Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Before heading out on our trip I washed the rig and treated the roof. Get to our first stop, and the awning does nothing. Fuses and breakers are good. Could I have done something while washing? Suggestions?
I had to replace the motor. It was about $45.00 at Advanced Auto. It had a lifetime warranty which is good because it is bad again :-(

Old 07-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #22

Model: 25.2 Vegas
State: Vermont
THOR #12683
dlonerg

We had a simular issue with our awning. Turned out to be a wire up outside the awning motor was cut from rubbing on the metal sharp edges of the motor. We only removed the outside covering on the motor. We used a little electrical tape to help temporarily until we can get a new wire harness and reattached the motor cover. Have you gotten up and taken the cover off the motor? Look very carefully around we missed it the first time we took the cover off.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Florida
THOR #10951
Awning Not Working

This is what I found, Awning Not Working

As Mentioned Previously:
For Safety, Always set your Parking Brake.
Verify your ignition is turned off (take keys out and lay on driver’s seat).
Verify your 12v fuses are operational (If you have fuses for this).
Verify outside the awning framework. Look to see if motor wires are frayed.

Here is what I found in my situation. Where the Awning arms came into contact with the Awning frame, the framework was "in a pinch" or "bind."

There is a 7/16" nut for adjustment above the passenger door sticking above the motor cover(See Pix), I took my cover off. Take a ratchet with a 7/16th socket and back out the nut slowly. The awning arm will back away from the framework. After about 1 inch or so, try your electric switch. The awning should move. Rotate the awning out, away from the Coach. Problem solved?

After verifying all the above, make plans to replace motor under warranty if there is still an issue. Let us know what you found, okay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-16th Nut on Awning Motor on 2018 Thor Chateau 31W IMG 02.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	19110  

ormondcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #10857
Awning

Quote:
Before heading out on our trip I washed the rig and treated the roof. Get to our first stop, and the awning does nothing. Fuses and breakers are good. Could I have done something while washing? Suggestions?
I had a similar problem with my 2018 Thor axis 24.1 I checked the switch , in-line fuse ( which is behind the use/store awning in out and step light switches. Check the fuse and replace if bad then go to the breaker panel and remove the cover check the red wire on the 12volt side mine had worked loose tighten the lug and you should be good to go ... if this doesn’t fix the problem you have to open the front cover on the awning and check the motor and control module
Old 07-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck25 View Post
I had a similar problem with my 2018 Thor axis 24.1 I checked the switch , in-line fuse ( which is behind the use/store awning in out and step light switches. Check the fuse and replace if bad then go to the breaker panel and remove the cover check the red wire on the 12volt side mine had worked loose tighten the lug and you should be good to go ... if this doesn’t fix the problem you have to open the front cover on the awning and check the motor and control module
The multiplex system has no switch so no inline fuse
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
The multiplex system has no switch so no inline fuse
The red wire to the motor should always be hot (12 volts) or else the auto retract would not work. Check for 12 volts at the motor (red and black wires). If you have no voltage, then it is probably a wiring problem. If you have voltage try crossing brown and yellow wires and the awning should move out. To retract cross the yellow and gray wires. If nothing moves you have a dead motor.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote