Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2018, 11:28 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
All motor functions dead

Battery shows green fully charged. No headlights horn gauges etc. of course the motor will also not turn over. Any suggestions appreciated. Thor 29FE Ford V10.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Did you try the switch on the dash to connect the house batteries to eng.?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Green dot on chassis battery should indicate a good charge (volt meter would confirm that). When you operate the chassis battery latching (connect) relay did you hear it click? If not, you may not actually be connecting the chassis battery to the required chassis circuits. I suspect that chassis battery disconnect may be the first place to check.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:02 AM   #4

THOR #7227
All motor functions dead

Yes tried that but no help. Put a volt meter on on the battery and it read 1.7 volts so need to leave for a trip I am just buying a battery and hope that fixes the problem. Battery charger started green 100% but volt meter stated 1.7 volts
Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #5

THOR #2631
Well a fully charged 12v battery should measure about 12.6 volts unloaded varying slightly with ambient temperature.....clearly you have a bad or shorted battery. When you mentioned green I assumed you meant the Ford chassis battery charge sight button showed green......which is usually a visual indication of a fully charged condition.

When you replace your chassis battery make sure with your voltmeter that the coach charging systems (shore power converter and engine alternator) are each doing their job to keep the new battery charged. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:12 AM   #6

THOR #7227
Battery fixed the problem just wonder why my charger stated good battery 100% charged but volt meters don’t lie so thanks for your reply and concern. Headed for Myrtle Beach in AM thanks again. For your concern. When I tried emergency start I held the switch and tried to start the engine did I miss a step ? because generator would start so chassis battery was fine.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

THOR #2631
Typically the generator starts from Coach batteries not the Chassis battery. Using the emergency start switch basically connects the Chassis and Coach batteries together via the interconnect relay. As I said previously, make sure your charging systems are doing their job to ensure the new battery (and existing coach batteries) will be charged properly.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #8

THOR #7227
Thanks for all the replies. Enjoying Myrtle Beach but keeping an eye on battery charge. Chalk it up to Gremlins and move on. Thanks again
Old 06-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #9

State: Arkansas
THOR #11737
I had the same issue with a tractor battery. The indicator on the battery was green, the battery charger conditioned the battery and ran to full charge, but it was not strong enough to crank the tractor. I bought a new battery, and it solved the problem (at least it has been good going on 3 months now).
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #10

THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I had the same issue with a tractor battery. The indicator on the battery was green, the battery charger conditioned the battery and ran to full charge, but it was not strong enough to crank the tractor. I bought a new battery, and it solved the problem (at least it has been good going on 3 months now).

Good to know that perhaps it’s only a one time problem. Safe Travels.