Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3401
Angry Axis 24.1

Just got my unit back from the factory having all the front windows replaced and many frontal areas needing resealing done. I have owned this unit since Sept 2014 and due to so many issues have not used as designed. Also has 3600 miles recorded, all for trips to purchase RV store or back to factory. In any case just getting it back transportation group placed in my parking area and yesterday, taking advantage of a fair day in upstate New York went to place fuel in tank, as was delivered on E. I found that neither the backup camera or the radio is working. I have ensured the Store switch is in the USE position and all other items are working. Has anyone or can anyone make a suggestion as to what might be causing this issue? I do believe this could be a vehicle fuse and thus would also like to know where that might be located. I have made a somewhat attempt to find, but no luck.

Thanks to any assistance.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sept 2014: Do you have the Jensen radio? (I suspect you might).
When you say "I found that neither the backup camera or the radio is working" do you mean that the radio powers up but you get no video from the backup camera and no audio when set on radio? or do you mean the radio doesn't power up? The Jensen with a black screen not doing anything is very common. Typically you can have Jensen warranty replace the unit with the next model (215)--it is really easy to swap them and now Jensen even sends you the 215 with a harness so that the 212 cable simply plugs right in.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #3

THOR #3401
Angry 2015 Axis

Yep sure do. I was just out there again attempting to determine what is causing no power to the radio and thus when shifting into Reverse no camera is engage, that I can tell due to the black screen. Now I was guessing that there might be a fuse issues so pulled the fuses that related to the radio/camera from the Ford manual. In any case the fuses that are indicated are all fine. Replaced to their position and also used the reset button on the actual radio. Well now we have some additional and maybe even more an issue. I got the idea to put in a CD to see if the CD would generate some power and maybe even play. Well it did generate power to the Jenson and played the CD, no screen still blank. Removed the CD, screen stayed blank, but the radio came on, blank screen. Now the new or additional issue, the radio cannot be turned off, continue play. I even pulled the fuses that I believe control the radio, but still playing. Any idea? I believe that I will need to determine just who is responsible for the radio item, might just be me.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
On the 24.1 the radio fuse is actually in the box in the outside storage compartment right under the drivers seat--you should find a fuse panel in the black box there.

The Jensen also has a fuse in the back of the unit; thus you have to pull the unit to get to that fuse (in my camper the fuse in the back of the radio was rated higher than the one Thor put in the outside storage unit! LOL).
Old 01-09-2016, 11:04 PM   #5

THOR #3401
Angry 2015 Axis

Thanks for the fuse box information. I will check in the morning on the fuse box where you mention. I however did find within the Thor and Ford documentation indicate 3 places where fuses exist. One within the coach itself under the refrig contain 11 fuses, none of which belong to the radio. I found the two others belong to the Ford with one under the hood on the left side of the unit, none of which belong to the radio. Now Ford documentation indicate the other to the left of the break peddle and sure enough there is was. Documentation indicates that fuse 41 controls the Radio, Rearview Camera, etc. I pulled said fuse and nothing happened, Radio/CD player continues to play. Of course the radio On/Off button still does not work correctly, turning on and off the unit.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 AM   #6

THOR #3401
Unhappy 2015 Axis

Jamie thanks for the outside box info and did find within documentation. Me being me I could not wait until tomorrow to see if I could pull some fuse and cut off the radio from continues play. Well open the fuse box you noted and did pull the fuse related to the radio and yep radio stopped and quite in the unit. Of course have since gotten some additional information regarding my current issue and seems Jensen radio is most likely the issue. Now must determine just who is responsible, my guess is now me as so much time has passed since purchase, but will try with Thor and see. Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #3421
Have you pulled the unit out yet and checked all your connections?
Same blank screen for me, took a few minutes by pulling radio, disconnecting and reconnecting plugs... Works fine, all cameras now work and screen is fully functional.
Although not entirely sure it won't happen again in the future, will see!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #8

THOR #3401
Angry 2015 Axis

Well put the fuse back in to have radio continue to play and began to see about removing radio from dash. Before removing the bolts that hold the unit in the dash reached up behind and began to push all connecting wires to ensure they are completing the connections. Do believe some had come loose, but hard to believe. In any case the unit screen engaged and could turn radio on and off. Tried the cameras, started engine and placed shifter in R, rear camera came on, also used turn signals and both cameras engaged. Taught had made a break through, but within a few minutes screen began to fade and once again could not turn unit on or off. Continued to reach in back and push cables and connectors. Seemed to have some luck, but again issues with on/off. Now I notice that the time is not advancing, since now have the time showing. This now leads me to believe once again as in the past this just might be a power/battery issue, guessing. Any takers in ideas?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
There isn't any bolts holding the radio in the dash. There are two loops of wire in the bag with all the owner's manuals (at least they came with ours). You push the loops into the four holes in the radio (two on either side) and simply pull the radio out.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #10

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #3421
If you can't find the loops, I used a metal hanger and pushed each of the 4 holes in faceplate, radio popped right out.
Then disconnected and reconnected power supply and a few of the othe clips(Im guessing it was the power clip that did the trick...
Took 5 minutes and was pretty easy.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #11

Model: 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3385
Take four 16 penney nails and insert them into the four holes on the faceplate of your radio. This should release the retainer locks so that the radio can be pulled out. Check the fuse next to the wiring harness and the cable connections going to cameras.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:54 AM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRohan View Post
Now I notice that the time is not advancing, since now have the time showing. This now leads me to believe once again as in the past this just might be a power/battery issue, guessing. Any takers in ideas?
It is the radio... as I have had both the blank screen and frozen time...
Completely unplugging the radio for days - then plugging back in seemed to reset something in mine - though I'm sure hasn't FIXED anything.
(leaving it unplugged for 24 hours got me from blank screen to frozen time...)

The trigger seems to be the application of power with the USE/STORE switch - but the problem is a known issue in the radio... If you can get it to fail - and are still under warranty (I was not) - you should be able to get it replaced with the 215.