Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Axis Swintec Slide Lubrication

After viewing the Swintec Slide Lubrication video, I tried to lubricate the slide on my 2016 Axis 24.1. Lubricating the slide as shown on the video is relatively simple and straight forward from outside the Axis with the slide all the way out. However, the video says that you should lubricate the slide from both slides. From the inside, the slide has to be in at least part way. Even with the slide all the way in, it is possible to lubricate the upper and lower slides next to the driver's seat by moving the seat all the way forward. However, to lubricate either of the slides next to the bathroom - either with the slide in or out or any where in between - you will have to find someone two inches wide. I don't see how those slides can ever be lubricated from inside the Axis 24.1. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #1249
I don't have any good solution to the inside and it looks as if the face trim would have to come off to access the aft area and even them, the bottom may not be accessible. If you had a long nozzle for the application, you may could reach the inside from outside.
Also, I have been spraying lithium grease on the racks instead of using silicone spray. I don't have the crunching and grinding using the grease. The lithium grease does not seem to attract dirt and dust once dry.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
slide lube

I got mine from the inside on my axis 25.1 with the slide all the way in and a longer spray tube from home depot. I had to stand on a stool and use two hands to get the job done. also schwintec does not recommend putting any grease on the slide track or gears.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:44 AM   #4

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
I got mine from the inside on my axis 25.1 with the slide all the way in and a longer spray tube from home depot. I had to stand on a stool and use two hands to get the job done. also schwintec does not recommend putting any grease on the slide track or gears.
Looking at the floor plan for your 25.1 I can see how it might be possible with the end table against the wall. Unfortunately in the 24.1 there is nothing between the end of the couch and the wall and no way to get between the couch and the wall. You're right Swintec does not recommend lubing the slide itself.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #5

THOR #1765
I sent the question to Lipert-Schwintec and got a reply that makes me a lot more comfortable. Lubricate the slide from the outside and it will be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	2554  
Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Slide lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I don't have any good solution to the inside and it looks as if the face trim would have to come off to access the aft area and even them, the bottom may not be accessible. If you had a long nozzle for the application, you may could reach the inside from outside.
Also, I have been spraying lithium grease on the racks instead of using silicone spray. I don't have the crunching and grinding using the grease. The lithium grease does not seem to attract dirt and dust once dry.
I like the lithium grease idea. Why not?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
I like the lithium grease idea. Why not?
It attracts dirt. Schwintec says not to lubricate the track, only the gears and slide area that touches the gears.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Only use a silicone spray lube on the motors & rails, dirt doesn't stick & won't harm the rubber seals.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:53 AM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Only use a silicone spray lube on the motors & rails, dirt doesn't stick & won't harm the rubber seals.
If you know more than the manufacturer, go ahead and do that.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If you know more than the manufacturer, go ahead and do that.
How 'bout not getting snotty! Im simply passing along what I was told to do by the guys at the CR service center, so I'll keep doing it their way whether you agree I could care less.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote