Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
Anyone replaced shower skylight for Axis/Vegas?

I'm wanting to replace my shower skylight for my 2016 25.1 Axis. I'm concerned about the cheap plastic material for the outside rooftop section. But because of the depth of the skylight, I'd have to make sure the bubble size fits over the inner skylight underneath or replace the inner skylight with something with less depth. I'm short so replacing the inner skylight with something with less depth is possible.

Anyone had to deal with this issue yet?

Old 02-24-2018, 02:38 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
IMHO you should worry about a whole list of other "what it's" before that. We've been serious hail storms & that skylight has held up so far, it's actually fairly thick plastic.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:03 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Tell us why you think the "cheap plastic" skylight cover needs replaced. That is one element that I don't remember anyone ever complaining about, on Thor or any other brand. Some of the other white plastic needed replaced on a fifth wheel we had here in Florida. Specifically, a small plate sized cover and the air conditioner cover top section. They disintegrated, but not the skylights.

I had to replace both outside and inside skylights in our previous Class A, but that was because of a break-in. The crook(s) broke it out and must have lowered a kid in to unlock the door. They found there was nothing to steal. The flat-screen tvs were the old thick heavy ones, not worth carrying out. Replacing the skylights was an easy task. (I wouldn't be too upset if my remaining Seiki POS tv was stolen!)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:37 AM   #4

THOR #2733
Skylights come in all shapes and sizes. I'm used to a more rigid plexiglass type material. What I have is flimsy and stands no chance from a large hail stone. Since I live in a high risk area for hail (my jeep took 8K worth of damage last summer) it's a concern.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
the one that came on my 31L was a boxy shaped thing and very thin plastic. If the OP's is like mine I get it!

Some domes are made so that you can stand on it. I could dent mine in with a finger. Pretty sure I could have punched through it without much effort. After only a couple years the thing was showing serious UV damage so I had it changed when I had some roof work done.

I pulled my inner trim ring and inner dome off just to double check the framing and sizing before I ordered a replacement. I never did find a source for the square boxy thing but just as well, i didn't want one of those anyway...
Went with a bit more of a low profile one, replaced inner and outer as a set. No big deal. It would be an easy DIY, no different than replacing a fantastic fan in the roof really....
Old 02-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1863 View Post
Skylights come in all shapes and sizes. I'm used to a more rigid plexiglass type material. What I have is flimsy and stands no chance from a large hail stone. Since I live in a high risk area for hail (my jeep took 8K worth of damage last summer) it's a concern.
Perhaps it has been designed to "Bend; but not break" under severe conditons?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
the one that came on my 31L was a boxy shaped thing and very thin plastic. If the OP's is like mine I get it!

Some domes are made so that you can stand on it. I could dent mine in with a finger. Pretty sure I could have punched through it without much effort. After only a couple years the thing was showing serious UV damage so I had it changed when I had some roof work done.

I pulled my inner trim ring and inner dome off just to double check the framing and sizing before I ordered a replacement. I never did find a source for the square boxy thing but just as well, i didn't want one of those anyway...
Went with a bit more of a low profile one, replaced inner and outer as a set. No big deal. It would be an easy DIY, no different than replacing a fantastic fan in the roof really....
Where did you buy the one you used? Thanks
Old 03-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #8

THOR #2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps it has been designed to "Bend; but not break" under severe conditons?
Yeah when we say flexible, we don't mean in a good bend, but don't break kind of way, more of a I hope to God nothing hits it sort of way....

After all, this thing is as much of a hobby, so any excuse to tinker...
Old 03-02-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

THOR #2733
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I agree, I'm thinking of something with a lower profile, more "hail proof" and less wind resistance .
Old 03-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
Where did you buy the one you used? Thanks
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFU...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #2442
Shower Skylight cracked, hard to find replacement-

My skylight cracked just after the warranty ran out. I called Thor and they said to buy one online. The problem is that the inner plastic part is tall, 8" deep. The exterior bubble has to be around 5" deep to accommodate. I can't find one online that is not $150. My best solution so far is to replace the inner plastic with one not so deep, so that the outer one can be found. I'd like a better answer than replacing both.

The cover tore while we were on the freeway. A loud buffeting wind noise as it tore open. Fortunately I had a ladder and Duct tape.
David
Old 07-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I wonder if you could rig up some sort of clear plexiglass guard to put over the OEM skylight. That way hail could not damage it and it would be much cheaper to fab something up and install over your existing cover? Just and Idea.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #13

THOR #2442
RV skylight cover

Reason for the problem is 2 fold. One, the inner skylight plastic is 8-9" high. The RV roof is not horizontal (3.5" on the outside, 4.5" on the inside). This makes the inner plastic protrude 5" or more above the roof on the side. That is also why the 2 covers. Most exterior covers are not that high. I looked at getting a larger cover, but could not find one that deep. I did find a inner cover that was only 5" high part# SFAG1422WIDW on ebay. This will work with most roof skylight covers. I'll repost if this fails.
David
Old 08-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #14

THOR #2442
Broken Skylight of 2015 Vegas 25.2 photo

This is the Skylight I had to replace. The thinness caused cracks that widened and eventually tore open. I originally had glued the crack with gorilla glue, but that failed as well.
You can see the remains of the duct tape I had to install to get home.
David

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000245.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	12026
Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 AM   #15

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #5449
part number

Looking at this thread....but didn't see a part number that anyone had for a replacement.

I have a 2016 Axis 25.3, the Skylight for the shower cracked after UV damage and a small branch from my pine tree did it in.

Can some one help with the part number???? yes I have emailed Thor but hav yet to hear back.

Thanks in advance for the help

Cheers,
Sean
Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssillusn View Post
Looking at this thread....but didn't see a part number that anyone had for a replacement. I have a 2016 Axis 25.3, the Skylight for the shower cracked after UV damage and a small branch from my pine tree did it in. Can some one help with the part number???? yes I have emailed Thor but hav yet to hear back. Thanks in advance for the help
Cheers, Sean

Thor won't sell parts directly to you, you'll have to have a dealer place the order and send it to you. Or try to find ones to match online. From the posts on this thread, if I have to replace mine I'll use OEM from Thor through a dealer.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:38 AM   #17

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
THOR #2983
I replaced both the inner and outer skylight parts with Specialty Recreation K1422ELP Low Profile Single Pane Exterior Skylight Kit from Amazon. The original boxy one on my Hurricane was very flimsy and yellowed badly within a year. This one is polycarbonate (Lexan) and also a bit lower profile. It should hold up.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.6
State: North Carolina
THOR #23776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1863 View Post
I'm wanting to replace my shower skylight for my 2016 25.1 Axis. I'm concerned about the cheap plastic material for the outside rooftop section. But because of the depth of the skylight, I'd have to make sure the bubble size fits over the inner skylight underneath or replace the inner skylight with something with less depth. I'm short so replacing the inner skylight with something with less depth is possible.

Anyone had to deal with this issue yet?
Mine broke in a severe thunderstorm. Plastic is VERY THIN! I will need to replace mine. Any suggestions for a more heavy duty replacement?
Old 06-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #19

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Question

Did you read that previous post? Amazon still has some... two years later.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:38 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray&ReginaD View Post
Mine broke in a severe thunderstorm. Plastic is VERY THIN! I will need to replace mine. Any suggestions for a more heavy duty replacement?
Sorry to read about your needed repairs...
But Welcome to the Forum anyway!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote