Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Mississippi
THOR #827
air compressor

Any recommendations for a portable air compressor for tires and blowing out the water lines?

Old 12-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #2

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I use the little PorterCable 1.5 gallon pancake. It's often on sale at HD or Lowe's for under 100 bucks, and it works like a champ.

Randy
Old 12-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
THOR #121
I bought last year a Blue hawk from Lowes for 79.00. In the fifth wheel I have a Kolbalt that I paid about that six years ago. Both of these are the twin tank type.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Do they pump air fast enough to fill your tires without sitting there all day waiting for the last few pounds?
That is the problem I have with mine. I think it's going belong to somebody else pretty soon.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: CF32BL
THOR #121
No Lloyd they take a while to get to 85PSI I am waiting to give one to the kids some day and try another one. But being portable limits the field a lot.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Some years back I bought a campbell hausfeld inflator from Walmart. It was the best, fastest air pumper I've ever owned for the RV. But like everything else, it ran out of it's life span.
I bought another one but it wasn't any good.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I would NOT recommnmed ths one
Amazon.com: Primefit CM00301 125 PSI Home Workshop Air Compressor, 1 Gallon with Regulator and Control Panel and 25-Foot Air Hose: Home Improvement

CFM rate is too low and it takes far too long to fill the tank.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Like Groswald, I also have a Porter Cable 150PSI Air Compressor that I bolted into my rear storage compartment. It is powered by 120VAC, but all I need to do if I have an emergency on the road is to start the generator. But if I just need to routinely fill air, if at home or at a RV park, then AC power will be available.

My compressor takes about 3 minutes to initially fill the tank, but then they can fill a 80psi tire fast enough in my opinion. If you are filling 100PSI tires, then that may take awhile.

Porter Cable makes several different pancakes, and the 135PSI or smaller compressors make take more time to fill tires, but the 150PSI/6 gallon tank model to me is adequate.

As well, in my view, the 12VDC compressors just take too long to fill tires.

I paid around $100 for the compressor when they were on sale at Amazon. I have an older model, and the current 150PSI model looks a bit different.

I have found many uses for the compressor as it is attached to the RV, including filling tires (both RV and bicycle), winterizing the water lines, blowing dirt out of things, and blowing up water toys. In fact, when at the RV park, when other campers hear my compressor start up, I often get a couple of "customers" needing their bicycle tires or beach balls inflated.

When you are blowing out water lines, you want a compressor that has an adjustable regulator (the Porter Cable does). That way, you can turn the pressure down to blow out the water lines. I typically use around 5PSI to blow the lines, which is adequate.

You could probably use up to 30PSI or so as water pressure is often higher than that, but I have found you can use far lower air pressure to blow the lines. That way, you don't risk damaging your plumbing.

If the air compressor does not have a regulator, you have no control over how much air pressure is used. So I would highly recommend an adjustable pressure regulator for any compressor used to blow the water lines.

To bolt in the compressor, I simply put longer bolts through the mounting feet to attach it to the base of the storage compartment.

One thing I had to change though is to go to a quarter-turn air relief valve, as my particular model's stock valve was hard to use when the compressor was bolted down.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
THOR #827
FW28z is that a 3 gallon tank?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
that Porter Cable is probably on the same class as my 3 gallon hot dog compressor i have at home.... that is the way to go if you have room.
My storage location was height limited so i found thge 1 gallon unit i linked to above.....

For 12VDC, i have read that many folks use Masterflow compressors and like them.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Its a 6 gallon tank.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #12

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Arizona
THOR #1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post

[/IMG]
I have the same unit and love it. Takes up little space and does everything I need it to do.