Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Ohio
THOR #11088
Awning Cap

I have a 2015 Thor Windsport 34J and the awning cover was knocked off by a limb on a very narrow road.

Also, my ladder needs all new long bolts and my antenna needs a connection for two male ends. Basically the antenna is male and the bolt on the roof is male. The female adapter is gone.

Is there a one stop shop to get all these parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	9473  

Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I have had good luck with PPL Motorhomes, but they may not have everything.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/rv-parts-rv-accessories
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The patio awning is a Latitude by Carefree of Colorado. They sell directly to owners. Operating manual and illustrated parts breakdown is on the web site.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I had to order my end cap through an RV repair shop locally. Freight was a few dollars more than the cap was. They sent the complete cap but only needed the outside part. I didn't try to order direct. Probably would have saved about 1/2.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 34J
State: Ohio
THOR #11088
Thank you so much Beau388 for the information! I was able to order directly from them.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupman View Post
I have a 2015 Thor Windsport 34J and the awning cover was knocked off by a limb on a very narrow road.

Also, my ladder needs all new long bolts and my antenna needs a connection for two male ends. Basically the antenna is male and the bolt on the roof is male. The female adapter is gone.

Is there a one stop shop to get all these parts?
Heres the part number for the caps

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20180116_223020.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	9509
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupman View Post
Thank you so much Beau388 for the information! I was able to order directly from them.
Guess I was a little late with the part number (: I didnt see this post
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:24 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Not necessarily true

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I had to order my end cap through an RV repair shop locally. Freight was a few dollars more than the cap was. They sent the complete cap but only needed the outside part. I didn't try to order direct. Probably would have saved about 1/2.
I actually ordered a complete set of arms for my Travel'r from Amazon for $703, no shipping and Carefree's website had them separate for just over $1000 for the pair so I saved over $300 NOT buying from the factory. They are actual arms from Carefree, not generic ones and they matched perfectly. I also bought a wind sensor for it from Amazon for $78, Carefree's website had it for $115...again, it was an actual Carefree factory part in a factory box. Just because you can buy direct doesn't always mean it's cheaper.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:09 AM   #9

Model: 34p hurricane
State: British Columbia
THOR #7888
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
how do you install the outside end cap
Old 07-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
I actually ordered a complete set of arms for my Travel'r from Amazon for $703, no shipping and Carefree's website had them separate for just over $1000 for the pair so I saved over $300 NOT buying from the factory. They are actual arms from Carefree, not generic ones and they matched perfectly. I also bought a wind sensor for it from Amazon for $78, Carefree's website had it for $115...again, it was an actual Carefree factory part in a factory box. Just because you can buy direct doesn't always mean it's cheaper.
Post the link for that wind sensor please. Does it work well? Easy to install?
Old 07-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #12

THOR #6411
Quote:
Carrefree of Colorado patio awnings do not have a wind sensor. They do have a movement sensor. It is part of the control module in the forward end cap where the roller motor is located. It is simply a remove and replace operation In order for the movement sensor to work, the control module must be powered continually. If your control unit is not continually powered you will need the upgrade kit. When the control module senses two rapid up and down movements within 5 seconds, the awning will retract. You can test the system by hitting the roller's end with a stick or broom twice in rapid succession. The "direct response unit" is available as a separate unit from Carefree of Colorado or on Amazon.

To answer the installation the end caps just snap on and are easily dislodged. Most of us have learned to add a little silicone to the edges of the snap locks so the covers do not blow off on rough roads.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... But movement caused by wind; is probably our largest concern...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Post a link to the entire kit please.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #15

THOR #6411
Quote:
Post a link to the entire kit please.
<https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/ExplodedPartsViewController?productId=91>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81VTYE98r4L._AC_UL320_.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	32067  
Old 07-15-2021, 02:12 AM   #16

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I have Carefree Awning. I had to pay $18 to get a $2.25 part that they said is in stock but you have to buy of two That was three weeks ago. This thread reminded me; so I called them to get status and they requested my email so they cold get back with me as it has not shipped yet. It is a round plug that goes into a end cap. Not the endcap itself. So if I ever get it, I guess I will have spare it another falls out

On my awnings and wind. My Carefree does not have a wind sensor. One day I was letting the awning out to show to some folks. It had been out about 30 minutes and I noticed a slight wind; so I decided to put it back in to be safe. As it started to roll up the wind caught it and looked like a parachute I quickly let it back out and it stabilized. The wind continued, and it held it's own. I was afraid to try to roll it back up again. So I waited until the wind died and then rolled it back in

Only thing I don't love about my Carefree Awning is if I inadvertently turn on the LED lights while it is rolled up, I have no way of knowing it unless going to look at switch.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #17

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

On my awnings and wind. My Carefree does not have a wind sensor. One day I was letting the awning out to show to some folks. It had been out about 30 minutes and I noticed a slight wind; so I decided to put it back in to be safe. As it started to roll up the wind caught it and looked like a parachute I quickly let it back out and it stabilized. The wind continued, and it held it's own. I was afraid to try to roll it back up again. So I waited until the wind died and then rolled it back in

Only thing I don't love about my Carefree Awning is if I inadvertently turn on the LED lights while it is rolled up, I have no way of knowing it unless going to look at switch.
The C of C Latitude Patio awning is OEM only. Your coach's manufacture did not order the movement sensor in their batch of awnings. C of C does offer an upgrade to individuals on their web site (or you can usually find it on Amazon.com). It is easy to test the awning to see if the movement sensor is installed and working properly. Put the awning out and just hit the motor end (forward end) twice in rapid succession with a pole or broom. If it stays in position, no sensor, if it starts to retract, the sensor is working correctly

As for the LED light strip - you can replace the switch with a switch with an indicator light since the LEDs are not computer controlled. For me, I just installed a small bright LED beside the switch since I had a bunch leftover from rewiring previous RVs.
I just wish they had wired the retract function through the Bussman fuse and relay board so that the awning would retract when the ignition is on. Since mine is wired through the Rapid Camp remote, I have not figured how that could work and still keep the Rapid Camp option
Old 07-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #18

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The C of C Latitude Patio awning is OEM only. Your coach's manufacture did not order the movement sensor in their batch of awnings. C of C does offer an upgrade to individuals on their web site (or you can usually find it on Amazon.com). It is easy to test the awning to see if the movement sensor is installed and working properly. Put the awning out and just hit the motor end (forward end) twice in rapid succession with a pole or broom. If it stays in position, no sensor, if it starts to retract, the sensor is working correctly

As for the LED light strip - you can replace the switch with a switch with an indicator light since the LEDs are not computer controlled. For me, I just installed a small bright LED beside the switch since I had a bunch leftover from rewiring previous RVs.
I just wish they had wired the retract function through the Bussman fuse and relay board so that the awning would retract when the ignition is on. Since mine is wired through the Rapid Camp remote, I have not figured how that could work and still keep the Rapid Camp option

I think I was trying to say from my brief experience and encounters with the wind while awning is extended, I am not so sure that have it retract when wind is sensed is a good thing? If it start to retracts wind can catch and I have seen it lift in the air like parachute, I quickly stopped it and let it extend where it seemed to be stronger to support itself when fully extended. I know it is safer when retracted, just cause me to pause because depending on wind speed and direction, auto retract may actually allow some damage?

I do have a green indicator on awning light switch, but it is down in the stair well near disconnect switch so you don't see down there. During the day even if you did it would be a challenge to see the green LED. I was thinking if it would auto shut off when rolled up, or maybe a part of LED was visible on side so you could see when outdoors to turn off. The latter is basically what I do if I leave the Patio light on.

I haven't thought about your last point. Good idea, if the steps can retract why not the awning? Or at least beep like the levelers do. I will have to go out and see what actually happens on mine.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
D,
There's no harm in retracting it during a gusty moment. If anything: it will provide less area to catch the wind.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:11 AM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Mine has an auto retract with adjustable sensitivity. Even with that feature I rarely leave the awning extended unless I’m actually sitting under it.