Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Am I missing something?

Here is a picture of the DVD player in my ACE 30.2, which is mounted in the cabinet above the couch. There are two HDMI cables ran into the compartment, one for the outside tv and one for the tv mounted over the dinette, which allows me to watch dvd’s either inside or outside. I understand that part; what I don’t understand is the coaxial outlet that appears to be coming from the roof mounted antenna. I would assume that there should be coax cables ran to both TVs so that “over the air” channels could be watched on the TVs. But as you can see, no such coax cables exist, nor have they been run through the walls. Is this something my coach should have had from the factory, or am I on my own to run coax cable through the walls to the TVs? Thanks everyone. (My cell data is terrible where we’re camping. I’ll get the pic uploaded later.)

Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Can you get behind where the co-ax comes in from the external antenna, and plugs into where the booster switch is?
Perhaps they've got something else coming from the back side of that connection...
Happy hunting, and good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Can you get behind where the co-ax comes in from the external antenna, and plugs into where the booster switch is?
Perhaps they've got something else coming from the back side of that connection...
Happy hunting, and good luck!
Correct. All ota cables are attached together behind the booster switch plate.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I have a 2017 30.2. Are you referring to the wall plate with the coaxial attachment that also has the green light and small button. That coaxial plug should have nothing attached to it. You can add another TV to that outlet if you want.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:33 AM   #5

THOR #8259
Thanks everyone! I guess my question now is, how do I get ota channels to display on my TVs? Is there a certain input setting they have to be on?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:59 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
I'm not familiar with the ACE models. But, on our Axis 25.5 I added a DVD player and attached a 4 way signal splitter to it. Then I ran 3 separate HDMI cables from the splitter; one to each of our TV's. So, each TV now has both a coax cable and HDMI cable attached. The OTA channels and cable channels get to the TV's via the coax leads. The DVD signal can get to any of the 3 TV's or all of them at the same time, via the HDMI cables. I suppose there may be a way to do it all thru the coax cables but doing it the way I did, works well for us.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #7

THOR #8259
I gotcha Oldchief...I had the thought of doing the same and having a centralized DVD player for all three of my TVs. My problem tho is that I can’t seem to get a signal for ota channels on my TVs. When we camp somewhere that has cable hookup, I can plug a coax cable into my rig and the cable tv works just fine. Where we’re currently camping, I should be able to view ota channels, but I get nothing on my TVs. From what I’ve been reading in this thread, it would appear that I have a setting wrong or something to that effect. When you guys watch OTA channels, is there some sort of setting/button/switch that has to be made in order to get OTA signal? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #8

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Thanks everyone! I guess my question now is, how do I get ota channels to display on my TVs? Is there a certain input setting they have to be on?
When using your RV antenna make sure the little green light is ON, on the little button plate. If not the press the button on that plate. That turns on the built in amplifier. Turn the green light OFF when you're trying to tune in campground connected cable channels.(The amplifier blocks out the use of the external connected cable source)
Of course each TV needs to be set for TV input. Then set the TV tuning to "Air" for the RV antenna or "Cable" for campground cable connected use.
Lastly make the TV do a Channel Scan.
Some TV's show a result of how many channels it searched for, how many it found, how many were RF type and how many were Digital type.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:45 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
We had same issue, while our Axis was still under factory warranty. Turned out that the King Jack antenna that came on our Axis was bad. Not dead but intermittently it would just stop working. I isolated the problem to the antenna by attaching a friend's marine TV antenna to my Axis and all 3 TV's worked fine on local OTA channels. I removed my defective antenna myself, contacted King Jack customer service, provided them with the serial number of my bad antenna and they sent me a new replacement. Their antennas are warrantied for 3 years. The replacement they sent was an upgraded model from the cheapo one Thor put on our Axis. Reason I replaced it myself was that I was sick of having our dealer, with their crappy service dept. tie up our unit for weeks at a time every time we sent something in for warranty repair. It took me an afternoon to remove the defective antenna and install the new one. Problem of not receiving OTA channels solved!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

THOR #8259
Thanks everyone! I figured it out - the tv has to be set to “air” instead of “cable”. 🤦*♂️ Once I changed that in the menu settings on my TVs, they all worked like a charm. Simple fix that I should have known!