Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Auxiliary fuel tank fill. 2018 Thor 37rb

I went to fill my auxiliary 27 gallon tank in my Thor 37rb. It would not take any fuel but the tank is empty. I had recently filled it five or six times with no problem. Has anyone had this problem before?

Old 01-13-2019, 02:24 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, well I see no responses to you so far.....so how about a WAG (wild a$$ guess):
If you are certain the tank is empty I would suggest that there is a problem with the vent line and I am assuming when you say fuel wont go in, you see it bubbling back out at the fill device and you when you try to fill. The reason I suggest this is on my ACE when filling the fresh water tank, if the tank vent line fills with water any new water going into the main fill line will stop filling and come bubbling right back out all over. I use a short piece of rubber hose to clear the vent line (blow it back into the tank). Do you have any way to verify the vent line (if equipped or visible at the fill point) is clear of fluids or other obstructions? Vent lines should be located above the main fill pipe or accidental plugging can occur.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
would it not fill (no gas flowed) or would it keep clicking off? my understanding is there's a vent pipe that follows the fluid pipe to make sure all the "gas air" that gets replaces with liquid gas goes back up the fill pipe, though the pump, and back into the underground tank. this is to keep the gas form evaporating and has to do with emission bullshit. if the vent pipe is clogged or disconnected, i believe the pump is smart enough to sense this and cease and desist any gasoline dispensing thereof.

i would love to mount a auxiliary tank in my 31e just for the generator. and setup a main to genny or vice versa pump as a backup so i dont get stranded.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #4

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, well I see no responses to you so far.....so how about a WAG (wild a$$ guess):
If you are certain the tank is empty I would suggest that there is a problem with the vent line and I am assuming when you say fuel wont go in, you see it bubbling back out at the fill device and you when you try to fill. The reason I suggest this is on my ACE when filling the fresh water tank, if the tank vent line fills with water any new water going into the main fill line will stop filling and come bubbling right back out all over. I use a short piece of rubber hose to clear the vent line (blow it back into the tank). Do you have any way to verify the vent line (if equipped or visible at the fill point) is clear of fluids or other obstructions? Vent lines should be located above the main fill pipe or accidental plugging can occur.
Yes the pump keeps shutting off. I will check the ventline. Thanks for the advice
Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
After a bit of reading, the gas filler auto shut off occurs when fuel comes up the fill neck and reaches the sense tube on the fuel pump filler nozzle. So if this is happening multiple times on an empty tank then a restriction in the main fill tube is possible (something blocking the throat or a kink in the line between tank and fill opening perhaps) causing fuel to prematurely fill the tube.

Perhaps the fuel is pumping in too fast for the size of the fuel tank throat (try another gas station/pump or try pumping slower). The EVAP system may have a restriction or may not be allowing vapors to escape fast enough internally? Probably inspecting the fuel fill line from fill opening to tank would be a starting point. It will be interesting to see what you find out.