Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Texas
Posts: 19
THOR #6099
advice on broken door lock

I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J. While out on a ranch over the weekend my door would not open. It was not locked, as I had the key and could turn the lock. The handle would open, but it turns out the tumbler inside did not move. Apparently after I shut the door like normal, something broke on the inside not letting the tumbler engage when I used the handle.

My phone, and access to the warranty repair were locked inside the motorhome. I managed to bend the door trim out to get a screw driver in to pry the tumbler back. I could not get enough of the tumbler to pass the bracket to let the door open. I then drilled the lock out, but that didnt work either.

I ended up prying the door trim back further and drilling out the bracket that blocked the tumbler from releasing the door, subsequently damaging the door pretty bad. After opening the door, I realized even if I were to have gotten in through a window, I would not have been able to get to the stuck tumbler to open the door.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem, and if so, what was the outcome? Thanks for your help.
__________________

__________________
hpycmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,626
THOR #5196
They break, fortunately not often! If you have the brand and model number you can get one overnighted from an RV supplier.
__________________

__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
Posts: 145
THOR #3520
I had the same failure except I was inside and could not get outside where my tools were in the belly. A phone call brought help and between us we got the lock disassembled and me out. The back end of the sliding latch piece had broken off so nothing short of getting the inside plate off would help. Once I had access to the guts i could catch the sliding broken piece and pull it back.
A total lock replacement was the only solution. Eighty miles or so in the toad to a place that had a lock similar enough I could make it work. Mine was 12 years old. I find it scary that you had an almost new one fail. Almost scared enough to want one of those driver side doors as an escape route. That emergency exit window is not an attractive option for an overweight 75 year old with no ladder out there.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
__________________
CasaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 104
THOR #4816
I had exactly the same problem with door lock in my 2015 Vegas 24.1. Just before taking drastic/damaging action, we checked the windows one last time and found we could open the driver's side window. Even from the inside, it took disassembling the lock and some manipulation to get the door open.

By-the-way, through Thor the replacement lock was $198, but found the identical lock online for $98.
__________________
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hudsoner's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
Posts: 248
THOR #5756
The lock breakage seems to be a common thing. Mine broke, but I was outside and had tools available. I drilled the lock out and installed a new one, which is at the brink again. They use plastic/pot cast metal inside, and that stuff gives after a while.

I will try to find a better lock with all steel parts, it might be a little more expensive, but should last (hopefully)
__________________
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 333
THOR #3789
WOW.... same thing just happened to me this past week end. I was able to break in with a pocket knife after about 45 minutes in the dam rain. Dogs where inside this time and barking at me which was getting to me even more. Question is now, what is the fix so it never happens and what new lock is every one getting to avoid this from happening again?
__________________
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE29.3
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 89
THOR #4359
This happened to us this past summer......see below


Well go a phone call today from my DW at work.
As she was packing the rv (to go away this weekend) the lock broke and locked her inside.

She tried to take lock apart but didn't work.
As the last resort she climbed threw the driver window and got out."""i tried not to laugh but it didn't work"""

Well when I got home from work tried to get it unstuck with no success.

So I asked her climb back threw the window. And had her play with the lock uptill we finally got it open.

The main metal plunger for the lock broke.
Called Thor and they will ship a new one out but not till next weekend .
We had to cancel our trip

But the highlight of it all was that my house video cameras caught it all on film so I can watch her go in and out over and over again all weekend

Sorry she told me I am not allowed to post the video.
__________________
2015 ACE 29.3
Mousemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DocP's Avatar
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 34TSB
State: Ohio
Posts: 244
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
This happened to us this past summer......see below


Well go a phone call today from my DW at work.
As she was packing the rv (to go away this weekend) the lock broke and locked her inside.

She tried to take lock apart but didn't work.
As the last resort she climbed threw the driver window and got out."""i tried not to laugh but it didn't work"""

Well when I got home from work tried to get it unstuck with no success.

So I asked her climb back threw the window. And had her play with the lock uptill we finally got it open.

The main metal plunger for the lock broke.
Called Thor and they will ship a new one out but not till next weekend .
We had to cancel our trip

But the highlight of it all was that my house video cameras caught it all on film so I can watch her go in and out over and over again all weekend

Sorry she told me I am not allowed to post the video.
Funny story, thanks for sharing!
__________________
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 14
THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr View Post
I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J. While out on a ranch over the weekend my door would not open. It was not locked, as I had the key and could turn the lock. The handle would open, but it turns out the tumbler inside did not move. Apparently after I shut the door like normal, something broke on the inside not letting the tumbler engage when I used the handle.

My phone, and access to the warranty repair were locked inside the motorhome. I managed to bend the door trim out to get a screw driver in to pry the tumbler back. I could not get enough of the tumbler to pass the bracket to let the door open. I then drilled the lock out, but that didnt work either.

I ended up prying the door trim back further and drilling out the bracket that blocked the tumbler from releasing the door, subsequently damaging the door pretty bad. After opening the door, I realized even if I were to have gotten in through a window, I would not have been able to get to the stuck tumbler to open the door.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem, and if so, what was the outcome? Thanks for your help.
If your lock is made by TriMark, the plunger is cheap zinc die cast. I contacted them directly and ordered the special higher priced unit with steel plunger.

I also cut a slit in door frame so I could slip a flat tool and depress plunger if ever happens again. When it happened first time, had to break into MH, then drill out door lock to get door open.
__________________
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 14
THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr View Post
I have a 2016 Hurricane 34J. While out on a ranch over the weekend my door would not open. It was not locked, as I had the key and could turn the lock. The handle would open, but it turns out the tumbler inside did not move. Apparently after I shut the door like normal, something broke on the inside not letting the tumbler engage when I used the handle.

My phone, and access to the warranty repair were locked inside the motorhome. I managed to bend the door trim out to get a screw driver in to pry the tumbler back. I could not get enough of the tumbler to pass the bracket to let the door open. I then drilled the lock out, but that didnt work either.

I ended up prying the door trim back further and drilling out the bracket that blocked the tumbler from releasing the door, subsequently damaging the door pretty bad. After opening the door, I realized even if I were to have gotten in through a window, I would not have been able to get to the stuck tumbler to open the door.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem, and if so, what was the outcome? Thanks for your help.
Notice optional steel plungerˇClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170308-110342.png
Views:	500
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	4180Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170308-110331.png
Views:	461
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	4181
__________________
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
Posts: 901
THOR #2271
I am not sure if this is the reason. One time I parked on a soft gravel spot. Even though I used my levelers with plastic blocks under them, one side sunk. It actually bent the plastic block. The outcome was that my door would not close. I actually tied it shut that night. In the morning, I discovered the bent plastic. The frame had torqued. This would put tremendous pressure on the door lock. That may be the cause of the lock breaking.

Since I changed to heavy duty Utility Blocks, I haven't had the issue.
__________________
Added: HWH Kick-Down Leveler; RoadMaster Anti-sway bars; Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser; Accede Backup Sensor Kit; cylinder locks (w/one combo lock); custom sink cover; Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX front radio; Pioneer MVH-X5560BT rear radio; Oxygenics Shower head; ScanGuage II; Blue Ox Tow Bar w/RVi Brake 2; Winegard Rayzar Automatic TV antenna; Trimark Steel door lock; Dometic 310 toilet; whatever is next.
gbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40KQ
State: Florida
Posts: 12
THOR #2912
Can these all metal plungers be purchased separately from an entirely new lock. Seems like it maybe a prudent thing to replace proactively if possible.
__________________
Harry
2015 Tuscany 40KQ
2013 Honda CRV
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 14
THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Can these all metal plungers be purchased separately from an entirely new lock. Seems like it maybe a prudent thing to replace proactively if possible.
I bought my first replacement with std plungers, from rvpartscenter.com. $60. I ordered steel plunger version from trimark....$100+
__________________
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,176
THOR #3483
Door Latch

We recently had the TriMark door latch begin to bind up to the point where we were almost stuck inside the coach. I tightened screws, sprayed in some Teflon, etc., nothing seemed to help. Rather than have a very bad situation either being locked in or out, I bit the bullet and took the coach to my local RV repair center. The TriMark was replaced with a Bauer brand which was configured a little differently. Seems like it is working the right way now.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
Posts: 27
THOR #1236
I've replaced my Citation Tri Mark door locks twice in the last two years for the same problem. Fortunately my coach is a class C so we can use the chassis doors when this happens. My last set of Tri Mark locks were the new and improved version and they failed within two months. As usual I notified Thor of the problem even though I am out of warranty with the idea that Thor owners have enough to worry about without having to worry about something as basic as a door lock malfunctioning. As usual, crickets.

I now carry a spare lock set and keep a screwdriver handy and am glad to have other emergency door options.
__________________
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 14
THOR #6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
I've replaced my Citation Tri Mark door locks twice in the last two years for the same problem. Fortunately my coach is a class C so we can use the chassis doors when this happens. My last set of Tri Mark locks were the new and improved version and they failed within two months. As usual I notified Thor of the problem even though I am out of warranty with the idea that Thor owners have enough to worry about without having to worry about something as basic as a door lock malfunctioning. As usual, crickets.

I now carry a spare lock set and keep a screwdriver handy and am glad to have other emergency door options.
Not sure about new improved version, but the steel plunger must be specified when ordering.
__________________
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
Posts: 38
THOR #2027
Door latch

Exact same thing happened to my ACE. I exited and closed the door. I didn’t lock it.
The next day it wouldn’t open. Couldn’t figure why. Luckily, I left window unlocked. I crawled through. The door wouldn’t open from the inside either. I then, from the inside, took apart the whole lock out of the door. It took about 30 minutes or more bc of having to crawl in and out of RV to get tools.
Anyway, once the entire lock was removed, the door opened. Upon inspection, i could find nothing broken. But, I wasn’t taking any chances.
I bought a whole new lock, about $100, and installed it. We have had no problems since.
But, had we been on the road, this could have been bad.

Neil
__________________
Onroadagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Axis 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 2,179
THOR #1765
The Trimark number is different for the new lock. It is a Trimark 60-1650 rather than a 60-650. However, I can not find any number on the lock itself. So you are kind of at the mercy of the company that sends it to you. If you look at the plunger you can tell the difference if you have both of them side by side.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 10,648
THOR #8860
Besides a pile of crap for a door lock: the O.P. also has a tweaked-up door.
Can that be fixed?
Or how much is it to replace?
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Tearstone's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
Posts: 284
THOR #9721
This thread has be sort of freaked out. I would like to be proactive about this. Since my rig is a 2017, is it possible that I could have a redesigned Trimark lock, if so what is the best way to determine this?
__________________

__________________
Russ Sanderlin
USMC Veteran
2017 Miramar 34.4
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2