Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #2221
art

Can anyone tell me what would cause my RV propane tank to suddenly release pressure. This happened twice on my last trip. First time was when we were checking into campground. I was sitting in my coach (2011 Windsport) waiting for my wife to check us in when the propane tank let out a large popping sound followed by propane gas release.

I jumped out and shut down the system. We were not traveling very far the next day, so I left the system off. We were stopped at a re light when the same thing occurred with the system shut down.

I had the system checked out at Camping World, and they said they could not find anything wrong with the system. Can anyone shed some light.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Get the manufacturer name off the tank and call them directly. Sounds like it's overfilled or you have a bad high pressure release valve. Is there anything near it that could be generating excessive heat, like generator exhaust pipe or engine exhaust pipe, etc? I would consider that serious issue.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
are you 'sure' it was propane?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by agagarcia View Post
Can anyone tell me what would cause my RV propane tank to suddenly release pressure. This happened twice on my last trip. First time was when we were checking into campground. I was sitting in my coach (2011 Windsport) waiting for my wife to check us in when the propane tank let out a large popping sound followed by propane gas release.

I jumped out and shut down the system. We were not traveling very far the next day, so I left the system off. We were stopped at a re light when the same thing occurred with the system shut down.

I had the system checked out at Camping World, and they said they could not find anything wrong with the system. Can anyone shed some light.
Gritz is most likely right, what was the ambient temp on both occaisions?
Old 07-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Agree with Gritz. With a full or overfilled tank, significant change in elevation can also cause the OPD to release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Get the manufacturer name off the tank and call them directly. Sounds like it's overfilled or you have a bad high pressure release valve. Is there anything near it that could be generating excessive heat, like generator exhaust pipe or engine exhaust pipe, etc? I would consider that serious issue.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #6

THOR #2221
Thanks f the info. I will get the manufacturer info and give them a call. I will let you know what I find out in case it happens to anyone else.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
RV ASME tanks (not DOT bottles) pressure relief valves open at 312 psi for RV and motor fuel tanks. That equates to 138 degrees F at sea level. If your tanks is up front near the engine or close to the exhaust that could cause the problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote