Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2015, 05:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #3314
ACE radio upgrade

We have a 2014 ACE, 29.2. Our JRV212T radio quit and we need a new replacement upgrade. I would like to get a new one that the 3 cameras will work with.

Any help out there ?
This is my first post.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

We have a 2016 Vegas 24.1, the dash Radio Thor switched to is the Axxera AV614BH (axxeraaudio.com). It handles the three cameras, it also has a lot of bells and whistles...some that were not hooked up by Thor (you can run two Video Outputs from the dash DVD player if you run the necessary RCA cable bundles when you do the instalation). Also there is a mirroring hook up on the back that needs to be run to the front of your dash for easier access (Thor did do that).

Good Luck.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We have a 2014 ACE, 29.2. Our JRV212T radio quit and we need a new replacement upgrade. I would like to get a new one that the 3 cameras will work with.

Any help out there ?
This is my first post.
Dave,

More than likely your ACE is configured the same as my Challenger. The radio only needs to control one camera. The coach uses a camera control, in my case mounted under the top of the dash, which has the 3 camera connections and then one RCA connection to the back of the radio. The camera controller determines which camera is viewed under certain conditions (turn signals, reverse etc...).

You can verify this by removing your radio and looking at the camera connection or looking in the radio owner's manual.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Here is a link to another thread on this forum of another Axis owner who upgraded his 212 radio to a Jensen 215. He and several others are happy with the 215 which includes navigation! Since my 212 just quit I am thinking of doing the same thing, espceially since it is a fairly simple R&R - I hope!http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...rade-1105.html
Good luck!
Old 11-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Dave,

More than likely your ACE is configured the same as my Challenger. The radio only needs to control one camera. The coach uses a camera control, in my case mounted under the top of the dash, which has the 3 camera connections and then one RCA connection to the back of the radio. The camera controller determines which camera is viewed under certain conditions (turn signals, reverse etc...).

You can verify this by removing your radio and looking at the camera connection or looking in the radio owner's manual.
My ACE 30.2 is the same as dstankov. I can put in any camera ready head unit. I'm switching to a Pioneer. I've had great luck with those and have installed them in a number of cars. I'm not a fan of the Jensens.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
My ACE 30.2 is the same as dstankov. I can put in any camera ready head unit. I'm switching to a Pioneer. I've had great luck with those and have installed them in a number of cars. I'm not a fan of the Jensens.
Will you be able to manually select a desired camera images with the Pioneer? Or will you be limited to the turn signal/reverse view auto-selection?
Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Interesting thing happened on my way to the forum:

I just finished mounting a second fire extinguisher in my coach in preparation for a trip in a week and a half and while doing so I had my Axxerra on and was listening to Sirius when all of a sudden the radio lost all power and will not power up. I guess after lunch I'll be removing the top of the dash to do some troubleshooting. This radio has been intermittently loosing power since new so it may have decided to give up the ghost.

Earlier today I put an Alpine INE-W957HD on the Christmas wish list. Maybe the Axxerra caught wind of its future and said "up yours Jack"
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Utah
THOR #2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Will you be able to manually select a desired camera images with the Pioneer? Or will you be limited to the turn signal/reverse view auto-selection?
I'm not sure. I have no need to manually switch to see my side cameras so it's not a concern for me. I'm sure if you wire it right you could. They do have multiple inputs on all the pioneers. On my truck I had before I bought my motor home I put a camera on the tail gate and another one at the front of the bed to use when I hooked up to my gooseneck. On my wife's SUV I put a tv/DVD player in the back and ran wires so that you can play the disk in the back or on the head unit and get picture and sound either way.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #9

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I just completed the switch to the 215N, very happy! Very easy to do, get the new harness with the adapter. Plug and play.

Ide rather stick with a known entity Jensen vs a brand new brand.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #971
I had that same radio that stopped work in my 2013 ace remove the radio from the dash using the special extraction loops remover the power plug on the back and wait 10 min plug the radio back in and see if it works

Tags
ace 29.2, radioupgrade