Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
Air Conditioner Leaking inside Coach

Just this morning my front AC started leaking condensation inside my coach. Looking for help troubleshooting this. 2017 Miramar. Thoughts?

RickyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
If you look under the hood, up and to the left, you will see the enclosure for the condenser. At the bottom of the box is a nipple that sticks down, it is the drain for the condenser. Buy some 1/2" ID tubing and attach it to the drain with a hose clamp, run the tubing down about 18" and secure with a zip tie. That should take care of your problem.

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #3

State: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If you look under the hood, up and to the left, you will see the enclosure for the condenser. At the bottom of the box is a nipple that sticks down, it is the drain for the condenser. Buy some 1/2" ID tubing and attach it to the drain with a hose clamp, run the tubing down about 18" and secure with a zip tie. That should take care of your problem.
The leak is from the front roof mount air conditioner. Not the dash. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
RickyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
Pul the cover and look up there will be either three or four bolts that attach the ac to the coach. Theer is a gasket that if the bolts are not tight enough than it will leak inside.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
sorry, don't have an answer but this reminds me.... it happened to us one time while on our recent long trip. A good bit of water spilled onto the floor when I started driving one day. I was planning to open it up to double check
...was it a leaking roof gasket?
....was in a plugged condensate drain up on the roof?
....is something broken/rusted/leaking?
but then it never happened again
and never leaked in any of the many hard rains its seen since.... so i kinda forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

My guess in my case, the thing was sitting in some odd out of level state and the condensation built up somewhere that it normally does not.... one time thing, but still it's about time for me to take off the cowling and clean/inspect... tighten the mounting screws, etc...
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
Check for clogged drain

These units drains plug up and will then drip inside. Go on the roof and look closely at the A/C cover (shroud). About 2/3rd of the way back (from the front of the cover, where front is the edge closest to the front bumper of coach) look down for a tiny drain hole, or nipple. Likely will be black, so hard to spot. Take a pipe cleaner (or any small wire) and stick it through that nipple several inches. Do the same on the opposite side. Hopefully leak gone. Just had to do it on my coach. These leaks are usually clogged drains, loose bolts holding unit down so the seal is not tight, or a bad seal (gasket) between the roof and the A/C unit.
Good luck
Note: While you are on the roof, clear out the drains of your other A/C as well.
ArrrV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
Good morning,

I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany 40ax xte, the front ac has leaked off and on since I took delivery in February this year, the mobile technician replaced the gasket, stopped for a while, then started leaking again, he came out and attempted to fix it again, not sure what he did as a neighbor was here, he stated that he fixed it, but last night it was leaking water from the rear area where the filter is, contacted the technician and he has no idea why it is leaking.
chief90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Georgia
When I had my 5th wheel, the front a/c was a Penguin 13500 and not controlled by the main living area thermostat but had manual controls. If I ran it on max continuously, it would frost up and start dripping on the mattress. Solution was to run it a little less than max so that it cycled more often.

Also, if you are going to tighten bolts, don't get too aggressive with them and tighten them a little at a time going from corner to corner. Doubt that the gasket is your problem though.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
sorry, don't have an answer but this reminds me.... it happened to us one time while on our recent long trip. A good bit of water spilled onto the floor when I started driving one day. I was planning to open it up to double check
...was it a leaking roof gasket?
....was in a plugged condensate drain up on the roof?
....is something broken/rusted/leaking?
but then it never happened again
and never leaked in any of the many hard rains its seen since.... so i kinda forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

My guess in my case, the thing was sitting in some odd out of level state and the condensation built up somewhere that it normally does not.... one time thing, but still it's about time for me to take off the cowling and clean/inspect... tighten the mounting screws, etc...
Some time ago now, while in a campground I did pull the inner shroud to have a look. The mounting screws were loose....one was completely slack

So thanks again!

blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, inside coach, leaks