Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Another slide issue

On my recent trip I had the big slide bind up when I tried to retract it. It started to retract (about 2") and the rear suddenly stopped which put it in a bind and the entire slide stopped. I ran it out and back in a couple time to the point it was binding and it suddenly went in. It worked fine the rest of the trip but now it's doing the same thing again. I got a couple of my neighbors and with them pushing on the rear side I was able to get it back in. I looked at the Schwintek website, and inspected and lubed the motors as they demonstrated. The track looks like new as does the gear on the motor. I ran the slide in and out about a foot and it worked fine so I ran it all the way out and it once again bound up on the rear side. After again getting help to get it back in I completely removed the trim and the seating around the table to try and gain access so I could see where it was binding. The additional access it gave me was minimal at best and the entire process was futile.

If I understood how this system is set up I think I could find the problem and fix it but seeing anything is near to impossible. I looked for drawings/schematics on how this system is set up but the only thing I could find was the actual schwintek drawing/demo. The weight of the slide is on something; I assume rollers that the metal plates underneath the slide run on but is it rollers or is it a slide? Does this require lubrication; is there a way to access it? There's a black metal plate on the floor inside the dinette seating that I thought might give me access but after removal of the 6 screws holding it in place there was still something holding it in and I was afraid to start prying it. My rear slide I noticed also now sticks on retracting it but only for a split second and then continues. When will it too stop. Anyone have any links to a schematic that shows exactly how these slides work or how you can gain access to see whats binding?

Old 07-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #2

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Mike,
Was your rv jacks down and level?
when I first got the rv the salesman told me it didn't matter but I found out the hard way when it binded the slide and even mar the tracks ton my full slide.
If rv is not level the rv will twist enough to bind.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Did you look for the control box? Follow the instructions on the box and you will reset the unit.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

THOR #2581
I have NEVER extended my slides unless it was level and the jacks were down.
It starts in fine for the first couple inches and then the rear side clearly starts to bind. How will resetting the control box resolve this? I would however like to know where it is.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
The slide control is in my forward storage in the basement. See if it gives you a flashing green and red. You can push the button in 7 times and hold the 8th I believe the numbers are correct. Another reset is to pull the motor connector from the control box, that sometimes does it too. Also I extended my slide then retract about a foot then out.......3 times....this resyncs the motors.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
It's 6 then hold the 7th until you see the lights flash alternating red/green. But, I don't think that will be anything more than an emergency way to retract the slide. Still something is wrong with it.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
THOR #5043
When this happened to me, I fixed it by buying two new 500:1 reduction, hi torque motors. Works fine now. BR schwintech slide. Wouldn't messd with the standard motors.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
It's 6 then hold the 7th until you see the lights flash alternating red/green. But, I don't think that will be anything more than an emergency way to retract the slide. Still something is wrong with it.
I had to do that and it happened as we were heading to Thor service in wakarusa. my 29.3 full side slide q
was acting like it was binding on one side. i think the controller sees that is is out of balance and stops.

i reset the controller and it came in like normal. I ran it in and out a couple times. all was good. I mentioned that to the tech at Thor when we handed the RV over and he said they do that now and then and resetting the controller is the way to go.

he checked it out and found nothing to be concerned about.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #9

THOR #2581
Okay I'm showing no fault codes on the controller which does not surprise me. The slide is not out of sync and both motors are running (until the back side binds and then you can quickly hear the rear motor stop so resetting the control box would do nothing. When the slide is extended it goes out evenly and when retracted it comes in evenly once it is manually pushed past the point it sticks. I may investigate the bigger motor thing but right now am not inclined to use the bigger hammer method until I correct the binding issue. I again ask if anyone has a link to a schematic or knows of some way of accessing underneath to see where the roller or slide is that the slideout rests on.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #10

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
I had to do that and it happened as we were heading to Thor service in wakarusa. my 29.3 full side slide q
was acting like it was binding on one side. i think the controller sees that is is out of balance and stops.

i reset the controller and it came in like normal. I ran it in and out a couple times. all was good. I mentioned that to the tech at Thor when we handed the RV over and he said they do that now and then and resetting the controller is the way to go.

he checked it out and found nothing to be concerned about.

John
Did it show a fault code? I reset mine even though it didn't have a fault code but haven't yet tried it as I don't have help right now if it gets stuck in the out position. Thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #11

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Okay I'm showing no fault codes on the controller which does not surprise me. The slide is not out of sync and both motors are running (until the back side binds and then you can quickly hear the rear motor stop so resetting the control box would do nothing. When the slide is extended it goes out evenly and when retracted it comes in evenly once it is manually pushed past the point it sticks. I may investigate the bigger motor thing but right now am not inclined to use the bigger hammer method until I correct the binding issue. I again ask if anyone has a link to a schematic or knows of some way of accessing underneath to see where the roller or slide is that the slideout rests on.

If it's a big slide you probably already have the high torque motors(500.1). The other motors are 300.1.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
If you just want to take a look at the slide rollers, open slide a few feet or so. Pull down rubber seal under slide from the outside. You don't remove it, just push it aside enough to inspect. Get a good flashlight. Now you can check two things, one you have not mentioned. The rollers can be inspected. The t-bars can also be inspected from there to determine if any are rubbing and causing misalignment. The t-bars look just like a tee and guide the slide. shouldn't see any sign of wear or binding.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #13

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Check the rollers and plates for sure. I had a similar problem and found that the plates were too short and the rollers are not on them thus causing huge resistance/binding
Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
In regard to leveling before putting the slide out - I have been putting my slide out before using leveling blocks and deploying the stabilizers. The reason I have been doing this is because I cannot level the RV until the slide goes out and unbalances the rig.

If I level the rig with blocks and then put the slide out it will then shift the weight and be un-level again. I do not have auto levelers on my Quantum.

Are you saying I should not be doing it this way?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #15

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M_MURPHYS View Post
In regard to leveling before putting the slide out - I have been putting my slide out before using leveling blocks and deploying the stabilizers. The reason I have been doing this is because I cannot level the RV until the slide goes out and unbalances the rig.

If I level the rig with blocks and then put the slide out it will then shift the weight and be un-level again. I do not have auto levelers on my Quantum.

Are you saying I should not be doing it this way?
I think it depends on what slide mechanism you have. On my 5th wheel I used to have it didn’t matter which way it was leaning. If it’s the Schwintek slide I would make sure it’s level first. You can always have the slide side up a little higher then when you put the slide out it should be good.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Has a solution to this problem been found?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #17

THOR #2581
Sorry about that. I always try to not leave people hanging. I took my rig in and had the slides lubricated and motors synced and it has worked flawlessly since. They said the slides need to be lubricated at least every couple years and maybe more in extremely hot dry climates.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #18

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Sorry about that. I always try to not leave people hanging. I took my rig in and had the slides lubricated and motors synced and it has worked flawlessly since. They said the slides need to be lubricated at least every couple years and maybe more in extremely hot dry climates.
I believe Lippert recommends not lubing the Schwintek slides now.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 AM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
During my PDI the tech, who seemed very knowledgeable, recommended against lubing it. He said they always used to do it but it’s no longer recommended. Notwithstanding, I watched the videos on how to lube and I’ve done it once in my year of ownership. I’d like to see something “official” from Lippert if they are now recommending against it.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #20

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
I believe Lippert recommends not lubing the Schwintek slides now.
I just had the same problem I am now considering replacing the schwintec slide mechanism with something different. Does anyone have any experience with removing the schwintec slide mechanism and replacing it with something more reliable?