Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Axis 24.1 2016 fresh water system

Help please. How do I access the isolation valves to winterize the water heater ? Where is the drain for the fresh water tank located ? How do I locate the 12 volt water pump ? Thanks. The guy that did the walk around on my camper wasn't too thorough.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
The bypass valves for the water heater are located behind the return air panel below the clothes closet (4 screws holding the panel in place) and the fresh water tank, drain valves (both fresh water and low point drains, and fresh water pump are underneath the passenger side bed. Just open the wood panel under the bed for access.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

THOR #3372
Axis 24.1 fresh water system

Thanks Larry. I'll go right out and take a look. Nick
Old 12-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #4

THOR #3372
Larry- I found all those things. Thanks again. I have a question about the "heat pads " for the grey and black water tanks. They were listed as an option on our Axis 24.1 . Exactly what are they talking about. I envision some sort of electric heating pads that keep the liquids in the tanks from freezing. In my reading I think they are just air ducts that blow warm air in those compartments when the propane furnace is running. Any thoughts ?
Old 12-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #5

THOR #3372
I found out today that changing the chassis battery located under the " hood " might be a real chore. It is definitely a difficult task just to check the water level in the cells because of the small space above the battery. The Thor manual mentions "taking the work Station inside the cabin on the passengers side out " to replace that battery. You would think they would have installed a sealed Maintenance free battery if that is the case. It's a fact that it can not be removed from the front of the coach with the Hood open. This is definitely an engineering flaw unless I find out differently.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:13 AM   #6

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104 View Post
Larry- I found all those things. Thanks again. I have a question about the "heat pads " for the grey and black water tanks. They were listed as an option on our Axis 24.1 . Exactly what are they talking about. I envision some sort of electric heating pads that keep the liquids in the tanks from freezing. In my reading I think they are just air ducts that blow warm air in those compartments when the propane furnace is running. Any thoughts ?
Nick,
The heating pads are as you envision. That being pads attached to the grey and black tanks which are supposed to supply enough warmth to keep the liquids from freezing on those cold nights. Think I have only turned mine on once while camping and the temperature was supposed to be around freezing.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #7

THOR #3372
Heating Pads for holding tanks

Thanks Larry- I really appreciate you helping. I have been camping for over 40 years and recently upgraded our 2001 Pleasure-Way Class B camper van to this 2016 Axis 24.1. I guess I was spoiled by Pleasure-way. Their quality and workmanship were excellent. I do like the extra room we gained and the fact that we can seat and sleep 5 now vs. 2 with the 2001 PW Ford with that great V-10 engine. It was on a E-350 chassis and this 24.1 is on the E-450 chassis with the 6 speed tranny. One more thing, where is the switch that turns the heat pads on and off located ? I trust you have noticed that the chassis battery is very difficult to replace and add distilled water. Any helpful advice for that battery location. I read in the manual that the passenger work station has to be removed to get the battery out. I'm not happy about that. Thanks again !!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In our 24.1 the switches for the heating pads are in between the slide and the pump switches (they are red in this picture):

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104
I found out today that changing the chassis battery located under the " hood " might be a real chore. It is definitely a difficult task just to check the water level in the cells because of the small space above the battery. The Thor manual mentions "taking the work Station inside the cabin on the passengers side out " to replace that battery. You would think they would have installed a sealed Maintenance free battery if that is the case. It's a fact that it can not be removed from the front of the coach with the Hood open. This is definitely an engineering flaw unless I find out differently.
Indeed it is a bear; user srolfe had to remove his, read this thread for more information:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...tery-1317.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

THOR #3372
Heating pads

Thanks- pretty obvious. I was charged for an option I don't have. At least I don't have those 2 red switches. I'll investigate further and see if the pads are installed.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104 View Post
...cut...I trust you have noticed that the chassis battery is very difficult to replace and add distilled water. Any helpful advice for that battery location. I read in the manual that the passenger work station has to be removed to get the battery out. I'm not happy about that. Thanks again !!
Sorry for the late reply but I noticed that Jamie has provided you with an answer to your question. Jamie is quite knowledgeable about RVing and the Axis in particular. He has answered quite a few of my questions since we got ours and has been a lot of help. Lots of other knowledgeable folks on here as well.

I just hope that chassis battery last a long, long time. It will be quite a back breaker to change it out for sure. But as far as adding the distilled water, you might want to invest in one of these as I have.
https://flow-rite.com/battery-wateri...qwik-fill/kits

It's very easy to install and makes adding the water much easier. I have it on the chassis and coach battery. If you do order one, be sure to order the squeeze bulb attachment as well.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 AM   #11

THOR #4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
In our 24.1 the switches for the heating pads are in between the slide and the pump switches (they are red in this picture):

Indeed it is a bear; user srolfe had to remove his, read this thread for more information:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...tery-1317.html
Jamie, do the tank heaters use electric or propane?
I've not stuck my head underneath to see how attached and to what. I've used them the last two nights in a Utah with temps dropping to high 20's. Thanks very much. ~debbie