Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2016, 03:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Siesta 24 ST
State: Louisiana
THOR #6042
Air flow while driving. She gets car sick 😷

While driving, does driver compartment serve as heating /cooling for entire interior of rig ? I've noticed it's stuffy as we take a drive, even an hour long, and my youngster gets car sick with no 'fresh air' moving back there. Weather doesn't always permit a window to be opened in the riding portion of the rig. Please and thank you.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #762
You need to put a 12 volt fan somewhere to push cool air back to where she is.
Harry
Old 12-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I have found that by running the generator and the AC unit either cooling or fan only it will help in moving the air.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The chassis cooling is all the runs normally when driving - and in hot weather - likely leave the areas behind driver on the warm/still side.

I've mounted a 12v fan in the kitchen area (bottom of cabinet above counter) and one in the bedroom - tapped power off nearby lights for each. These certainly help moving the air if needed while driving - or boondocking...

The other option is running the genny and powering the AC while driving. Certainly gives you more cooling capacity as well.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

THOR #6042
This is my first RV and our virgin voyage. Siesta 24ST. Heading to the frozen tundra. I'm a handy sort BUT not an electrician. Forgive the next ignorant inquiry...... By 12v, you are all saying it needs to be integrated into the existing electrical system and NOT plugged into a wall plug ? Or, I fire up Genny and run her intermittently for the drive up, in this case it'd be heat/fan due to the upcoming extreme weather temps. I shan't be making a habit of going to snow laden areas. Thank you for the quick responses.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming Vernon View Post
This is my first RV and our virgin voyage. Siesta 24ST. Heading to the frozen tundra. I'm a handy sort BUT not an electrician. Forgive the next ignorant inquiry...... By 12v, you are all saying it needs to be integrated into the existing electrical system and NOT plugged into a wall plug ? Or, I fire up Genny and run her intermittently for the drive up, in this case it'd be heat/fan due to the upcoming extreme weather temps. I shan't be making a habit of going to snow laden areas. Thank you for the quick responses.
You have two 12v systems on board - one for the chassis (engine) and one for the coach (the home section). I added fans to the coach side - tapping into the 12v at the nearest light to each fan. (Unscrew the light fixture from bottom of cabinet and you will see the two wire connections.)
Some come with a cigarette lighter plug - and can be plugged in to one of your 12v outlets if you don't want to permanently connect/mount.
If all you want to do is circulate air - a rather simple option.

But if you are looking for more heat:

You have a 12v/propane furnace on board that just needs to be turned on at the thermostat and can run while driving...
The furnace is by far the largest propane consumer on board - so depending on length of trip (days) and how cold/how often it runs - may need to be conscious of propane levels.

Or you can run the genny and plug in space heaters. Be sure these can't fall over on a combustible surface (all should have 'tip over' protection).
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
To avoid electrical work, if you can find a small fan with a cigarette plug on it and a long enough cord you can plug it in dash. For heat GMC is correct you can run your furnace since it runs off 12V and propane. Our RV is about same size as yours and the cab heater/air conditioner keeps it some what warm/cool in the front part of coach. When you say tundra how far north you going?
Old 12-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Dimenhydrinate.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

THOR #6042
I have a trip to the mart planned for the plug in 12v fan on the noon hour agenda, as we have an early am departure, tomorrow. Time will not allow a full on mod . I'll do that once we are home. We are heading....to Wisconsin. Forecast of below 30°-ish all week. Water lines winterized and gallon jugs handy for use of gray and black water tanks...Which have antifreeze in them. I guessed on how much of that to add to each tank by pouring down drain and adding to flush of commode.
We will stop and plug into shore power half way up and back. Also plugged into shore power while there. I read too late, that the water/lines could have been kept in working order as long as the cabin was kept warm, above freezing. Oh well, next time. I'll need to invest in a long handled ice/snow scraper once up there...None to be had in shops down south. Any and all comments,.Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. 'gmc' you're a wealth of knowledge and I thank you, I'll be checking in more as we go.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
12v fans do not work as well as 120v fans. In my Axis, I did not have a converter to run small appliances so I installed a small inverter on top of the "dog house" and installed two 120v fans at the top of the windshield and ran the wires down to the inverter. When driving we use the fans and when dry camped, we have a small inverter to recharge our laptop and run small appliances.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
When your at the mart pick up some non drowsy oil to put behind ears for car sickness and sea sickness, we use it on cruises and works for us.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

THOR #6042
Will get some of that as well. Thank you.

As noted above, I am no electrician, but can be taught new tricks.
I am just getting a mental map of this rig. It came with some fancy bells and whistles from the original owner. A senior military gent who installed bigger and better ' stuff'. I KNOW it's a prime rig set up for some serious travel, but I just need to get the hang of her and make her my friend.

side note : the 'bed' dining pull out = worthless. when it's pulled out to a bed form, its impossible to walk around. one has to climb over the 'bed' to get to and from, am I wrong or is this a major design flaw ?! And the ladder to get above cab, can't be used when bed/dinette is out.

I've also researched the dvd use and tv set up. Again, it has a satellite and cable system set up as 'add ons', I cant get ANY of it to work. I ONLY want the dvd player to work...and I've had 5 different 20-something year olds look it over, pushing buttons and inspecting wires/junction boxes and the like. NOTHING.

off topic, but since I've got you all here....
Old 12-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you have fans above the dash pointing them toward the rear helps circulate air. On Amazon you can buy 12v table fans that plug in to cigarette lighter sockets, I have one and it moves a lot of air!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I have a few battery operated fans that work well enough
but as far as 12 volt fans go I have ready that the fantastic fan endless breeze are much better than most others....
Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Stand Alone Fans

But for the OP's purpose,
have you considered running your roof vent fan? I assume you have one..... if not, consider upgrading your roof vent to a Fantastic Fan or a Maxxair
They don't necessarily give that breeze in the face that she might need though....

and as others have posted don't be shy about running the generator for house AC, or you can run the furnace for heat.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #15

THOR #6042
We have a great little fan in roof above the back bunks, but....can that be run/open for ventilation while driving ? If so, I'll tap into that until the weather gets too crazy cold.
Yes, I'll initiate the generator while 'in flight' for added heat/furnace power if needed.
Again, it's not so much the cold while driving as keeping the air moving about the cabin.
I'm off for the 12v plug in, hope to find a selection out there that will suit the need for now.

Is anybody else traveling for New Years ? Curious if I'm the only crazy one going north?
Old 12-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #16

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yes, that roof vent can be used.
In fact you might find that by just opening it without turning the fan on, airflow might be induced through the house from the fresh air coming in through the dash....
and if you don't have one, a cover over this vent is a great addition.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #17
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming Vernon View Post
Yes, I'll initiate the generator while 'in flight' for added heat/furnace power if needed.
You only need to run the generator if you want to run the AC (or its fans) - or want to plug in a 110v fan or heater to normal outlets...

The furnace, roof vent fan, running an inverter to power a 110v fan do not require the generator... Just the normal coach 12v (and propane on in case of furnace).

DW finds Bonine works well for motion issues... She doesn't need it in the RV, but for long car rides if she isn't driving.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-28-2016, 02:33 AM   #18

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
As for your satellite, I'm guessing it was all working for the former owner. If that was the case, its only a matter of getting it connected, and your Direct or Dish box being compatible with your satellite system. If its a HD system, you will need HDMI cables run from your box to each TV you are running on the system.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:51 AM   #19

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Use the BR roof vent, If it has a cover it can be used in the rain.MaxxAir I Original Black Roof Vent Cover - Maxxair 00-933069P - Vents - Camping World
Installation an easy DIY

Your propane furnace is ducted into the holding tanks, duct runs forward under the toilet platform, drivers side. Another duct runs behind the twin beds to the passenger-side and then forward to the step well. This keeps the FW tank and water lines below the fridge and sink heated. That furnace is 12 volt- engine alternator will keep batteries charged on the road. (Don't need genny to run furnace if driving) Your coach batteries may or may not run the furnace overnight if not on shore power.

If the AC has a heat pump (mine does) it is ineffective below 40 degrees, and never heats the plumbing. I have good results into upper 20's -when on shore power -using a cube heater in BR on low and setting the propane heater to low-mid 60's. Slows down the use of propane and maintains more even temp. and heats the plumbing. ( I don't use cube heater on the road, requires genny and not safe if it falls over or gets against something flammable)

TV's- Amplifier for TV has to be on (green light) for over the air stations. It has to be off for cable. Set-up has to be changed to cable or air as needed and a channel search done each time you stop in a new area. To play CD go to set-up and select input. FWIW my amplifier is in the hanging closet and the cable connections were very loose. (Don't let the cables fall back inside the wall). (don't ask)..

I have theater seats instead of the bed in the slideout. It was an Option for 2016.

Hope this helps.. and..Enjoy your 24ST..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #20

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #762
Off Topic a little.
Hooligan;
Could you post a picture of your theater seats and measurements.?
Harry