the front and re-latching. This ensures you are fully sealed on the engine intake side of the air filter.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kansas
THOR #6351
This worked for me. Thanks for the schematic.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Pull the doghouse and you can release the hose on the back side of the air box. Fortunately changing the filter is not a frequent service item.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Pull the doghouse and you can release the hose on the back side of the air box. Fortunately changing the filter is not a frequent service item.
Dave No need to release the hose from the air box. Once the rear tabs are free the top can be lifted high enough to remove the old filter and replace with a new one. Only takes a minute the change the filter.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
For some reason owners are having a hard time getting the tabs to release? I’ve had my filter cover off without removing the doghouse a couple of times, not to bad, just offering another way for those who are having problems getting the tabs to release. Tight and awkward spot to work, I understand why some are having a problem.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #14

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
This is great to see. I asked the same question back in May and no replies. I guess I titled wrong and wrong forum stream!!! I had also searched and didn't find this thread.
I am headed to RV today (in storage about 20 miles away) and will check to see if the same procedure works for a Hurricane. Hope so!!! Thx, Dennis.

Tags
ace 30.1, annual maintenance