Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #5936
Air conditioning drainage

Axis and Vegas owners, is it normal for the air conditioning drainage to run off the drivers side large window outside (above the couch)?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You are lucky: Its actually normal for it to drain by the entry door on your head.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #3

THOR #5936
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You are lucky: Its actually normal for it to drain by the entry door on your head.

I am worried though about this being a possible entry way for a water leak.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It will train off the lowest point on your roof. Use "MANUAL" on your leveler to tilt the coach so it drains where you choose.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Power/automatic leveler's don't come with Axis/Vegas units from the factory.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by INKBLUE12
I am worried though about this being a possible entry way for a water leak.
That is always possible, even from rain. If you don't see a leak I would suspect you're ok--only suspect because of these frameless windows (which I've experienced a leak or two with).

You can check for a leak: pull out the screws on the inside frame: Are any wet or rusted? If they are you have a leak if not you don't.

I don't think the condensation will cause a leak, will only reveal one if its there.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

THOR #5936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
It will train off the lowest point on your roof. Use "MANUAL" on your leveler to tilt the coach so it drains where you choose.

Thanks, I was just wondering if there is a wrong or right place for the drainage. It makes sense that if one side is lower it will be where the drainage will occur. With that being said it sounds like my Motorhome isn't level.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Its unfortunate there is zero accommodation for condensate drainage on these coaches. My former DP always drained up front under the coach, and did so for the eleven years we had it. Things about that bus I really miss.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
The Vegas/Axis sits slightly nose down when on a completely level site. The condensate from the A/C will run towards the front of the roof if the site is perfectly level.

In general my A/C usually has the condensate run towards the drivers' side and usually it drips off the slide awning and runs down the side of the RV just in front of the forward end of the slide.

Get some leveler blocks and use them under the front wheels and adjust the level from side to side to get the condensate to run where you want it.

If you can get the side to side level adjusted you might be able to get the condensate to drip off the passenger side of the roof onto the awning. That will at least carry the drips to the awnings edge.

But bottom line is -- that condensate is going to drip somewhere because it is being drained onto the roof -- and that means it is going to run to a side driven by the direction of the level of the RV.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Blue,

I have a 25.2, like you, and I've found that if I'm anywhere near level the AC drains right where you've got it. Others may have a different experience based on which slide they have. It has to go somewhere and if the designers don't build a drain channel into their spec (and some do, I think Tiffin tries to provide a channel on all of they coaches now) it will find the route of least resistance.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:23 AM   #11

State: California
THOR #6924
My 2015 Outlaw does this. It will run down the drivers or front passenger side window depending on its leveling. It makes a mess of the glass.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
A question for those more adventuresome than I...has anyone climbed up on the roof and looked under the AC cover to see if the condensation just drip off the coils onto the roof or is there some sort of collector tube/ledge that leads the condensation out from under the AC cover? I understand that once it drips off the coils and hits the roof it's all headed downhill from there.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 31Y
State: Colorado
THOR #12358
Thanks for the thread. Last night in humid MO, unit froze up and began dripping inside. I also had some drainage on the driver side. Heard ice falling inside unit once I switched to fan only. Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
A question for those more adventuresome than I...has anyone climbed up on the roof and looked under the AC cover to see if the condensation just drip off the coils onto the roof or is there some sort of collector tube/ledge that leads the condensation out from under the AC cover? I understand that once it drips off the coils and hits the roof it's all headed downhill from there.

Doc
There is a pan that is part of the AC that collects the condensation from the coils. It's generally just about an inch or so above the roof. On each side of the pan there are holes where the water drips out of the pan and onto the roof. So, depending on the tilt of your RV the water will run across the roof and down the sides.

Now, I don't recommend this for others AS I KNOW THE RISK. But, I ran flexible rubber tubing (as in aquarium air line) from the pan hole to the edge of the roof. At least with this method I can determine where the water drips.

Of course, the risk is if the tubing becomes clogged the pan will overflow instead of draining. No doubt this would lead to water leaking around the AC shroud and into the RV (as would happen if the pan overflows for any reason). I check it very often!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #15

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Tom,

Thanks, looks like I will need to get "up on the roof" and take a look at that pan.

Also, looks like you might have answered Jerry's concern too...if the pan on his unit failed to drain for what ever reason!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The little holes in the pan can get stopped up also and cause water to drain inside. If the unit freezes up, you probably have a freon leak and air in the system.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #13816
The water from ours runs down at the entry door. It’s irritating. We now have faint stains from the water running down the sides even after washing it. Any suggestions as to how to get those off? We tried RainEx bug remover which helped a little. My husband said he will try WD40 but I’m not sure that’s a good idea.
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #18

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
JerrynCarol -- just had my 2015 Vegas in for service and one of the items was my A/C condenser icing up and then dripping into the living area when the AC cycled off and the ice on the condenser coils melted.

There is a little device called a thermistor that is attached to the condenser coils to sense if the coils ice up. Mine was not positioned correctly. I had 2 good years after I bought the RV new when we lived in Tampa and then last year was when the icing started. The tech said road vibration from driving it and vibration from the AC running could cause the thermistor to move out of position. They also cleaned the coils and readjusted some baffles in the AC unit that was allowing warm and cold air to mix. They said all three of these things could contribute to the coils icing up.

I had noticed that the icing was only occurring when the air was really humid.

I just picked up the RV from the shop today so I won't be able to check if the icing problem has been mitigated.

I'll let you know after our next camping trip.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #19

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
The water from ours runs down at the entry door. It’s irritating. We now have faint stains from the water running down the sides even after washing it. Any suggestions as to how to get those off? We tried RainEx bug remover which helped a little. My husband said he will try WD40 but I’m not sure that’s a good idea.
The stains are difficult to remove. Mine took lots os scrubbing, but first I installed the Camco Gutter Spouts. It's just tiny plastic spouts that prevents the water from running down the side of the RV. They were less than $10 on Amazon.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Just some skat type lyrics:
How much water, maximum under worst conditions does a unit put out in a normal cycle (yes, I know it is highly dependant on highly undependable things... What's most it could possibly do?

How hard would it be to raise an a/c unit a half inch on one edge, requiring the water to run to one spot in the pan?

Little difficulty in using a small line running three gallons of water (my guess) a day into the roof vent of the gray or black tank...or
A line down the inside of the vent and exiting the vent line before the tank... Draining under the vehicle.

Just a cure...
We just spent a weekend in Flagler Beach running the AC non-stop during the day and cycling at night. We dropped a lot more than 3 gallons a day into the sand.

No need to tilt the AC, the condensate actually improves the cooling of the condenser with the latent heat of vaporization, but the idea to have a single low drain point for when the condensate pan overflows is good, and running it through a hose down an internal wall to the ground is also good (no need to go down any vent stacks - you know there would be leaks where it exited) but you would probably run into issues with the bureaucrats who would want to call this condensate water drain "grey water" and not allow it to be dumped on the ground.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote