Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Battery disconnect relay

Has anyone had problems with the battery disconnect relay? I have a 2018 Chateau and mine seems to be having intermittent problems. When I push the switch to turn on power, I can hear the relay clicking, but it doesn't latch. I checked the relay fuses and they are good. I tapped on the relay with a hammer and then it finally latched, but now it won't turn off, so it looks as if the problem is the relay itself.

This looks like it will work as a replacement. Agree?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Z952Q1YW&psc=1

Old 01-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
I had the same issue on our 2018 Chateau. With the issue of the switch not turning the power on, I found out that the battery had run down. Then , I found out that I had hit the switch one time when the shore power was plugged in and had gotten the power "out of sequence". The way to check if it is just that. Unplug Shore power, Turn off Coach battery. Turn coach battery back on and leave on when plugging in shore battery. This worked with mine. I found out the issue with the battery run down when I could not switch on the power, so I started the unit and after a couple of minutes, I could switch the power on. Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #3

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Thanks for the reply.

In the past, mine had taken a few tries before the relay would latch on, but would eventually work. Recently, I had some work done at a dealer. They replaced the power converter as part of the work, and when I tried to turn on the power at the disconnect switch it would not turn on. The dealer said that the battery had just gone dead and they needed to charge back up, but even after driving for over an hour with the generator running the battery disconnect would not turn on. I only had DC power with the generator running or shore power plugged in. I checked voltage at the batteries and it was good. That's when I checked the relay fuses and banged on it, and it started to work intermittently.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
As I remember, back in the day, When a starter solenoid started to go bad that sometimes you had to hit it with a hammer to get it to work until you could afford to buy another one. I guess either take it back to the repair shop and tell them they caused the problem and have them repair it, or , buy a new solenoid and install it yourself!