Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
THOR #7257
Anyone had their Safe-T plus removed?

We purchased 2016 Ace 29.4 used from private seller. During inspection we were aware the steering bushing and rod was torn and it was no rush to take it in. We did a few trips and noticed coach alignment was off and it was kinda white knuckles driving it and always oversteering (overcorrecting at time) and it veered to the left side.

Took to only Ford Dealership that would work on a motorhome 1.5 hrs away and they replaced steering rod/bushing all under warranty. I was suppose to be charged $200 for alignment and it doesn't come under warranty. Fine. Later they call and saying job will be $800 because they are having all kinds of issues with alignment and this steering damper needs to be fixed. It's junk so they will remove it. It the price is higher because it's aftermarket and it's "junk" per customer service. I ask, is this like steering stabilizer because I was thinking maybe I should buy T-safe or roadmaster stabilizer and that might help? But was told no, that will just "make the problem worst". I didn't fully understand what they meant but I trusted them and said go ahead. Two days later I pick up the unit and they show me where this item was installed and how they spent hours trying do alignment and realized the damper was causing issues and they figured, "let's just take it off" and now it drives perfect. They do this all the time. Etc. etc. Tried ask same questions, what about getting T-safe or roadmaster stabilizer, should I get something like that or maybe that's what I need? They shrugged and said sounds like something you could put on yourself, it just bolts on. I can do my own research and if I need help, I can contact them to help me. OK.

I get home and to my horror, wrapped inside the box of the "junk" item they removed is a Safe-T Plus bar. Ugh. Now I'm frustrated that I paid $800 which they treated the problem but didn't really fix it. Yes, the unit drives much straighter and easier, I can drive with 2 fingers. However, I think I can detect how sensitive the steering wheel. It feels more touchy but not more stable (maybe that's the way to put it?) I could see how one may in panic situation over-correct and slide the rv off the road. Has anyone encountered something like this?

My frustration is that if I had known what the "junk" Part was I would have never authorized it as it appears from reading notes on it, it requires multiple test drives and adjusting the T-safe. The coach was aligned but the T-safe was not aligned or maybe not installed properly. I spoke to T-Safe Plus and they said it should take 10 minutes to remove (1 hour tops) but most of the labor is in installing it, not remove it. So what did I pay for? I've called Ford Dealership and asked for manager and he hasn't called me back yet. Note, their hourly rate posted is $170 per hour so much more expensive in Silicon Valley area

Anyone encounter situation like this? Any suggestions/tips?

I should also note, there is a Steer Stabilizer in the rear which I knew about (but never saw the T-safe in the front) and I have not done the CHF yet. So far it drives well but I've only driven in easy traffic since I picked it up)

Old 09-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
There's no such thing as a rear steering stabilizer. Also, you got screwed by that repair shop. I would report them to Ford and the BBB.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

THOR #7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
There's no such thing as a rear steering stabilizer. Also, you got screwed by that repair shop. I would report them to Ford and the BBB.
Sorry, my mistake, it's a Super Steer SS400 which is Rear Trac bar. Looks like I can't edit my original post to fix it.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Sounds to me like the repair shop tried to align without loosening the Safe-T-Plus first. No wonder they had so much trouble. Now that your alignment is correct I would have the unit installed...somewhere other than the garage that charged you the exorbitant price.

The cost for install is higher than removal because it involves test driving after the initial installation and readjustment. But is well worth it especially in cross winds and in the event of a blowout.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickwit View Post
We purchased 2016 Ace 29.4 used from private seller. During inspection we were aware the steering bushing and rod was torn and it was no rush to take it in. We did a few trips and noticed coach alignment was off and it was kinda white knuckles driving it and always oversteering (overcorrecting at time) and it veered to the left side.

Took to only Ford Dealership that would work on a motorhome 1.5 hrs away and they replaced steering rod/bushing all under warranty. I was suppose to be charged $200 for alignment and it doesn't come under warranty. Fine. Later they call and saying job will be $800 because they are having all kinds of issues with alignment and this steering damper needs to be fixed. It's junk so they will remove it. It the price is higher because it's aftermarket and it's "junk" per customer service. I ask, is this like steering stabilizer because I was thinking maybe I should buy T-safe or roadmaster stabilizer and that might help? But was told no, that will just "make the problem worst". I didn't fully understand what they meant but I trusted them and said go ahead. Two days later I pick up the unit and they show me where this item was installed and how they spent hours trying do alignment and realized the damper was causing issues and they figured, "let's just take it off" and now it drives perfect. They do this all the time. Etc. etc. Tried ask same questions, what about getting T-safe or roadmaster stabilizer, should I get something like that or maybe that's what I need? They shrugged and said sounds like something you could put on yourself, it just bolts on. I can do my own research and if I need help, I can contact them to help me. OK.

I get home and to my horror, wrapped inside the box of the "junk" item they removed is a Safe-T Plus bar. Ugh. Now I'm frustrated that I paid $800 which they treated the problem but didn't really fix it. Yes, the unit drives much straighter and easier, I can drive with 2 fingers. However, I think I can detect how sensitive the steering wheel. It feels more touchy but not more stable (maybe that's the way to put it?) I could see how one may in panic situation over-correct and slide the rv off the road. Has anyone encountered something like this?

My frustration is that if I had known what the "junk" Part was I would have never authorized it as it appears from reading notes on it, it requires multiple test drives and adjusting the T-safe. The coach was aligned but the T-safe was not aligned or maybe not installed properly. I spoke to T-Safe Plus and they said it should take 10 minutes to remove (1 hour tops) but most of the labor is in installing it, not remove it. So what did I pay for? I've called Ford Dealership and asked for manager and he hasn't called me back yet. Note, their hourly rate posted is $170 per hour so much more expensive in Silicon Valley area

Anyone encounter situation like this? Any suggestions/tips?

I should also note, there is a Steer Stabilizer in the rear which I knew about (but never saw the T-safe in the front) and I have not done the CHF yet. So far it drives well but I've only driven in easy traffic since I picked it up)
Sorry, don't for a minute believe that a Saf-T-Plus "will just make ....it worse..." Sounds like the dealership isn't too aware of the chassis and steering issues. Our Ford dealers around this area of SoCal cannot do alignments and basically won't work on the bigger chassis including our E450 with the Axis 24.1. Saf-T-Plus on our chassis did wonders for the ride.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #6

Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
THOR #8513
I installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and did the chf, both front and rear, made a tremendous difference in my F53 chassis. I would highly recommend doing both.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:03 AM   #7

THOR #7257
Quote:
Thanks, the dealer has offered to reinstall my Safe-T unit and reset the steering again. It's not ideal win-win for me since I have to make 2 more trips and still would've been ALOT cheaper if I had just got alignment done correctly by someone who knew what they were doing . I'll see what happens. I'm planning to do the CHF in the future. One thing at a time for now.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #8

THOR #8513
The chf will take 2 hrs on the front and maybe 3 on the rear. You will need to take off the link rods on the rear and switch them from side to side because of the extra piece attached to the bottom of the link rod.
You will need a good impact gun, a breaker bar, 15mm and 18mm deep impact sockets and wrenches. You may need the help of a floor jack to push the sway bar into place when connecting the final tie rod.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
It took me maybe 2 hours to do both front and back chf. Now that i know how do to it maybe 15 minutes for each.

I didnt need an impact wrench. Just an 1/2 racket and couple wrenches. I used a bottle jack to raise the sway bar.

Remember to torque all the bolts to 66 ft pounds and use blue loctite.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #10

THOR #7257
Thanks guys, this is helpful! I'll let you know how things turn out when I get coach back from the shop. It goes in next week and hopefully I'll have it back same day or following week. <crossing fingers>
Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #11

THOR #7257
Picked up the MH and went for short half day trip last weekend. Wow, the alignment sure makes a huge difference and I'm no longer fighting with the MH. After having driven it briefly when the Safe-T unit was uninstalled and now with it correctly installed, I am now understanding the meaning of "steering dampener". I think the best way I can describe the steering is that it's now kinda squishy feeling or sluggish. I don't mean in a bad way but it's not all touchy like it was when Safe-T was removed.

When I was on I-5 in areas with smooth asphalt and straight line, I could really feel how the Safe-T unit helps pull the coach through in straight line. In other words, help keep the steering in one direction. It takes a little getting used to driving on big bends as the coach sometimes doesn't respond as quickly.

Anyways, overall I'm pretty happy with it and glad we got it resolved between new bushing/steering rod replacement, alignment of both the coach and the Safe-T unit. I'm still looking into the CHF in the near future. Hope this is helpful for others reading this!
Old 10-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #12

THOR #8513
Cheap handling fix

You should do the CHF, sooner rather than later, if you're mechanically inclined. It does take a bit of knowledge and grunt.
It will make a huge improvement on how your rig handles, it made mine handle so much better and didn't cost me a thing, only a couple afternoons of my time.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Snick (If I can call you by your first name... )
Glad to hear that they got around to making things right for you!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #14

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickwit View Post
Picked up the MH and went for short half day trip last weekend. Wow, the alignment sure makes a huge difference and I'm no longer fighting with the MH. After having driven it briefly when the Safe-T unit was uninstalled and now with it correctly installed, I am now understanding the meaning of "steering dampener". I think the best way I can describe the steering is that it's now kinda squishy feeling or sluggish. I don't mean in a bad way but it's not all touchy like it was when Safe-T was removed.

When I was on I-5 in areas with smooth asphalt and straight line, I could really feel how the Safe-T unit helps pull the coach through in straight line. In other words, help keep the steering in one direction. It takes a little getting used to driving on big bends as the coach sometimes doesn't respond as quickly.

Anyways, overall I'm pretty happy with it and glad we got it resolved between new bushing/steering rod replacement, alignment of both the coach and the Safe-T unit. I'm still looking into the CHF in the near future. Hope this is helpful for others reading this!
So, the Safe-T-Plus was removed and then you had it reinstalled? I hope it's something that works. I'm in motion to have one installed next week. :-)
Old 10-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
So, the Safe-T-Plus was removed and then you had it reinstalled? I hope it's something that works. I'm in motion to have one installed next week. :-)
When installed properly the Safe-T-Plus makes a huge difference in steering control.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:45 AM   #16

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
When installed properly the Safe-T-Plus makes a huge difference in steering control.
jb1911, I'm counting on that.
I'll be having it installed at the Safe-T-Plus factory.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #17

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
We have a Safe-T-Plus on our Jayco Alante 26AY, I could tell the difference as I backed it out the door of the factory.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:13 AM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #8306
I'm new at this motorcoach lingo.....What is CHF ?
Old 11-04-2017, 04:12 AM   #19

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch1408 View Post
I'm new at this motorcoach lingo.....What is CHF ?
Cheap Handling Fix
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #8306
Thanks!