Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #3972
Alaska trip

Hi
Any suggestion on driving the Alaska highway
We have a 2014 class c four winds 31L
Wonder about getting a bra to cover front and protection of our wind shield
Any thoughts?? Suggestions??

Old 04-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
We'e been to Alaska twice in the last three years in our RV and it is fantastic. We found the roads in NW Canada and Alaska as good or better then many places in the US. That being said, they only have 4 months to fix and construct their roads, so you are always going to find some under construction. We had chips in out windshield both times (easily fixed) and stones against the front, so a bra and windshield protection (??) are not bad ideas. We went up the Alcan hwy and then down to Skagway, took the ferry to Haines and back up to Canada and into Alaska. Skagway and Haines are worthwhile side trips. We select a week inside Denali NP but you have to make reservations early. Those were the only reservations we made, but 4th of July weekend is big in Alaska, so you need to be somewhere early and stay. We spent one in Homer and the other in Stewart. Stewart was the best, but you need to be there a week early (at least) or have a reservation. Many beautiful places to stay on the Kenai peninsula. Coming home we went up to Chicken Alaska (a hoot) and across the "Top of the World Highway" to Dawson City, Canada where there is a good musical festival in late July or August. Then we went south on Rt 37 to Rt 16 and east to get home. Off of Rt 37 (newly paved last year) a side trip to Hyder, Alaska and their fishing bears, is a must. Great trip. Do it! Buy You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

THOR #1765
https://www.themilepost.com/

Buy the Milepost, above link. You can't go to Alaska in an RV without it. It has everything you need to know and then some.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #4

THOR #3972
Thanks for the update
My husband drove it 1994 and he wondered if it had improved
Old 04-09-2016, 02:57 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
I drove it in 85 and again in 05, what a difference, I can't begin to tell you how much. But I must admit the first time was the most fun, hardpack in October/November, came back in the spring mostly mud and getting stuck at least twice a day LOL. The last time pretty much all highway with signs for directions. Night and day differance, but both were absolutely beautiful.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

THOR #3972
Thanks
I did purchase the milepost
Looks like there is so much to see I might need more than a month to enjoy it all
Old 04-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

THOR #3972
Thanks
That's what I wanted to hear
Can't wait to enjoy it
Old 04-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

THOR #1765
We took four months overall, including two months in Alaska. Every day was an adventure.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #9

Model: aXIS
State: Ontario
THOR #3138
We drove in 72 and then three times in the last decade. No one has mentioned the Klondike Hwy to Dawson City which is still like the original Yukon. I was born there before the war and remember well the dirt streets, wooden sidewalks and sloping buildings. For the genuinely adventurous, try the Dempsey Hwy to the Arctic Coast ( the Artic Ocean) but do your homework trip!