Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Adding House Batteries

Does anyone know if I can add 2 batteries to my Miramar or should I replace and buy 4. I can't find markings on the existing batteries so I'm not sure of what to match them with. My RV is a 2016 so the existing batteries are still in good shape. I just need more battery life before kicking in the generator when boon docking.
Thank you.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:58 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
They are cheap Harris batteries. I would not mix battery types. My recommendation is to replace them with 2 or 4 six volt Trojan 105 or 125 batteries. Better amp hours and reliability.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Techno is spot on. Just for the heck of it, take a 2 battery flashlight with 2 bad batteries. Add 1 new battery and guess what happens. So you can add 2 additional batteries and then in couple of months add 4 new ones as the new batteries get fried.

Similar to Techno, we have some experience with boondocking and living on house batteries. With a residential fridge, a sat dish and TVs running on batteries at night - you just gotta have a good health bank of batteries.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
You guys both confirm my thinking. The 2 batteries I have are still in good shape so I hate to get rid of them so soon but I don't feel comfortable adding to new batteries. I'll probably wait until they go bad or at least get weaker and then by 4 new ones.
Thank You.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
I was reading the manual for the inverter and it mentions using two banks of batteries with a switch. This would be an option if you had two other deep cell batteries kicking around like I do. You could use one bank of batteries until it got down to around 12 volts them switch over to the other bank of batteries. I bet you would have to recharge them separate. I saw a 4 way switch at autozone in the marine section that might work. This would be cheaper than buying 4 new batteries. Has anyone seen this done?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: California
THOR #5906
In our challenger replacing the stock batteries was the first thing we did. If you do a lot of dry camping
Like we do having good batteries is key. Replaced the stock batteries with 4 lifeline 6ct batteries and 320 watt solar system. Works great knowing I have a fridge that relies on battery only power
Old 04-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Does anyone know if I can add 2 batteries to my Miramar or should I replace and buy 4. I can't find markings on the existing batteries so I'm not sure of what to match them with. My RV is a 2016 so the existing batteries are still in good shape. I just need more battery life before kicking in the generator when boon docking.
Thank you.
Everyone is spot on with their advice! If you are going to add two more batteries you should ditch the originals and put in four matched batteries, you'll have longer life and better service. Only thing I would add is use deep cycle marine batteries since they are made for the task.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:55 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
As already said, do not mix battery types. Depending on where you have to mount them, to avoid maintenance you could consider AGM batteries. They will cost more initially, but you will probably get an additional year out of them, then standard flooded cell batteries. Just a thought, I have done ok with hi capacity, deep cycle batteries, and just was careful to check water in them every couple of months or so. Golf cart shops sometimes have some good deals on those deep cycle batteries, if you have one nearby.