Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Texas
THOR #12722
Flat spots on tires on my New 2018 ACE 27.2

Picked up my new RV and have been on 2 short trips. (900 miles) There is a vibration in the steering wheel and you can fill it thru out the coach. I took it to Ford thinking that there was something wrong with the suspension. I was told that the wheels have flat spots and if it doesn't work it out thru some more mileage that I will need to buy new tires. I sent this information to the dealer where I bought it and copied Thor. Has anybody else ran into this issue? Will this damage anything? Do I have any recourse on this? We are planning on going to New Mexico next month, but I'm worried about damaging the coach or a tire coming apart.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
are they raidal tires? i herd they can develop flat spots. my dad had an old 70's truck with a camper on it with raidal and they got flat spots all the time. they went away within 20-30 miles.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

THOR #12722
They are radials. I have put 900 miles on them since we bought it on 8/11/18. No difference. The service manager at Ford said if it doesn't quit after another 1000 miles or so I need to think about buying new tires. I'm waiting to here back from the dealer to see what their reply will be. It makes no sense to me that I have to buy new tires for a brand new RV. I'm new to RV world but asking about stock rotation never occurred to me.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Your tires have a warranty against defects. You should not have to pay to replace defective tires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:34 AM   #5

THOR #12722
I did purchase a warranty on the tires. I will call them Monday. Thanks
Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The manufacturer of the tires provides the warranty. You don't need to buy a warranty except for road hazards.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #7

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieb View Post
Picked up my new RV and have been on 2 short trips. (900 miles) There is a vibration in the steering wheel and you can fill it thru out the coach. I took it to Ford thinking that there was something wrong with the suspension. I was told that the wheels have flat spots and if it doesn't work it out thru some more mileage that I will need to buy new tires. I sent this information to the dealer where I bought it and copied Thor. Has anybody else ran into this issue? Will this damage anything? Do I have any recourse on this? We are planning on going to New Mexico next month, but I'm worried about damaging the coach or a tire coming apart.
We purchased a 2018 ACE. In Aug of 2017. When we did the test drive, there was a shake in the front end with a thump feeling as well in the steering wheel.
I questioned this and was told they would go over it and correct what ever it was once we sign the papers.

I said you need to correct this before I make my next test drive and then I will sign. CW sent it to a big truck tire shop and they said both front tires were out of round. It had 900 miles on it for delivery from the Thor factory. CW paid to have new tires installed. Took care of the problem. However, we have developed a slight shimmy again and NO ONE wants to lay claim to the issue. At this point I'm not sure if it's from or rear tires if even that. My best guess is a tire is out of round or tossed a weight. Something for me to deal with soon.
Good luck with your issue.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
We had a similar issue when we bought our 2016 Ace 30.1. Ours had a terrible shimmy at 60-65 mph. I thought the rig was going to shake itself to pieces. Camping World in Berkley,MA tried to claim the tires were our responsibility. Yeah, I don't think so. After a few calls were made to Thor corporate, Camping World/Berkley did spring for new tires and a front end alignment.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 AM   #9

THOR #12722
Thanks for the info from everybody. I hope the dealer steps up and takes care of the issue. If I don't hear something by Monday I'm going to start making phone calls. I don't want to say anything negative about the dealer or Thor until I give them the opportunity to correct my issue.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

THOR #12722
Update, Called Thor yesterday and they said someone from the dealer will contact me. Still waiting....
Old 09-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #11

THOR #12722
Angry Tire update

Went 3 days without a call back from Thor or MHS. Called MHS and they said they couldn't do anything until Thor responds. Called Thor and during the second call after they told us they would handle it reverse their stance and said it wasn't there issue. Went and had a set down meeting with MHS with the salesman that sold us the coach. He went and talked to his boss. They agreed to change out the front tires only and I would have to make another appointment to address the other issues...At least it's a start.

I bought a new RV instead of a used one so I wouldn't have to fight these people when I had a problem..... I'm new to the RV world and I'm learning on who not to deal with in the future...