Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Auto Leveling

Just got back from a Three day stay at the Thor repair facility in Wakarusa. One of my items was the Auto Leveling System. I know that most would say that they manual level anyway, but I figure if its a feature on the coach, it should work. When they Auto Leveled it on their lot which has a slight grade to it, the front wheels came off the ground. They zero point calibrated it and it did the same thing again. They changed the control module and it leveled perfect without taking the wheels off the ground. I love going there! Those guys really know whats going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	11564  

Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on getting it done... right!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 AM   #3

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Glad to hear they got you fixed up. The folks at the Walkarusa shop are top notch. Every time we've been there they have gone over our coach from top to bottom checking seals and adjusting things I didn't even list. Outstanding group!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:26 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Florida
THOR #11425
Umm are the front wheels not supposed to leave the ground when auto-leveling? What if they do?
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 AM   #5

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #5584
Retract the levelers. Put the tri-level ramps in front of the tires, drive up until nearly level. Add some "lego blocks" under the front levelers, and hit auto level again.

Then, add a portable step of some sort under the front door step, cause that first one is going to be a long one!
Old 07-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
That certainly is the correct way to do it. The coach will be more stable and perhaps a bit safer if all of the tires are touching the ground. They provide all of the lateral stability to prevent side loads from being applied to jacks that are no doubt far extended if the wheels are off the ground. That said I don’t get fuzzed up if one or both front wheels are off the ground a bit. I won’t let the rears be off the ground because that is where the parking brake and the transmission locked wheels are. Once they are off the ground you lose all kinds of stability!
Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
Retract the levelers. Put the tri-level ramps in front of the tires, drive up until nearly level. Add some "lego blocks" under the front levelers, and hit auto level again.

Then, add a portable step of some sort under the front door step, cause that first one is going to be a long one!
I had my front wheels just off the ground... The Missus had a heckuva time with that first step!
I bought her an adjustable step-stool, and she's happy now!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:53 AM   #8

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I used to do auto level but no more. I found i could get the coach level fast and better by manual level

I dont like to lift any of the tires off the ground

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

State: Michigan
THOR #3954
Now if Thor can figure out how to duplicate the service staff expertise to the manufacturing line...

In our experience with two Miramars almost all the issues they fixed should not have happened if there were any level of QC during assembly.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #10

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I used to do auto level but no more. I found i could get the coach level fast and better by manual level

Jerry
I manual level as well, much faster for me. I do need to read how to do the re-zero leveling reset. It was (my wife) using the auto level that ran our rear levelers all the way out, lifting the tires about 4" off the ground. Then, blew the breaker, but didn't know that at the time. Took me 3 hrs to get it back on the ground...
Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #11

Model: Ace 30.1
THOR #2377
Auto Leveler

Hey Gang, My auto leveler appears to work great but after 2 or 3 days the coach seams to rock when any wind or my 6' 3" son comes to stay for a couple days. Normal or is there a leak?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #12

THOR #11425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Just got back from a Three day stay at the Thor repair facility in Wakarusa. One of my items was the Auto Leveling System. I know that most would say that they manual level anyway, but I figure if its a feature on the coach, it should work. When they Auto Leveled it on their lot which has a slight grade to it, the front wheels came off the ground. They zero point calibrated it and it did the same thing again. They changed the control module and it leveled perfect without taking the wheels off the ground. I love going there! Those guys really know whats going on.

So the wheels are NOT supposed to come off the ground? Mine do.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #13

THOR #11425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwaters Still View Post
Hey Gang, My auto leveler appears to work great but after 2 or 3 days the coach seams to rock when any wind or my 6' 3" son comes to stay for a couple days. Normal or is there a leak?

Can't say if it's normal or not, but mine does the same thing. It surprised me that a 200 lb person moving around inside could make the coach rock when it's on jacks.

Also, I'm assuming everyone else has heard the creepy "ccchhhing" sound that happens intermittently when their MH is on jacks on gravel?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Mine makes more noise than my knees do; when I'm trying to get up out of my "comfy chair"...
Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
So the jacks stabilize the coach but not necessarily prevent it from rocking. As for lifting the coach off the ground it is well able too but it's not recommended. I recently got into a site that I could not level...the front tires were 14" off the ground. That was scary. We simply went to the main office and explained the situation and they moved us. What concerned me most was lowering the coach so the jack pistons wouldn't tweak and cause them to bend. They lowered with no issue.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Use manual level and never level out so far that the tires come off the ground. The jacks are not dock pilings...they are "fence posts" that only hold a vertical load. Beware also of leveling the rear too much....this is where the brakes are that keep you from rolling away. If you are on an incline and raise the rear wheels too high, you might find yourself sitting there a few days waiting on someone to remove the bent jacks from under the coach.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #17

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:

Jerry
Jerry, you say you never auto level. Is there a rule or SOP to follow to know when the MH is level? Or do you have to always take along a level and run back and forth to get it level both ways. Man level at this point seems to be a 30 minute job. Auto is quick but mine is starting to no longer level well.

Auto level is leaving me leaning a little to the left. Front to back is ok. That's checked inside with a level.

Just curious. I see a number of people say man lev but I haven't seen the magic instructions to know when it's set.
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #18

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
Jerry, you say you never auto level. Is there a rule or SOP to follow to know when the MH is level? Or do you have to always take along a level and run back and forth to get it level both ways. Man level at this point seems to be a 30 minute job. Auto is quick but mine is starting to no longer level well.

Auto level is leaving me leaning a little to the left. Front to back is ok. That's checked inside with a level.

Just curious. I see a number of people say man lev but I haven't seen the magic instructions to know when it's set.
Thanks.
Sounds like you need to do a reset to calibrate level. Sorry dont know how to do this but many people have posted the steps

I just go by the four lights on my monitor and follow this procedure.

1. Lower rear jacks until I feel them hit the ground

2. Lower front jacks until I feel them hit the ground

3 Lower right side until I feel it hit

4 Lower left side until feel it hit

Left and right will most likely already be on the ground. So I lower then til they move the mh Usually only a quick tap of the button

5 Raise which ever side is lower by what the monitor says. Little at a time until the red light on the low side goes to green in the middle indicating level.

6 Raise the front and right side a hair to allow the ac condensation to run toward the left back of the mh.

7 Check level with the app I have on my cell phone

This only takes a minute or so to do

On the last couple of trips it felt like the mh was low to the front. SO this last trip I took out the level and checked several different spots on the floor, kitchen counter, and stove top. All level

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Same as halfprice...leveling doesn't have to be an exact science. The gyro in your brain will indicate it's own level if you just walk through the coach as you level. I don't think there's a surface anywhere that is perfectly level in any coach. I have the little green bubble device that came with previous TT. If its anywhere near close to center...level is good enough for me. I never auto-level anymore. Take a few seconds between each "action" and give the computer time to read it. The lights on the panel will tell you which direction you need to raise...or lower, if you've over-leveled in any direction.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #20

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Sounds like you need to do a reset to calibrate level. Sorry dont know how to do this but many people have posted the steps

I just go by the four lights on my monitor and follow this procedure.

1. Lower rear jacks until I feel them hit the ground

2. Lower front jacks until I feel them hit the ground

3 Lower right side until I feel it hit

4 Lower left side until feel it hit

Left and right will most likely already be on the ground. So I lower then til they move the mh Usually only a quick tap of the button

5 Raise which ever side is lower by what the monitor says. Little at a time until the red light on the low side goes to green in the middle indicating level.

6 Raise the front and right side a hair to allow the ac condensation to run toward the left back of the mh.

7 Check level with the app I have on my cell phone

This only takes a minute or so to do

On the last couple of trips it felt like the mh was low to the front. SO this last trip I took out the level and checked several different spots on the floor, kitchen counter, and stove top. All level

Jerry

Thank you for sharing the information.

Also The Gritz Carlton.