Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Washington
THOR #5060
After-market Extended Service Plans

Wen we bought our MH we didn't buy the extended warranty that was offered by the dealer...while we see the need to have an extended service plan, the one they were offering didn't seem like it was a good value.

Anyway, we are now in the market for one...any opinions / experiences with after-market Extended Service Plan?

Thoughts? what have you found to be 'good'? 'bad'? 'ugly'?

kdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
At one time, I had the GoodSam extended warranty on a Class C MH and when the braking system failed, GoodSam covered the failure without any resistance. That was the one and only time I had used the plan. I am of the opinion that as long as the Ford chassis is covered with the three year warranty, I do not need an extended warranty on my coach.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I had a Good Sam's service plan on my last RV... It was over 10 years old when I got it - and they cover up to 15 years. In that case I went with a high deductible ($1000) - and intended it only for a catastrophic failure - which I fortunately never had. (came close to surpassing the deductible only once.)

On new RV (2014) - I got a Cornerstone plan from the dealer covering the coach only (still had factory powertrain warranty.)
In one service visit this year it paid well over $1000 for electronics (radio replacement - the infamous Jensen) and hydraulics (jack replacement). They declined to cover a couple of other minor things - but covered the major items without question.

Now that the factory powertrain warranty is expiring - I was looking to modify my coverage... Cornerstone has a good price - but required an upfront payment for multiple years coverage - and I just didn't want to layout the cash right now.

I just switched to Good Sam's again - which lets me pay monthly - allows adjusting the deductible during the year if desired (payment adjusts of course). They offer deductibles from $100 and up.

Only ones I have had experience with... I'm not one to buy a service plan on everything - but the peace of mind of having it on the RV has been worth it to me. Only downside - unlike the factory warranty - they aren't just going to send you the parts - it does need to go to a service facility - any of your choosing.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote