Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2021, 12:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #22496
Unhappy Thor Vegas/Axis 2019 25.6 - Need to locate water pump access

Help! All of a sudden, when we turn on our water pump, it runs constantly and has a clicking noise. We don't hear any water running or dripping, the water pressure has remained normal, but it just never shuts off. We'd like to be able to access the water pump just to be able to see if it's leaking and causing damage, and if it's something simple like a loose hose or something, we'd like to be able to fix it without taking it to the dealer. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? We've followed the sound, and thought it might be under the shower (no dice). It sounds like it could be under the bed, but there's no easy access panel and that seems strange since the bed moves with the slide. We've only had the RV since late summer so every maintenance issue is a new learning curve for us. Most everything we've been able to figure out fix, but this one is stumping us.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Look in or below your rear closet.

Maybe pull out one of the drawers below the closet.

I would bet the water pump is there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I think Jamie's pointing you in the right direction.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #4

THOR #22492
If you remove the outdoor shower assembly, you will find not only the water pump, but the winterizer bypass valve.
I’m having a custom door installed around the outdoor shower assembly to make access easy year to year.
Btw
I’ve fixed every problem with my Axis 25.6 so far. I’ll be sharing all of my fixes a bit later.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanh9 View Post
If you remove the outdoor shower assembly, you will find not only the water pump, but the winterizer bypass valve.
I’m having a custom door installed around the outdoor shower assembly to make access easy year to year.
Btw
I’ve fixed every problem with my Axis 25.6 so far. I’ll be sharing all of my fixes a bit later.
Welcome to the site.

Seems like Thor would make an easier access point inside the RV than to have to remove the outdoor shower assembly.

With the pump being at the far right (facing the back) of the rear it would seem the easiest thing to do would be to remove the lower right drawer and you'd see it under there.

If there is a panel below the drawer look for screws. Thor usually staples panels in except ones that are meant to be removed--then they have screws.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #6

THOR #22492
I’ve been the route of trying to remove panels, drawers, etc. It’s sitting right here behind the outdoor shower. If you happen to have an extremely long, thin arm , you can touch it by removing the top right drawer, facing back, it’s useless to try to access it that way.
Later on I will list the myriad of things that needed repair or rebuilding on our Axis 25.6. Also, how each was accomplished.
In the end, there is no better layout for a short coach than the 25.6, in my opinion. We simply decided it was better to fix stuff and keep the coach.
The end result has been very rewarding.
The journey has been down right awful!
Old 03-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

THOR #16003
I found the pump under the jackknife couch while removing the couch to have it covered. The shut off for the water tank is there too.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The bobo View Post
I found the pump under the jackknife couch while removing the couch to have it covered. The shut off for the water tank is there too.
The subject coach is a 25.6. Is that what you have?
Old 03-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The subject coach is a 25.6. Is that what yo have?
From this post it looks like Bobo has a 25.5:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3...tml#post194944
Old 03-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
From this post it looks like Bobo has a 25.5:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3...tml#post194944
Sooo, N/A to this thread........
Old 03-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #11

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I think that Thor should talk to us users of their products before the genius designer/engineers start to locate where they stick important components or have the genius`s try to fix a problem where they put them. Case in point where the controller for my slide is only visible by taking the outdoor shower apart, hopefully I will not have to do that
Coveman2
2018 Compass 23 TB
Old 03-17-2021, 07:58 PM   #12

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Arizona
THOR #19334
Location of Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganfore View Post
Help! All of a sudden, when we turn on our water pump, it runs constantly and has a clicking noise. We don't hear any water running or dripping, the water pressure has remained normal, but it just never shuts off. We'd like to be able to access the water pump just to be able to see if it's leaking and causing damage, and if it's something simple like a loose hose or something, we'd like to be able to fix it without taking it to the dealer. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? We've followed the sound, and thought it might be under the shower (no dice). It sounds like it could be under the bed, but there's no easy access panel and that seems strange since the bed moves with the slide. We've only had the RV since late summer so every maintenance issue is a new learning curve for us. Most everything we've been able to figure out fix, but this one is stumping us.
I have the Axis 27.7. I finally located my water pump behind the wall in the storage compartment next to the dump compartment. If yours is not there call Thor and ask them to email you the plumbing schematic layout for your RV.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:59 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
THOR #14398
I have a 2018 Vegas 25.6. I discovered that the “funky” part of the rear wall, under the drawers, that looks sort of like a magazine rack, is held in place by 2 screws. If you look “inside” the rack along the left and right sides you should see the screw heads. Remove these screws and you can pull the “rack” forward. The slide does need to be open. Once removed you can see the fresh water holding tank and the pump behind it. I didn’t need to access the pump, so I don’t know if you have to remove the fresh water tank or not.
Hope this helps. If you need, I can get you some pics of where I found the screws on my unit.
Good luck.
Mike
Old 07-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #14

State: Minnesota
THOR #19857
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I have a 2018 Vegas 25.6. I discovered that the “funky” part of the rear wall, under the drawers, that looks sort of like a magazine rack, is held in place by 2 screws. If you look “inside” the rack along the left and right sides you should see the screw heads. Remove these screws and you can pull the “rack” forward. The slide does need to be open. Once removed you can see the fresh water holding tank and the pump behind it. I didn’t need to access the pump, so I don’t know if you have to remove the fresh water tank or not.
Hope this helps. If you need, I can get you some pics of where I found the screws on my unit.
Good luck.
Mike
I'd love to see a photo of where those screws are. I need to get back there and only found the 23 gauge nails used to tack it into place!
Old 07-07-2021, 10:40 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
I had to access my water tank in my 2021 Axis 25.6 - I had to just look/feel around the inside of the magazine rack to find all of the screws - there were probably 6-8. I had to actually punch out the flimsy pressboard in the bottom sections to get at the bottom screws and didn't bother putting them back in when re-assembling, in case I need to get in there again. They build these like you'll never have to take them apart.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:05 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: Louisiana
THOR #14398
Water pump access

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn View Post
I'd love to see a photo of where those screws are. I need to get back there and only found the 23 gauge nails used to tack it into place!
In my 25.6 the screws were in the left and right inner sidewalls of the magazine rack. I am attaching pics, I hope. Mine had 3 screws in the left side and 2 in the right side.after removing the screws, the rack was still tight and I just wiggled it and pulled on it to get it out. When I put it back, I only used one screw per side in a more convenient spot. You can see in the pics the old holes where original screws were.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39E5DABB-56B2-4A58-927C-A568B2B46BB3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	31925   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0209309-55E7-4580-9452-EF5894D1F75A.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	31926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5A7F71B-8820-4C6B-B3E5-28D34C826BB3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	31927   Click image for larger version

Name:	64053A2E-B362-49F9-AD27-C02D837406F0.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	31928  

Old 10-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #17

Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
State: California
THOR #24413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanh9 View Post
I’ve been the route of trying to remove panels, drawers, etc. It’s sitting right here behind the outdoor shower. If you happen to have an extremely long, thin arm , you can touch it by removing the top right drawer, facing back, it’s useless to try to access it that way.
Later on I will list the myriad of things that needed repair or rebuilding on our Axis 25.6. Also, how each was accomplished.
In the end, there is no better layout for a short coach than the 25.6, in my opinion. We simply decided it was better to fix stuff and keep the coach.
The end result has been very rewarding.
The journey has been down right awful!
Hi Allan,
I just got my 2022 Vegas 25.6 and your sentiment here matches my own exactly. I love this coach design and generally all key equipment is of good quality, but assembly execution is poor in many areas, especially where skilled labor is involved. I'm handy enough to fix everything myself, and even enjoy a challenge to some degree, but would be great to follow someone's previous experience to avoid making same mistakes.
Did you ever create a blog of your repairs journey? I searched the forum and couldn't find it.
I want to make removable panels in all key areas where water/electrical systems are, for easy inspection/repairs/updates, using magnetic latches instead of screws. Step one is to identify where stuff is behind trim panels, so I'll be removing drawers to see where access is needed from inside.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Here is a list of issues I found with our 2021 Axis 24.1 and a short description of the fix when required:

No power to the dash cigarette lighter outlets, probably caused by the radio falling down and shorting the terminals (see below) and blowing the fuse. Taped up the terminals to avoid possible future shorts and discovered that the fuse that serves the outlets is near impossible to get at. Decided to run a cable directly to the chassis battery, properly fused.

The radio and its attached display would fall out of its front mount. So I epoxied the front of the radio display in place and temporarily added some cabling inside to limit bouncing. Waiting on a missing radio bracket from Thor.

The Girard water heater had unnecessary bypass valves and when I set them properly the water leaked out of some of the fittings. Tightened the fittings and stopped the leaking.

During that episode I discovered that the suction tubing to the water tank was crimped and wasn't flowing well. Moved stuff around to remove the crimp.

The shower wasn't flowing fast enough to trigger the Girard hot water heater on. I unscrewed the shower wand, removed a white button with several restriction holes in it and it now works fine with plenty of flow.

I couldn't get any water through the outside shower from the cold water valve. Hot water worked fine. Removed the shower enclosure and discovered that the tubing was kinked. Rerouted the tubing, reassembled and cold now works.

The WFCO charger that is part of the converter wouldn't charge the batteries with the generator running when down 20%. Replaced it with a 60A Progressive Dynamics charger and it now charges at about 20 amps at 20% discharged, more if further discharged no doubt.

The sofa slide slides against the wall leaving a mark. Something is not aligned properly. Will take this one to the Thor dealer to resolve.

The last one is the only unresolved item. I was able to fix the others myself. I bet Thor would have paid a pretty penny to a dealer to have fixed all of these. It took me at least 100 hours to diagnose and repair them.

If I can just forget about the 100 hours invested I like the Axis 24.1 very well. Great design, just poor execution.

David

Tags
access panel, thor, vegas 25.6, water pump